Black and Tans Commemoration

Started by Rossfan, January 06, 2020, 06:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Skillfullbill - you can talk all the revisionist shite you like on here. The facts are the RIC were the strong arm of british rule in Ireland. The assisted evictions of our poorest during famine times, they assisted the British government in identifying and setting up IRA volunteers for assisination. They tortured Irish citizens. I have no issue with families remembering individuals who served in that force but to honour them as a whole is crazy, even for the blueshirts, a spectacular own goal, and I would say a slipping of the mask. Watch how they try to back peddle out of this over the coming week. I will be watching which of my local politicians attend and I have already written to each of them to ask if they support it, I will vote accordingly in the General Election.

What you say about a united Ireland is more crap. Since when did any unionist in the 6 counties request this memorial. By putting it out there FG has created a problem that never existed that the DUP will now jump all over. Complete stupidity by Leo and Flanagan, pair of half wits.

I wonder when Michael Martin will finish checking what way the wind is blowing before he grows a pair and tells us what he thinks?

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Itchy on January 07, 2020, 08:34:18 AM
Skillfullbill - you can talk all the revisionist shite you like on here. The facts are the RIC were the strong arm of british rule in Ireland. The assisted evictions of our poorest during famine times, they assisted the British government in identifying and setting up IRA volunteers for assisination. They tortured Irish citizens. I have no issue with families remembering individuals who served in that force but to honour them as a whole is crazy, even for the blueshirts, a spectacular own goal, and I would say a slipping of the mask. Watch how they try to back peddle out of this over the coming week. I will be watching which of my local politicians attend and I have already written to each of them to ask if they support it, I will vote accordingly in the General Election.

What you say about a united Ireland is more crap. Since when did any unionist in the 6 counties request this memorial. By putting it out there FG has created a problem that never existed that the DUP will now jump all over. Complete stupidity by Leo and Flanagan, pair of half wits.

I wonder when Michael Martin will finish checking what way the wind is blowing before he grows a pair and tells us what he thinks?

Who is the Revisionist ?

1916 proclamation signatures out of 7 men

One was an ex member of the British Army
One was the son of a Britsh Army Soldier
One was a son of an RIC officer.

You are entitled to hold the view that these men where traitors to Ireland when viewed through Post 1916 republicanism what your not entitled to do is make up Histort to suit your narrative.

Irish History did not start in Easter 1916.

Prior to that was Redmonds Home Rule movement which represented the vast majority of Irish thinking pre 1916 and before that was Parnells Home rule movement.

Itchy stop making it up.

Pearse Blue

Quote from: SkillfulBill on January 07, 2020, 09:25:20 AM

Who is the Revisionist ?

You are entitled to hold the view that these men where traitors to Ireland when viewed through Post 1916 republicanism what your not entitled to do is make up Histort to suit your narrative.

Prior to that was Redmonds Home Rule movement which represented the vast majority of Irish thinking pre 1916 and before that was Parnells Home rule movement.

Itchy stop making it up.
Still doesn't explain why you want to commemorate men who fought alongside British Arms, terrorising Ireland and Irish people for decades

Itchy

Quote from: SkillfulBill on January 07, 2020, 09:25:20 AM

Who is the Revisionist ?

Itchy stop making it up.

Individuals that saw the light and changed sides. There were plenty of them. Why are we commemorating the entire organisation. To celebrate the burning of cork is it. Cop on lad, you are not going to justify this horseshit.

Rossfan

The RIC actively and nastily fought against the establishment of an Independent Irish State as voted for in 1918.
It is simply wrong that the Independent Irish State should officially commemorate (I.e celebrate) such an organisation.
If the FG party want to....let them at it but leave the State out if it.

The 100th anniversary of the abolition of the RIC would be worth marking and a good reason for historians to compile a record of the organisation, warts and all.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2020, 10:02:12 AM
The RIC actively and nastily fought against the establishment of an Independent Irish State as voted for in 1918.
It is simply wrong that the Independent Irish State should officially commemorate (I.e celebrate) such an organisation.

The 100th anniversary of the abolition of the RIC would be worth marking and a good reason for historians to compile a record of the organisation, warts and all.

More Revisionist bullshit Cork was Burned by the Tans and the British Army not the RIC.. I have no issue with you holding your views on these men but stop inventing Historical facts to justify your views.

five points

If this true, why were they inducted in large numbers into the Garda Siochana upon its formation and as such enjoyed almost universal public support thenceforth?

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: SkillfulBill on January 07, 2020, 10:27:07 AM

More Revisionist bullshit Cork was Burned by the Tans and the British Army not the RIC.. I have no issue with you holding your views on these men but stop inventing Historical facts to justify your views.

The Black and Tans were RIC special constables, were they not?

Quote from: five points on January 07, 2020, 10:33:20 AM
If this true, why were they inducted in large numbers into the Garda Siochana upon its formation and as such enjoyed almost universal public support thenceforth?

The organisation was an evil one, which is not to say that all or its members were.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

There's no justification for this. Even if we go with the narrative that the Tans and Auxies were not "in" the RIC you cannot avoid the fact that the RIC supported them and provided information about people/places etc that were targeted by the Tans/Auxies for their brutal crimes. They were the eyes and ears of the British military establishment. And that's before you talk about evictions etc at the behest of British landowners. Absolute madness and I'd say there are a lot of FG people who are privately fuming over this.

I'm all for reconciliation and taking steps to make the transition to a United Ireland when it comes more smooth but this is just nonsense.

five points

Quote from: armaghniac on January 07, 2020, 11:14:31 AM

The Black and Tans were RIC special constables, were they not?
In name only
Quote from: armaghniac on January 07, 2020, 11:14:31 AM
Quote from: five points on January 07, 2020, 10:33:20 AM

The organisation was an evil one, which is not to say that all or its members were.
You didn't answer my question. If the RIC organisation was so evil, how come such large numbers of them ended up in the Gardai, with public support?

Rossfan

What are the "large numbers"?
Wasn't there a mutiny by the "civic guards" against some ex RICs being appointed?
Anyway I doubt if any of the active anti Independence RICs were let in.
And by the way the Tans and Auxiliaries were part of the RIC.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on January 07, 2020, 11:35:57 AM
What are the "large numbers"?
Wasn't there a mutiny by the "civic guards" against some ex RICs being appointed?
The entire DMP along with a small number of RIC.
QuoteAnd by the way the Tans and Auxiliaries were part of the RIC.
In name only.

Itchy

Quote from: SkillfulBill on January 07, 2020, 10:27:07 AM

The Black and Tans were indoctrinated into the RIC, in fact they were specifically not allowed to be identified as army. So yes the black and tans were part of the RIC effectively. How many of your ancestors were thrown out of their houses by the RIC supporting landlord evictons? I notice you have moved away from your nonsense on a united ireland being some how effected by the awful southerners not commemorating this shower.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on January 06, 2020, 10:50:26 PM
Did FG stop for a moment and think that if the RIC had been successful in 1919-21 there wouldn't have been an Irish Free State or subsequent Independent Irish State?
Leo would be First Minister of a Region of the "UK" and we'd now be leaving the EU.
PS Bruton was a disgrace in 1995
The 1918 election was a game changer. Dubs booed the rebels in 1916 but 2 years later the Irish Nationalist party collapsed. There was no going back except in the 6 counties where Unionists had a majority.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU