Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:55:43 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 12, 2017, 11:49:19 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:23:40 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:18:59 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:16:59 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Out of interest, could any Belfast posters tell me what Catholics/nationalists/republicans do on these days? I had heard that there is a rebel fest on the Falls with wall-to-wall rebel singers in the pubs but I don't know if that's true.

A good many go to work.  If you manage to get there and home again, it's the best place to be to ignore the shite.

Is everyone not off with it being a bank holiday though? I know not everyone, bar staff, nurses, police etc, gets a bank holiday but I presumed the majority would.

It seems to be getting less crowds every year. I am working ( self employed ) so no impact there
It only gets to you if you let it, they used to March up
Our Main Street in dunloy but annual road sit downs and protest have changed all that
A prodestant friend of mine asks my once did it bother me
I said
No if someone wants to wear a bowler hat and a orange sash and walk somewhere looking like that to commemorate a Dutchman crossing a river in the republic 400 years ago then knock yourself out

The confrontation only happens because they don't want to March in their own areas they want to go to as many nationalist areas as they can and rub your nose in it
See Ardoyne today

The parades commission has changed most of that but not all see things are slowly changing

Imm not a shrink but when you try and analyse their mental state it's just insecurities about their national identity
They know deep down this is Ireland and not the U.K. from a moral perspective so it's really a case of
"Thou  doth protest to much "
I bit like who are are you trying to kid here us or yourselves

Agree wholeheartedly, I was born in Kilkenny but grew up in Wales before returning Noreside in adult life. I can honestly say that 95% of Welsh people have zero interest and those who do think it's bizarre that there are Irish people who think they're British, particularly as almost no Welsh people really consider Britishness to be a significant part of their identity. I always say Britishness exists only in the ruling classes in the Home Counties and in unionist/loyalist areas of Belfast; the Scottish consider themselves Scottish, the Welsh Welsh and the vast majority of the English English.

That's the whole crux of it right there
Imm in my 50s now and grew up with it, I was never active but have to acknowledge the ones who where brought us to the good Friday agreement and some form of equality
when my teenage kids where younger they didn't experience the troubles but when they ask me about all the British flags and why are they flying in Ireland
I just tell them that the land was taken from us and given to english and Scottish  Settlers by the British. I tell them that deep down they know this was wrong and have insecurities about it
They know deep down they are perceived as Irish by the rest of the world so they must try harder to project British sovereignty
But us as northern Irish nationalist don't have to fly flags and March and try and fool ourselves
We are Irish, we live in a land that was here long before those flags where here and it will be here long after the flags have gone
And when they are gone the prodestant people will still here and we have to live with them in equality
We can not subject them to what they subjected us to or we are just hypocrites
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Kilkevan

Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:53:11 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:51:17 AM
Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:43:05 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:38:58 AM
Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:34:00 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:30:58 AM
Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:24:59 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:10:21 AM
Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:01:27 AM
And you all just sit back and do nothing about it...

What would you suggest big lad?
I don't live there so I don't care. You boys do nothing but complain about it. Got off the internet and go do something about it.

Ah right, fcuk all to add then.  Useful boy you.

I suppose you're 'alright' where you are?  ;)
I'm fine thank you.
You keep complaining about it on the internet though. That will get you places alright.

What though?  We're all ears.  You're full of the bluster but you're light on the substance.

You keep complaining about people complaining on the internet?  Maybe you should get out and do something about that?
Keep deflecting from the fact that you are doing nothing about it but complain on the internet. You can call me names all you want but it's you who wants it to change but still wont do anything.
Start small. Go and start a protest. I don't care.

If you don't care, why comment?
Ridiculous comment. If I want to comment I'll comment. Caring or not makes no difference.  Now can we put that stupid retort to bed once and for all.

If you want to comment, you are absolutely right to do so... the irony is going to the effort of commenting on something "you don't care about".

BennyCake

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:57:35 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2017, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: LCohen on July 12, 2017, 11:35:45 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI out of curiosity. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Out of interest, could any Belfast posters tell me what Catholics/nationalists/republicans do on these days? I had heard that there is a rebel fest on the Falls with wall-to-wall rebel singers in the pubs but I don't know if that's true.

Catholics do the same as most of the the rest of us.

Get out of the place is less of an option when it falls on a Wednesday. I cut the lawn. About to start on the hedges and then the weeds. I like to think of it as green fest

Lol

Look at this pair...

The darker one said "we plan it every year, plan what we're going to wear..."

