Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exiledjohn

While Ballymena as a town is a good central location for Antrim GAA, would the one road pitch access not be an issue if you were to have big attendance at fixtures? 
I know from my own experience the only way I have ever exited is to go back up the single lane road to the junction with the main road at near the rugby club and then head for the motorway. 
Would using B/Mena not mean that the majority of fans would all be exiting the one direction on the one single lane road?

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2017, 10:34:57 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on December 06, 2017, 10:12:31 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on December 06, 2017, 08:44:49 AM
Quote from: saffron89 on December 05, 2017, 06:06:47 PM
Yeah I agree with development of all our grounds
He was talking about developing it as county ground until
Casement which I  didn't agree with.  Ballymena perfect spot
And should have been as opposed to dunSILLY
BUT from what Ive seen not much research done there

Cant argue with the location of Ballymena and general support for development there, I just cant see how it could be developed into a ground which could hold a big game never mind a series of them?

Cant use the main pitch across the road for any big games because of the lack of changing facilities. Parking is adequate for big juvenile clubs games but outside of that additional space is going to be needed for cars. Where does that come from?

I think it presents more problems than solutions and again it creates the arguement of developing one club's grounds while not doing others.

This is not a slight on the work carried out by All Saints in recent years against a backdrop of resistance, it has been a stirling effort.

I think if you check back on my posts around the time of the Rasharkin Lamh Dhearg fight, i expressed those concerns.

When one of our better referees was attacked?

Yeah.

saffron89

Just felt Ballymena had a great location
Plenty of room, you pump in the money there that had been
Used for dunsilly.  All hypothetical now, but regarding access and
All the Shite surrounding dunsilly and space for parking
Anyway onwards and upwards

Take the point about Referee attack there, a
Disgrace and stronger sanctions required
Great to see eoin Elliot raise the profile
Of referees in Antrim 

NAG1

Quote from: saffron89 on December 10, 2017, 09:06:04 PM
Just felt Ballymena had a great location
Plenty of room, you pump in the money there that had been
Used for dunsilly.  All hypothetical now, but regarding access and
All the Shite surrounding dunsilly and space for parking
Anyway onwards and upwards

Take the point about Referee attack there, a
Disgrace and stronger sanctions required
Great to see eoin Elliot raise the profile
Of referees in Antrim

How?

saffron89

Camogie final, think he was refereeing in Madrid showpiece  also
Pity he couldn't get hurling games I'll take your point on that one
But then some say he comes across as being arrogant. 

NAG1

Quote from: saffron89 on December 11, 2017, 01:55:38 PM
Camogie final, think he was refereeing in Madrid showpiece  also
Pity he couldn't get hurling games I'll take your point on that one
But then some say he comes across as being arrogant.

Never mentioned his personality at all.

My point was more that he has gone down the camogie route which is his decision. Fair enough.

Not raising profile of hurling though.

saffron89

Didn't say profile of hurling....

Milltown Row2

Refereed a few senior games this year I thought?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sweeper 123

Still one of the best Hurling refs in Antrim & Ulster - thankless Job & i feel they should be better rewarded than what they currently get  (i.e. abuse)

saffron89

I thought he was still very active at club level and was on a panel
That organises Referees snd allocates games
You still refereeing MR2 ??!Cunning from Dunloy doing very well

Milltown Row2

Quote from: saffron89 on December 12, 2017, 09:01:13 AM

Still doing a bit, wouldnt be doing a lot of games to be fair, less than 30 last season, not able to committ to as much.. wasnt sure Owen was on the panel for the weekly games, possibly the championship games? would he be an assessor?

Colum doing great, did the line for him in the semi final this year, very professional and a very good style of refereeing, could go very far on the national stage, lot of playing experience coming through while ref'ing

other good ref's out there also that have done well and will hopefully if they are keen push on for a national refereeing step up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2017, 09:18:40 AM
Quote from: saffron89 on December 12, 2017, 09:01:13 AM

Still doing a bit, wouldnt be doing a lot of games to be fair, less than 30 last season, not able to committ to as much.. wasnt sure Owen was on the panel for the weekly games, possibly the championship games? would he be an assessor?

Colum doing great, did the line for him in the semi final this year, very professional and a very good style of refereeing, could go very far on the national stage, lot of playing experience coming through while ref'ing

other good ref's out there also that have done well and will hopefully if they are keen push on for a national refereeing step up

Owen Elliott did referee some senior hurling games this year. I remember one in particular were he said to a player who was claiming a free ....

"It's not my fault your 1st touch is so bad"

playwiththewind1st

Reasonable enough comment, probably.  When I was reffing a bit, we had to put up with 60 minutes of non stop yapping & dog's abuse, but you weren't allowed to open your mouth back. Mind you, a well placed one liner usually kept them quiet, for a while.

paddyjohn

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 13, 2017, 05:21:47 PM
Reasonable enough comment, probably.  When I was reffing a bit, we had to put up with 60 minutes of non stop yapping & dog's abuse, but you weren't allowed to open your mouth back. Mind you, a well placed one liner usually kept them quiet, for a while.

I did a bit of reffing myself, used to love the one liners! Never anything really cheeky or severe just enough to let them know i could bite back.

We are blessed with good refs in the county in both football and hurling. Cunning is likely top of the pile along with Mark O'Neill. I watched a few games that McCotter from Sarsfields did, very good also. 

Milltown Row2

Sure players know the rules inside out! They never make mistakes or foul but best of all the managers and keyboard warriors know it all ;D

I'd a player give off to me the whole game, his team was getting stuffed and he questioned every call by me! Possibly 20 points in it but it was my fault! I said to him if he'd concentrate on marking his man put in an honest shift and defend  without fouling they would have only lost by 15!

Finton Mark Colum All goodins, County have plenty of dedicated lads, no shortage it seems of people willing to put something back into the county, rather than bad mouthing all the time on discussion boards