If you were laying odds right now?

Started by cadhlancian, April 21, 2010, 09:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

I think that the psychological advantage that Kerry had over Cork in Croker will disappear this year, what with the amount of players unavailable to Kerry, in particular Dara O'Sé. He has been a massive thorn in their side for years and maybe now we'll see Nicolas Murphy come to the fore. Until the return of Mike Mac I couldn't see anyone living with Cork in Croker, early days I know...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 22, 2010, 05:09:59 PM
I think Cork have the parts, but can they get it together on when it counts? Can they reproduce the Tyrone performance twice or 3 times?

At some stage you have to think psychology plays a part in it, just as it undoubtedly now does with Kerry and Tyrone. There's no earthly rational reason why Kerry cannot beat Tyrone over the past 5 years, but it's undoubtedly in their heads. Similar story, I would suggest, with Cork and Kerry.

The thing is that if Cork won one, they could well be the new Tyrone, and hoover up 2 or 3 in 5 or 6 years.

I think they'll be the team to beat for the next ten years. Maybe not the only one but for the next ten years I think Cork will be in everyone's top 3. They've got more quality players coming through and if they can produce a top notch midfielder in the next 3-4 years they'll be a serious outfit for a long time.

Tone91

ross4life

Quote from: Tone91 on April 22, 2010, 05:46:59 PM
down are great bet at 33-1

Well Down came from no where to win it in 1991 & 1994 So would be great to see them do it again, Fine Young players on the Current Down team they must be reaching there peak now?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

bennydorano

Wouldn't put tuppence on Tyrone.  Their most important player - Conor Gormley looks done to me, they may think they have someone who could slot in at 6, but they'll not be in his league.  Certianly dont buy this shite about training one night a week being an excuse for their woefulness, how many times a week were the players at the gym outside of that?? 

Has to be Cork's year, with Kerry their nearest rivals.  Cant really see anyone else counting, although 2 other teams will be in the semis fancying their chances I suppose - with a bit of luck it could be anyone.

mackers

Quote from: bennydorano on April 22, 2010, 08:04:26 PM
Wouldn't put tuppence on Tyrone.  Their most important player - Conor Gormley looks done to me, they may think they have someone who could slot in at 6, but they'll not be in his league.  Certianly dont buy this shite about training one night a week being an excuse for their woefulness, how many times a week were the players at the gym outside of that?? 

Has to be Cork's year, with Kerry their nearest rivals.  Cant really see anyone else counting, although 2 other teams will be in the semis fancying their chances I suppose - with a bit of luck it could be anyone.
They have a striking resemblance of the Armagh team in 2006 with a lot of players past their best. Only so many times stalwarts can go to the well. I agree with Zulu Cork will be the team to beat for a long time, serious talent coming through.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

boojangles

It's still very hard to see the winner coming out of anything but Kerry,Tyrone and Cork. At the moment it looks like Cork but can they get over Kerry. Its probably only a matter of time but any team with Star and the Gooch would have to stand a chance. These 2 men on their day can destroy anything Cork can put in their way.

Write Tyrone off at your peril. The best manager in the business with a team who in most cases has done it all before- THREE times. Never have taken the League seriously so wouldn't read too much into that. I won't be backing them yet as they may take the scenic route but like 2008 when I got 16/1 on them in the Qualifiers, I will be looking out for them at bigger odds than whats available now.

I would price it at the following:

Kerry 2/1
Cork 5/2
Tyrone 7/2

After that I would rate Mayo as dark horses under a man who has seen it all before.He has taken his time but they could take stopping. I still couldn't back them at anything under 12/1.

Mayo 12/1

Dublin and Kildare may make a Semi Final but can't see them going any further.

Dublin 14/1
Kildare 25/1

The rest have no hope.

mackers

Quote from: boojangles on April 22, 2010, 08:20:19 PM
It's still very hard to see the winner coming out of anything but Kerry,Tyrone and Cork. At the moment it looks like Cork but can they get over Kerry. Its probably only a matter of time but any team with Star and the Gooch would have to stand a chance. These 2 men on their day can destroy anything Cork can put in their way.