The Minnie Mouse look must be in in 2017!

lmfao!!!

Christ almighty. Then again, I think the same when I see people on St Patrick's day wearing stupid lephrachaun hats.

Yeah but I'm going to go with the notion that the vast majority of those wearing leprechaun hats on St. Patrick's Day are tourists... and almost none "plan it".

Really? I've seen hundreds of locals wearing them. So they're no difference to those two.

Kilkevan

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 12, 2017, 12:19:09 PM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

A good many go to work.  If you manage to get there and home again, it's the best place to be to ignore the shite.

Is everyone not off with it being a bank holiday though? I know not everyone, bar staff, nurses, police etc, gets a bank holiday but I presumed the majority would.

It seems to be getting less crowds every year. I am working ( self employed ) so no impact there
Our Main Street in dunloy but annual road sit downs and protest have changed all that
I said
No if someone wants to wear a bowler hat and a orange sash and walk somewhere looking like that to commemorate a Dutchman crossing a river in the republic 400 years ago then knock yourself out

The confrontation only happens because they don't want to March in their own areas they want to go to as many nationalist areas as they can and rub your nose in it
See Ardoyne today

The parades commission has changed most of that but not all see things are slowly changing

Imm not a shrink but when you try and analyse their mental state it's just insecurities about their national identity
They know deep down this is Ireland and not the U.K. from a moral perspective so it's really a case of

Agree wholeheartedly, I was born in Kilkenny but grew up in Wales before returning Noreside in adult life. I can honestly say that 95% of Welsh people have zero interest and those who do think it's bizarre that there are Irish people who think they're British, particularly as almost no Welsh people really consider Britishness to be a significant part of their identity. I always say Britishness exists only in the ruling classes in the Home Counties and in unionist/loyalist areas of Belfast; the Scottish consider themselves Scottish, the Welsh Welsh and the vast majority of the English English.

That's the whole crux of it right there
Imm in my 50s now and grew up with it, I was never active but have to acknowledge the ones who where brought us to the good Friday agreement and some form of equality
when my teenage kids where younger they didn't experience the troubles but when they ask me about all the British flags and why are they flying in Ireland
I just tell them that the land was taken from us and given to english and Scottish  Settlers by the British. I tell them that deep down they know this was wrong and have insecurities about it
They know deep down they are perceived as Irish by the rest of the world so they must try harder to project British sovereignty
But us as northern Irish nationalist don't have to fly flags and March and try and fool ourselves
We are Irish, we live in a land that was here long before those flags where here and it will be here long after the flags have gone
And when they are gone the prodestant people will still here and we have to live with them in equality
We can not subject them to what they subjected us to or we are just hypocrites

I agree, I think there's a gross insecurity complex among the unionists/loyalists. First, they're from Ireland and they can't get away from that niggling feeling that even if they want to call it Northern Ireland, it's still got that word "Ireland" in it. To refer to themselves as coming from Ulster is factually incorrect, at least in as much as they define it as Ulster includes Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan. I think they are also familiar with the idea that people in the (real) UK have no interest whatsoever in them, in reality look at them as "paddies" and would drop them like a hot potato given half a chance. And they know that the time when the UK will drop them is coming sooner or later.

I have nothing against flags and parades. I thoroughly enjoy nationalist/republican ones, but I have noticed a common theme that the nationalist/republican ones march through areas like the Falls where friction will either be non-existent or to an absolute minimum. I know there are the odd parades through town centres but they tend either to be in places like Crossmaglen, see the previous comment about the Falls, or unofficial ones held in places like Lurgan. The problem I have with the Orange marches is that they are like dogs wetting the floor to mark their territory. They disrupt the lives of others who have nothing to do with that "culture" and are more about wiping other people's noses in it than celebrating anything.

Kilkevan

Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2017, 12:26:41 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:57:35 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2017, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: LCohen on July 12, 2017, 11:35:45 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI out of curiosity. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Catholics do the same as most of the the rest of us.

Get out of the place is less of an option when it falls on a Wednesday. I cut the lawn. About to start on the hedges and then the weeds. I like to think of it as green fest

Lol

Look at this pair...

The darker one said "we plan it every year, plan what we're going to wear..."

The Minnie Mouse look must be in in 2017!

lmfao!!!

Christ almighty. Then again, I think the same when I see people on St Patrick's day wearing stupid lephrachaun hats.

Yeah but I'm going to go with the notion that the vast majority of those wearing leprechaun hats on St. Patrick's Day are tourists... and almost none "plan it".

