what do you think? who would be favourites?

Started by cadhlancian, June 02, 2009, 04:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Was talking about this the other day with a friend. Should Tyrone and Kerry make it through to the All ireland semi final in august, who would start favs? or even the final should one of them get bounced out of their provincial series? I would have to say I think Tyrone ought to be favs, reason being, Defending champions as well as "owning Kerry" over the last 3 meetings! However , somehow I dont think the bookies would see it this way. Any thoughts?

longrunsthefox

Kerry will be raging favourites... Liam Hayes will tip them to win easily and the press will drool over the twin towers  ::) the poor man's Dooher-Paul Galvin and the legend Darragh... but us Tyrone folk would have it no other way  :P 

AZOffaly

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 02, 2009, 04:51:05 PM
Kerry will be raging favourites... Liam Hayes will tip them to win easily and the press will drool over the twin towers  ::) the poor man's Dooher-Paul Galvin and the legend Darragh... but us Tyrone folk would have it no other way  :P 

Liam Hayes hates this Kerry team.

I think Tyrone would have to be favourites were it to come to pass. Recent history would demand it, barring major injuries on the Tyrone side. Having said that, even though Tyrone would be favourites, Kerry have to catch them sometime, and on the law of averages, not many teams go 4-0 against any Kerry team.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 02, 2009, 05:01:11 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 02, 2009, 04:51:05 PM

Liam Hayes hates this Kerry team.

I think Tyrone would have to be favourites were it to come to pass. Recent history would demand it, barring major injuries on the Tyrone side. Having said that, even though Tyrone would be favourites, Kerry have to catch them sometime, and on the law of averages, not many teams go 4-0 against any Kerry team.

did Cork do it from 1987 to 1990?

AZOffaly

Possibly, but you're proving my point by digging out the exceptions :D

longrunsthefox

Not many teams went 3-0 against them either  ;)

Ball Hopper

Down and Tyrone are the only counties with winning championship records against Kerry.

So Kerry would have to be underdogs, you would think.

Would the pattern of betting cause any major moves in these games?  Is there a lot bet on the final, semi-final and provincial finals?  Anyone have any insight?

Sandy Hill

QuoteDown and Tyrone are the only counties with winning championship records against Kerry.

??? ???
"Stercus accidit"

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Sandy Hill on June 02, 2009, 06:47:04 PM
QuoteDown and Tyrone are the only counties with winning championship records against Kerry.

??? ???

Did I say something wrong here?

Our Nail Loney

These are the outright odds:

Kerry    6/4    
Tyrone    3/1

So Kerry would go in favourites no question, record or not.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 02, 2009, 06:36:37 PM
Down and Tyrone are the only counties with winning championship records against Kerry.

So Kerry would have to be underdogs, you would think.

Would the pattern of betting cause any major moves in these games?  Is there a lot bet on the final, semi-final and provincial finals?  Anyone have any insight?

There is plenty bet on all rounds of the Championship, and yes if there was a lot of money coming for one of the teams like any betting market the prices would change, if the money is coming in thick and fast for one selection then the odds would shorten... Wouldn't matter if this was GAA, soccer, horses whatever...

ziggysego

Kerry's hurtin' and Tyrone are past it now. Kerry are favourites ;)
Testing Accessibility

Ball Hopper

More than a few of the Kerry boys have a lot of miles up as well.

Last chance saloon for them...

ziggysego

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 02, 2009, 07:26:22 PM
More than a few of the Kerry boys have a lot of miles up as well.

Last chance saloon for them...

Only on the wind up. At present Tyrone should be the favourites between the two. Got the best of Kerry over the previous 3 Championship outtings. But Kerry will always get the favourites tag, as they are Kerry.
Testing Accessibility

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 02, 2009, 07:13:32 PM
These are the outright odds:

Kerry    6/4    
Tyrone    3/1

So Kerry would go in favourites no question, record or not.

Think those odds are more based on the fact that Tyrone have previously failed to make the later stages of the championship as defending All Ireland champions and have been prone to shock defeats (Mayo, Laois - also Meath in 2007). If they were to play Kerry in a semi final or final, I'd say the bookies would be going about evens for each side.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead