GAA journalism

Started by qwerty123, July 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on August 10, 2012, 10:04:27 PM
Quote from: mlcollins on August 10, 2012, 07:21:27 PM
So because his pieces were not alined or conformed to a tangable format and because there was an element of tangengiality or ostentaciousness your questioning his writings,forgive me but i thought these were exactly the virtues in the literary world that set aside the geniuses from the everyday hack.

The same could be said for this, though: http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php (It's the article that begins half way down that page, and it'll only be available at that link until Sunday as they appear not to archive those types of articles)

Incidentally, he may have created the most verbose and pompous eulogy this side of Mark Antony.

I think the very best journalism comes from people who sense of self is secondary to the story or topic (something I'm not saying Houlian suffered from, an example of the above would be Tom Humpheries or Toy Curtis) and has a keen thoroughfare. I really don't think much of Houlian's writing had the latter. Excellent journalism doesn't really need to be eccentric, which is what Houlian's journalism clearly was.

I'll have to look more more of his older articles to comment on what it was in the 70's or 80's but that's certainly what the later writing suffered from.

Who'd be your top three Syferus?

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 11, 2012, 12:21:51 AM
So because his pieces were not alined or conformed to a tangable format and because there was an element of tangengiality or ostentaciousness your questioning his writings,forgive me but i thought these were exactly the virtues in the literary world that set aside the geniuses from the everyday hack.

The same could be said for this, though: http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php (It's the article that begins half way down that page, and it'll only be available at that link until Sunday as they appear not to archive those types of articles)

Incidentally, he may have created the most verbose and pompous eulogy this side of Mark Antony.

I think the very best journalism comes from people who sense of self is secondary to the story or topic (something I'm not saying Houlian suffered from, an example of the above would be Tom Humpheries or Toy Curtis) and has a keen thoroughfare. I really don't think much of Houlian's writing had the latter. Excellent journalism doesn't really need to be eccentric, which is what Houlian's journalism clearly was.

I'll have to look more more of his older articles to comment on what it was in the 70's or 80's but that's certainly what the later writing suffered from.

Hmm, if we're talking about true journalists (I think someone like Dara O'Se has a great football brain and is able to communicate it well in print, though who knows if it's ghost-written or not) it'd be Keith Duggan, Christy O'Connor and Liam Horan (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/dermot-earley-as-close-to-perfection-as-a-man-can-be-123213.html would be a great example of some of his best, and even if it's on a totally biased topic for me I thought it was a wonderfully evocative eulogy).

All three share an ability to only lightly thread the fourth wall, their writing is unobtrusive but effective and I've always appreciated that tightrope walk most of all in journalism. It's seems easy for journalists to reach a point where then end up being self-parodies, swallowed by the success of their own careers and their egos being sated only by becoming more and more verbose and obtuse. I think those three have avoided that, so far.

Hardy

Sorry, but what is a "keen thoroughfare"?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on August 11, 2012, 01:14:57 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 11, 2012, 12:21:51 AM

Hmm, if we're talking about true journalists (I think someone like Dara O'Se has a great football brain and is able to communicate it well in print, though who knows if it's ghost-written or not) it'd be Keith Duggan, Christy O'Connor and Liam Horan (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/dermot-earley-as-close-to-perfection-as-a-man-can-be-123213.html would be a great example of some of his best, and even if it's on a totally biased topic for me I thought it was a wonderfully evocative eulogy).

All three share an ability to only lightly thread the fourth wall, their writing is unobtrusive but effective and I've always appreciated that tightrope walk most of all in journalism. It's seems easy for journalists to reach a point where then end up being self-parodies, swallowed by the success of their own careers and their egos being sated only by becoming more and more verbose and obtuse. I think those three have avoided that, so far.

Fair enough.

RedandGreenSniper

Wonderful tribute piece that by Liam Horan. Pity he didn't wait with the Independent, we'd have been spared Martin Breheny.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

sheamy

Plain of the Herbs

You can chalk it down.
We'd have been spared Keys as well, whose ambition in life seems to be just like Martin.
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 11, 2012, 01:07:57 PM
Wonderful tribute piece that by Liam Horan. Pity he didn't wait with the Independent, we'd have been spared Martin Breheny.

cogito

Stevie McDonnell and Donal Og Cusack have been knocking out excellent columns for GAA.ie all summer

http://gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/1508120908-point-taken-steven-mcdonnell-on-football/

DuffleKing

Cusack's articles have been refreshing and thoughtful. he's obviously a very bright guy that sees a lot of things with a slightly tangential andinteresting tview.

5 Sams

People dont like the Sindo..even more people dont like Eamon Sweeney.. I have to say he nailed it with his article about Mickey Harte today. Fair play.
The Aristocrat Years

Plain of the Herbs

Everyone knows that Damian Lawlor beats two short planks when it comes to relative density, but he takes the biscuit today.  "One thing that can never be taken away from him (Teddy McCarthy), however, is his status as one of the GAA's finest dual players - he remains the only man to win senior All-Ireland hurling and football titles, achieved when Cork did the double in 1990."

Er, Jack Lynch, Jimmy Barry Murphy, Ray Cummins, Liam Currams.

From the Bunker

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 13, 2013, 09:22:47 PM
People dont like the Sindo..even more people dont like Eamon Sweeney.. I have to say he nailed it with his article about Mickey Harte today. Fair play.

+1

theticklemister

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 13, 2013, 09:50:14 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on January 13, 2013, 09:22:47 PM

+1

What was said

Hardy

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on January 13, 2013, 09:32:12 PM
Everyone knows that Damian Lawlor beats two short planks when it comes to relative density, but he takes the biscuit today.  "One thing that can never be taken away from him (Teddy McCarthy), however, is his status as one of the GAA's finest dual players - he remains the only man to win senior All-Ireland hurling and football titles, achieved when Cork did the double in 1990."

Er, Jack Lynch, Jimmy Barry Murphy, Ray Cummins, Liam Currams.

What yer man missed was that Teddy was the only one to win his hurling and football medals in the same year.