Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_mac

Quote from: Minder on November 11, 2019, 05:14:12 PM
Surely to get "Brexit done" the Tories will need a majority, and to do that gain current Labour seats. Brexit party will surely cut into Tory vote in some Labour seats. I don't think it's as straightforward as some think

They will take enough hard brexit labour voters to allow conservatives to win.

t_mac

Quote from: Ambrose on November 11, 2019, 12:36:44 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2019, 12:06:11 PM
Micky Brady, honestly I cant even get a picture of him in my head, and I am not saying that for effect.

Anti-republican, anti hunger striker, typical modern day Shinner. Lifelong member of the Workers Party and senior member of the 'Officials' in Newry.
Ran a successful welfare advice centre in Newry and managed to increase the SF vote at the last Westminster election.

Must avoid Armagh like the plague, or TV for that matter.

yellowcard

Quote from: Square Ball on November 11, 2019, 05:52:40 PM
As thought, no one gives a fook about NI

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/11/four-ten-mainland-britons-dont-care-about-northern

I'm just surprised that 51% do actually care, they mustn't realise that it is costing them £11 billion a year just to run the place more than what it costs them to stay in the EU p.a.

playwiththewind1st

They don't care, really, it's just that they've never heard of the place.

smelmoth

Quote from: yellowcard on November 11, 2019, 06:25:24 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on November 11, 2019, 05:52:40 PM
As thought, no one gives a fook about NI

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/11/four-ten-mainland-britons-dont-care-about-northern

I'm just surprised that 51% do actually care, they mustn't realise that it is costing them £11 billion a year just to run the place more than what it costs them to stay in the EU p.a.

The £11bn is not a huge issue. Never features in debate. At less than £170 per head it's unlikely to get traction even if a party picked it up

Rossfan

It would be about €2,500 per hear if we were asked to pick up that tab on re unification.
Or around €5,500 per worker......

How much tax does Westminster collect from the 6 Cos?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

playwiththewind1st

Very little, cos the Free Presbyterians collect the tithe off the PUL.

smelmoth

Quote from: Rossfan on November 11, 2019, 07:01:06 PM
It would be about €2,500 per hear if we were asked to pick up that tab on re unification.

Not sure but the £11bn is net after collection of tax. So yeah a family of say 5 it's €12.5k for public services that you wouldn't actually receive. I just can't see that flying with the RoI electorate

armaghniac

expenditure is around £24bn, so tax is around 13Bn.
However, some argue that some tax is not clearly allocated, e.g. big companies based in Britain with substantial operations in NI.
One consequence of the new arrangements is that the sales of Tesco etc in NI will be clearer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Windmill abu

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2019, 03:09:08 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on November 11, 2019, 01:21:20 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 11, 2019, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2019, 10:27:24 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 10, 2019, 07:07:30 PM
In SinnFeins party political broadcast will they be setting out the achievements of Mickey Brady, Órfhlaith Begley (she is the MP for West Tyrone), Francine Molloy (also an MP apparently), Paul Maskey (you might know his brother Alex), Michelle Gildernew, Chris Hazzard or Elisha McCallion?

When you read this it really hits home how useless SF are

Only good thing is that it should in theory be a very short broadcast.

;D
Micky Brady, honestly I cant even get a picture of him in my head, and I am not saying that for effect.
Begley, mmm naw I really don't rate her or know of anything she has done. Seems nice, but robot talk all the time.
Francie, I thought he had retired. Expect him to be down the local in the corner talking shite.
Maskey, he is bald I think.
Gildernew. I like her.
Hazzard-he is on twitter now talking about Bolivia, the new Maduro feck up fro SF. Anything to appear lefty
Elisha Dolittle-Clean useless. Great that she managed to brave the rain this week. What a hero. I could stick the knife into her in so many ways but I think most people in Derry know it all already, voter fraud the latest

If all the above are as poor as you think, then no one will vote for them.

If the majority in their constituencies prefer them to the other candidates then they will elect them.

That is how democracy works.

Surely you are taking the piss here

I am simply pointing out how democracy works.

The result of the election may not suit you as an individual, but unless you go against the will of the majority of the people in any constituency and try to impose someone else to represent them, then democracy must be observed.

Never underestimate the power of complaining

smelmoth

Quote from: Windmill abu on November 11, 2019, 07:57:52 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2019, 03:09:08 PM
Quote from: Windmill abu on November 11, 2019, 01:21:20 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on November 11, 2019, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 11, 2019, 10:27:24 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 10, 2019, 07:07:30 PM
In SinnFeins party political broadcast will they be setting out the achievements of Mickey Brady, Órfhlaith Begley (she is the MP for West Tyrone), Francine Molloy (also an MP apparently), Paul Maskey (you might know his brother Alex), Michelle Gildernew, Chris Hazzard or Elisha McCallion?

When you read this it really hits home how useless SF are

Only good thing is that it should in theory be a very short broadcast.

;D
Begley, mmm naw I really don't rate her or know of anything she has done. Seems nice, but robot talk all the time.
Francie, I thought he had retired. Expect him to be down the local in the corner talking shite.
Maskey, he is bald I think.
Gildernew. I like her.
Hazzard-he is on twitter now talking about Bolivia, the new Maduro feck up fro SF. Anything to appear lefty
Elisha Dolittle-Clean useless. Great that she managed to brave the rain this week. What a hero. I could stick the knife into her in so many ways but I think most people in Derry know it all already, voter fraud the latest

If all the above are as poor as you think, then no one will vote for them.

If the majority in their constituencies prefer them to the other candidates then they will elect them.

That is how democracy works.

Surely you are taking the piss here

I am simply pointing out how democracy works.

The result of the election may not suit you as an individual, but unless you go against the will of the majority of the people in any constituency and try to impose someone else to represent them, then democracy must be observed.

Not one person has argued that this is not how democracy works or that democracy should not be observed. The point was how useless the elected MPs are

seafoid

Quote from: Minder on November 11, 2019, 05:14:12 PM
Surely to get "Brexit done" the Tories will need a majority, and to do that gain current Labour seats. Brexit party will surely cut into Tory vote in some Labour seats. I don't think it's as straightforward as some think
Me neither
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on November 11, 2019, 07:26:34 PM

expenditure is around £24bn, so tax is around 13Bn.
However, some argue that some tax is not clearly allocated, e.g. big companies based in Britain with substantial operations in NI.
One consequence of the new arrangements is that the sales of Tesco etc in NI will be clearer.

Not sure that the Tesco data will be of much use. Tesco can report their UK profit however they see fit. Nothing in BoJos deal will change that. Likewise NI companies with GB operations