Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 8359580 times)

restorepride

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #57705 on: July 02, 2017, 11:47:40 PM »
Great atmosphere last night in Castlebar and Derry players won a lot of respect for themselves. Pity the same could not be said for the management's antics on the sideline. 

Real Talk

• View Profile
« Reply #57706 on: July 03, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
This was a very competitive Derry performance played with real passion each and everyone of them.  Its wasn't a case of Derry fitness fading in the final 20 mins of extra time it was for 2 reasons :

1   Mayo were not at all clinical in front of goal and generally didn't take move the ball quick enough and should have been well ahead in normal time

2   They have a very strong panel of players and almost all of their subs were more effective than their first choice 15 on this occasion

Ben McKinless had 2 bad kick-outs one where the defender conceded a free which was missed and the other where Mayo got the 'killer' goal but he, along with a resolute defence in which Keenan was outstanding,  had 5 fantastic saves.    As someone said earlier there just isn't enough big athletic men in the midle-eight to give the keeper more options on the kick-outs

In a crowd of over 11.5K i'd say 100 Derry supporters would be about right although more than a few older supporters (that includes me) generally don't wear any colours

Red Hand Man

• View Profile
« Reply #57707 on: July 03, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »
Great atmosphere last night in Castlebar and Derry players won a lot of respect for themselves. Pity the same could not be said for the management's antics on the sideline.

I think the players AND management deserve huge credit for Saturday evenings display.

To focus on something that happened during the heat of battle reads very much like an agenda led post.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57708 on: July 03, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »

I think the players AND management deserve huge credit for Saturday evenings display.

To focus on something that happened during the heat of battle reads very much like an agenda led post.

Reads like you have just created an agenda led post ... from another county. For 2 members of any county management team to interfere with the play and an opposition player, especially in the heat of battle, is foolish at best and does not show respect. Credit and respect are two different things.

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #57709 on: July 03, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
After witnessing Derry's tremendous whole hearted performance in Castlebar last Saturday I think it is only fair to congratulate all concerned especially the players.In all my years of following Derry I have never seen such a committed bunch of players as those who played last Saturday.Management too deserve much praise for their undoubted positive contribution.
For various reasons Derry have been missing at least 16 of their top players for the last year.What a tremendous boost for all Derry supporters,the 2018 team management and the existing panel if
Thomas Mallon
Oisin Duffy
Garth McKinless
Dermot McBride
Kevin Johnston
Liam McGoldrick
Sean Leo McGoldrick
Emmett Bradley
Padraig Cassidy
Niall Holly
Adie McLaughlin
Terence O'Brien
Christopher Bradley
Charlie Kielt
Cailean O'Boyle
Niall Toner
were all available next year.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #57710 on: July 03, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
After witnessing Derry's tremendous whole hearted performance in Castlebar last Saturday I think it is only fair to congratulate all concerned especially the players.In all my years of following Derry I have never seen such a committed bunch of players as those who played last Saturday.Management too deserve much praise for their undoubted positive contribution.
For various reasons Derry have been missing at least 16 of their top players for the last year.What a tremendous boost for all Derry supporters,the 2018 team management and the existing panel if
Thomas Mallon
Oisin Duffy
Garth McKinless
Dermot McBride
Kevin Johnston
Liam McGoldrick
Sean Leo McGoldrick
Emmett Bradley
Padraig Cassidy
Niall Holly
Adie McLaughlin

Terence O'Brien
Christopher Bradley
Charlie Kielt
Cailean O'Boyle
Niall Toner
Really missed these lads against Mayo. We lacked that taller, athletic midfield to challenge Mayo and give a longer option for kickouts.
Agree that all of the above added to what was on the panel at the weekend would be a good squad and that is the number of players that is needed now to be competitive at the top level. Players gave it everything at the weekend.

TheImpactCode

• View Profile
« Reply #57711 on: July 03, 2017, 11:54:41 PM »
Saw a bit of the Loup game at the weekend.
Coming good at the right time but they'll need
O'Brien back

Real Talk

• View Profile
« Reply #57712 on: July 04, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
Saw a bit of the Loup game at the weekend.
Coming good at the right time but they'll need
O'Brien back

Where is O'Brien ... is he injured ?

TheImpactCode

• View Profile
« Reply #57713 on: July 04, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »
playing a bit o ball on the sunny US of A

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57714 on: July 04, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »
Thomas Mallon
Oisin Duffy
Garth McKinless
Dermot McBride
Kevin Johnston
Liam McGoldrick
Sean Leo McGoldrick
Emmett Bradley
Padraig Cassidy
Niall Holly
Adie McLaughlin
Terence O'Brien
Christopher Bradley
Charlie Kielt
Cailean O'Boyle
Niall Toner

Not sure where you have been for the last year but to list Thomas Mallon, Padraig Cassidy and Charlie Kielt as 'missing for the last year' is both interesting and inaccurate. Still admire your optimism though.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #57715 on: July 04, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
Barton gone. He gave it his all, but for whatever reasons, it just didn't happen. That was some game to end his reign. Good luck to him in his next endeavour.

braveheart

• View Profile
« Reply #57716 on: July 04, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
Barton gone. He gave it his all, but for whatever reasons, it just didn't happen. That was some game to end his reign. Good luck to him in his next endeavour.
+1. Like many before him He tried his best but it didn't work. I remember a time when we were in a worse position and a certain Mr Coleman came in and changed the mentality in the county. It's time we need another big personality to do likewise

skeog

• View Profile
« Reply #57717 on: July 04, 2017, 10:08:55 PM »
Paddy Crozier be a good option last man who lifted a bit of silverware for Derry.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #57718 on: July 04, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
How much pat Gilroy cost us?h

what do I kno

• View Profile
« Reply #57719 on: July 04, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
Mickey Moran or Malachay O'Rourke