Really? I've seen hundreds of locals wearing them. So they're no difference to those two.

Maybe so, maybe no. Still ridiculous whatever.

dclane

Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 12:08:34 PM

I don't live there so I don't care. You boys do nothing but complain about it. Got off the internet and go do something about it.

I'm fine thank you.
You keep complaining about it on the internet though. That will get you places alright.

What though?  We're all ears.  You're full of the bluster but you're light on the substance.

You keep complaining about people complaining on the internet?  Maybe you should get out and do something about that?
Keep deflecting from the fact that you are doing nothing about it but complain on the internet. You can call me names all you want but it's you who wants it to change but still wont do anything.

Again nothing then.  Good man.

Why mention it then?  Also, what names did I call you?
You are still deflecting from the fact that you are doing nothing about it. Having a go at me is to do nothing.
Have we made that clear? You can keep repeating that I am mentioning stuff and I'm not giving answers and asking why am I posting if I don't  care... all you are doing is deflecting from the fact you are doing nothing about this issue that so obviously and rightly so annoys you.
Look at North Antrim Gael and his crew. they did something.
Im sure your answer to me once again will be something about me  ::)

Applesisapples

Parades of any variety have no interest for me, but each to their own. Watched a bit there, Christ the commentators were struggling to make it sound interesting, dancing around the pseudo military uniforms, "colourful"...em...

dclane

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 12:19:33 PM

I'm fine thank you.

Ridiculous comment. If I want to comment I'll comment. Caring or not makes no difference.  Now can we put that stupid retort to bed once and for all.

If you want to comment, you are absolutely right to do so... the irony is going to the effort of commenting on something "you don't care about".
Yes you have established that well done. Can you move on  now please? My original comment has just been met with posts asking me why am I posting if I don't care. We have established that I don't  have to care for me to comment.
You pointed out the irony.  Well done to you.
I take it that particular  chapter is now closed?
My original comment stands.
I believe most of you lot dont want the parades and bonfires to end. If they did you would no longer be the victims..sure who would you complain about then?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 12, 2017, 12:43:53 PM
Parades of any variety have no interest for me, but each to their own. Watched a bit there, Christ the commentators were struggling to make it sound interesting, dancing around the pseudo military uniforms, "colourful"...em...
should add not much in the way of music.

Kilkevan

Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 12:44:06 PM

I'm fine thank you.

Yes you have established that well done. Can you move on  now please? My original comment has just been met with posts asking me why am I posting if I don't care. We have established that I don't  have to care for me to comment.
I believe most of you lot dont want the parades and bonfires to end. If they did you would no longer be the victims..sure who would you complain about then?

Just has no sense that's all, but then nothing you posted in this thread had any sense anyway so we'll close the door on that... bye bye now.

Kilkevan

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 12, 2017, 12:43:53 PM

Ah sure, we all like different things. I like the noise of them.

tiempo

I said

See Ardoyne today

Their ignorance of their own denomination is astounding. Claiming to be British when UK-ish is the best they can hope for and even that is a contrived pile of pish who's days are numbered.

dclane

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 12:46:36 PM

I'm fine thank you.

Just has no sense that's all, but then nothing you posted in this thread had any sense anyway so we'll close the door on that... bye bye now.
See ya.

imtommygunn

I'm fine thank you.

Gees you should be a shrink mate.

We all love being trapped in our houses by a bigoted organisation claiming a load of funds of our government when they could be used for useful things. To top it all of we love having to pussy foot round the topic in our workplaces as there will clearly be morons into it.

Highlight of the year.

6th sam

A lot of good points , the Dunloy perspective is interesting.
Dclane is being ridiculed for making a very reasonable point. Part of the reason the ridiculous behaviour around the twelfth persists is because nationalists haven't done a very good job of challenging it.
The viewpoint of sit back and ignore it, is the main reason why it persists. If the blacks in Alabama in the 60s didn't challenge the status quo , there'd still be segregation.
I think the points re insecurities are well made, and we need to respect and try to address these unionist insecurities .
However , we must challenge the hatred that has been portrayed as normal , and a positive cultural experience.
We must also challenge the state financial support and expenditure on this unacceptable behaviour.
There are several non-threatening traditions around the music and the community element , which those brought up in that tradition would find hard to give up. But the negative , hatefilled, domination element must be challenged by politicians, isolating the defence of this nonsense by the main unuionist parties and the Tories.