Write Tyrone off at your peril. The best manager in the business with a team who in most cases has done it all before- THREE times. Never have taken the League seriously so wouldn't read too much into that. I won't be backing them yet as they may take the scenic route but like 2008 when I got 16/1 on them in the Qualifiers, I will be looking out for them at bigger odds than whats available now.

Kerry 2/1
Cork 5/2
Tyrone 7/2

After that I would rate Mayo as dark horses under a man who has seen it all before.He has taken his time but they could take stopping. I still couldn't back them at anything under 12/1.

Mayo 12/1

Dublin 14/1
Kildare 25/1

The rest have no hope.
Dunno about that, it wasn't so long ago that MH was hell bent on winning every trophy the Tyrone team entered including the McKenna Cup. In recent years he's pulled his horns in in that regard. 05 was the Tyrone team's finest hour but 08 was MH's finest. He used his squad to perfection and got Sam for his county, think Gormley, Ricey, Jordan, Dooher are all well past their best and even Cavanagh's hunger being questioned by MH.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

muppet

Quote from: mackers on April 22, 2010, 08:34:10 PM
Quote from: boojangles on April 22, 2010, 08:20:19 PM

Kerry 2/1
Cork 5/2
Tyrone 7/2

Mayo 12/1

Dublin 14/1
Kildare 25/1

The rest have no hope.
Dunno about that, it wasn't so long ago that MH was hell bent on winning every trophy the Tyrone team entered including the McKenna Cup. In recent years he's pulled his horns in in that regard. 05 was the Tyrone team's finest hour but 08 was MH's finest. He used his squad to perfection and got Sam for his county, think Gormley, Ricey, Jordan, Dooher are all well past their best and even Cavanagh's hunger being questioned by MH.

Agreed didn't they go for years unbeaten in the League at Healy Park? Even still only a few teams have won there (Mayo and the Dubs spring to mind but not much else).
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on April 22, 2010, 08:56:23 PM
Agreed didn't they go for years unbeaten in the League at Healy Park? Even still only a few teams have won there (Mayo and the Dubs spring to mind but not much else).

Yeah, but MH learned, and learned early, that that kind of approach is viable only with a relatively young and fresh team. Not a practical strategy for a team with any sort of mileage on the legs.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ardmhachaabu

FoSB, I admire your dedication.  Time comes though when you just have to admit that your team is dead on its legs so to speak.  Canavan scoring that point against Armagh in 2005 AISF killed off that Armagh team.  Cork running riot through Tyrone last year killed off this Tyrone team.  All good things come to an end and all that.  I strongly fancy Antrim to beat yis in Casement
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 23, 2010, 11:00:32 PM
FoSB, I admire your dedication.  Time comes though when you just have to admit that your team is dead on its legs so to speak.  Canavan scoring that point against Armagh in 2005 AISF killed off that Armagh team.  Cork running riot through Tyrone last year killed off this Tyrone team.  All good things come to an end and all that.  I strongly fancy Antrim to beat yis in Casement

Sure didn't Meath kill us off in Croke Park in 2007? Not sure why all of a sudden this a group of players with 3 All Irelands and multiple underage All Irelands are being compared to the Armagh team that won the All Ireland in 2002.

AFS

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 23, 2010, 11:05:43 PM

Sure didn't Meath kill us off in Croke Park in 2007? Not sure why all of a sudden this a group of players with 3 All Irelands and multiple underage All Irelands are being compared to the Armagh team that won the All Ireland in 2002.

Because of the similar age profiles. All Ireland medals aren't much good to you when the legs go.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 23, 2010, 11:05:43 PM

Yeah but do Dooher, Gormley etc have the legs anymore to compete against the best teams?? Can O'Neill/Mulligan stay fit for any length of time??

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on April 23, 2010, 11:07:15 PM
I hope you are bringing your kids up as Antrim supporters.
I have a soft spot for Antrim myself hs and will be in Casement cheering yis on as will my first son, second one may not have made an appearance at that point.  They will be playing for a local club and I daresay they will support their home county, no matter who I support
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something