Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Catch and Kick on January 12, 2015, 06:44:07 PM
I always feel offended by these claims of Joe brolly and Eugene McGee. I have managed my club seniors on and off for about ten years and never received a red cent. There are many like me. And I would say that most inter county managers do not get paid. It's easy grab headlines and like Dr Moyna said - 'Joe deals in hearsay, I deal in facts'...

Fixed that for ya

theskull1

I always feel offended by these claims of Joe brolly and Eugene McGee. I have managed my club seniors on and off for about ten years and never received a red cent.
Why get offended? He's not referring to true volunteers like you. Strange
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ck

Some people go out of their way to be offended by Brolly. The reality is that he speaks the truth. Truth is that most self serving GAA board officials, managers and players are happy with staus quo. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

I heard Brolly on radio yesterday with Niall Moyna. Moyna came across as a pompous so and so. "I deal in facts" my arse. You deal in scholarships and paying Young lads to come to your college Mr.Moyna.

Brolly genuinely is concerned were the GAA is going. Moyna is genuinely concerned about DCU pulling in more big name players on scholarships.

DennistheMenace

Payment of club managers is a cancer of our game, it is happening in every single county, probably across all divisions. £200 a session for top tier club in Derry and this was considered 'reasonable'. The manager feels like he has to train 3 nights a week and gets his money and feels vindicated by the stupid commitment asked for, in many instances before Christmas.

Brolly is right on this one.

macdanger2

Quote from: ck on January 12, 2015, 09:28:52 PM
Some people go out of their way to be offended by Brolly. The reality is that he speaks the truth. Truth is that most self serving GAA board officials, managers and players are happy with staus quo. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

I heard Brolly on radio yesterday with Niall Moyna. Moyna came across as a pompous so and so. "I deal in facts" my arse. You deal in scholarships and paying Young lads to come to your college Mr.Moyna.

Brolly genuinely is concerned were the GAA is going. Moyna is genuinely concerned about DCU pulling in more big name players on scholarships.

I only heard a bit of that yesterday but was john Galvin not saying that Brolly was over-playing the amount of pressurethat's on players? I only heard part of it though...

orangeman

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 12, 2015, 09:35:30 PM
Payment of club managers is a cancer of our game, it is happening in every single county, probably across all divisions. £200 a session for top tier club in Derry and this was considered 'reasonable'. The manager feels like he has to train 3 nights a week and gets his money and feels vindicated by the stupid commitment asked for, in many instances before Christmas.

Brolly is right on this one.

£200 a night reasonable - they must have more money than sense.

ONeill

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 12, 2015, 11:04:37 PM
Quote from: ck on January 12, 2015, 09:28:52 PM

I only heard a bit of that yesterday but was john Galvin not saying that Brolly was over-playing the amount of pressurethat's on players? I only heard part of it though...
Exactly. I was talking to a Slaughtneil man last week and he was talking about the amount of training sessions their dual players were having - and he said they loved it (as in it's the best thing they could be at).

I don't hear many players complaining about training. Most of the complaining is from the retired.

One of Joe's points was last year's All-Ireland final in terms of the state of the game. Does he remember the semis? Can he recall the litany of dour 'big games' in the 80s and 90s. The difference was we never complained - we were happy to see a game involving the best players representing your county.

Now we have a multitude of games on TV, all with their own analysts critiquing every move (Joe Brolly in 2005 criticised a Dublin defender with the line 'He has no place being on a county team'). We now have analysts telling us that the standard of games aren't good enough for the viewing public.

Joe Brolly is a mouthpiece, knowing the more controversy he can create the more functions he'll be invited to.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theskull1

A mouthpeice for a lot of people who are 100% in agreement with him in terms of the arguments he's been making on this topic. Why don't you address the main thrust of his argument.

ONeill

Which is?

1) Burn out?
2) Outside managers?
3) Calendar?
4) State of the game?
5) Role of GPA?

- all points he has tried to cover in the last 7 days, as well as others.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Clinker

Quote from: theskull1 on January 12, 2015, 06:20:59 PM

Then there was the dual club from SW Antrim who agreed a 70 pounds a night fee with an ex Derry footballer, who then proceeded to train them 4 times a week (and get them relegated in the process).

That would mean 280 pounds a week minus petrol going into his own Club. (a big temptation Spy Film trap to trick another Club into thinking that the man had deserted his own people from Primary School but like in a film he'd just tricked the surrogate Club into financing their rivals who he in reality has never let down )

Does any Club complain about (after petrol) - 200 pounds a week coming into the Club from one of their own who ends up managing another Club or is it 'Just love of the game - as long as you don't meet us in the Final'

theskull1

Quote from: Clinker on January 13, 2015, 01:21:27 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on January 12, 2015, 06:20:59 PM

Then there was the dual club from SW Antrim who agreed a 70 pounds a night fee with an ex Derry footballer, who then proceeded to train them 4 times a week (and get them relegated in the process).

That would mean 280 pounds a week minus petrol going into his own Club. (a big temptation Spy Film trap to trick another Club into thinking that the man had deserted his own people from Primary School but like in a film he'd just tricked the surrogate Club into financing their rivals who he in reality has never let down )

Does any Club complain about (after petrol) - 200 pounds a week coming into the Club from one of their own who ends up managing another Club or is it 'Just love of the game - as long as you don't meet us in the Final'

What are you on about? Money going back into his club?  :o

Bingo

I see on twitter some have started to call Joe on what is he going to do about it or what is the next step. Is he going to continue along this line all year by making noise on the issue or is he actually going to look at ways to change the current system and lead the way? 

His "opt for life" campaign certainly took on a way of its own when he started with it. But this matter is different as it will meet opposition and require a lot of change.

Applesisapples

I always feel offended by these claims of Joe brolly and Eugene McGee. I have managed my club seniors on and off for about ten years and never received a red cent. There are many like me. And I would say that most inter county managers do not get paid. It's easy grab headlines and like Dr Moyna said - 'Joe deals in hearsay, I deal in facts'...
Like yourself I have never taken a penny for coaching and working at all levels in my club, but you are naive if you genuinely believe that Joe is making this up.

orangeman

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 13, 2015, 10:24:25 AM
Like yourself I have never taken a penny for coaching and working at all levels in my club, but you are naive if you genuinely believe that Joe is making this up.

+1

You can call Joe a mouth or whatever but he's not far away here. GAA have a few choices to make. They can pay lip service or can do something constructive.

When Joe went beserk about the Sean Cavanagh cynical play, the GAA weren't long in rushing through the black card.  ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on January 13, 2015, 11:07:11 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 13, 2015, 10:24:25 AM

+1

You can call Joe a mouth or whatever but he's not far away here. GAA have a few choices to make. They can pay lip service or can do something constructive.

When Joe went beserk about the Sean Cavanagh cynical play, the GAA weren't long in rushing through the black card.  ;)

Jaysus, for the millionth time, the Black Card was already passed into rule when Cavanagh's rugby tackle against Monaghan was committed.