The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: bennydorano on January 01, 2019, 02:27:33 PM
Had forgotten about this - Apart from terrestrial coverage, From today Irish Racing only available on pay tv - Racing UK in the UK. Whats the story in ROI? Same?

Sad day, dubious benefits of immediate cash injection V longer term poorer exposure for the product.
Racing UK rebranded as Racing TV.

Before the Attheraces deal, there was no coverage of Irish racing, bar the very odd big meeting covered on terrestrial, which I presume will continue.

Most of the pubs down south that are racing pubs already have Racing TV and for online punters they can get races online if they placed a bet, so overall this may have very little impact

Donnellys Hollow

RTE have agreed to increase their racing coverage recently. They showed the Hattons Grace at Fairyhouse last month for the first time in years and are showing the Thyestes in a few weeks.

The only positive outcome of the RUK deal for the ordinary viewer was HD output although that now is a moot point because Sky Sports are broadcasting the old ATR in HD. On days when there are multiple meetings Irish racing will not be prioritised like it was on ATR. ATR had none of the premier English tracks so it was only natural that they gave Irish racing their full attention. RUK do not have that luxury with the number of tracks they possess and our meetings will be shunted onto their online platform on big days - the last at Tramore on Tuesday was not broadcast live.

The Morgiana at Punchestown will clash with the Open Meeting at Cheltenham. Stephen's Day at Leopardstown and Limerick with Kempton. The Irish Champion Hurdle with the Scilly Isles at Sandown. The Ballysax at Leopardstown frequently clashes with the Aintree National. The Punchestown Festival will often clash with the Whitbred at Sandown and some years with the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket. Galway will clash with Goodwood etc. Irish punters will lose out on those days.

For the wider industry, this deal is not as significant as it seems at the moment. The money keeping our rural tracks afloat is from the pictures being supplied to betting shops across the UK and at home. However a large percentage of shops are probably facing an uncertain future with the restrictions on FOBTs in the UK and here with the doubling of betting tax from this month. If that income stream dries up, there will be plenty of tracks in trouble.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

maddog

Settle an argument for me please

I do a £20 bet online for a mate and it loses. No money changes hands. He does a £20 bet for me and it wins at 9/4 and no money changes hands. How much does he owe me. This caused some debate in the pub yesterday ;D

bennydorano

illdecide

Quote from: maddog on January 21, 2019, 08:23:18 AM

I do a £20 bet online for a mate and it loses. No money changes hands. He does a £20 bet for me and it wins at 9/4 and no money changes hands. How much does he owe me. This caused some debate in the pub yesterday ;D

He owes you £45...The bet pays £65 less the £20 you didn't give him
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Redhand Santa

Quote from: illdecide on January 21, 2019, 09:05:59 AM
Quote from: maddog on January 21, 2019, 08:23:18 AM

He owes you £45...The bet pays £65 less the £20 you didn't give him

What about the £20 the mate never gave? Surely it's the £65.

The two £20 bets cancel each other out. The bet paid back £65 (including the stake) so that's what should be paid across. Other wise the mate got a free £20 bet.

haranguerer

It is £65

The £20 which ended up being staked is yours maddog, as he owed you it, so the full proceeds are yours.

illdecide

Lets break it down...you owe your mate £20 for the bet you done with him and lost...Correct?
Your mate owes you £65 for the £20 bet you done with him which won...Correct?

So why don't both of you pay each other up and see how you fare out and I believe you will end up with £45 after everything is paid out...No/Yes?

Rich Ricci

£65. You done a £20 bet for him which paid 0 and he done a 20 bet for you which pays 65. Simple.

ziggy90

Let it go Maddog. Those £20's worth of pints went down lovely.  :D
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

oakleaflad

Quote from: illdecide on January 21, 2019, 12:38:02 PM
Lets break it down...you owe your mate £20 for the bet you done with him and lost...Correct?

So why don't both of you pay each other up and see how you fare out and I believe you will end up with £45 after everything is paid out...No/Yes?
No, he will end up with 45 profit in total. The friend still needs to give him 65.

Hound

Quote from: illdecide on January 21, 2019, 12:38:02 PM

Completely arseways!

Bet 1: Mate owes maddog £20
Best 2: Mate owes maddog £45
Total: Mate owes maddog £65

illdecide

Yip, having thought it thru better you're owed £65...dunno what i was thinking :-[

maddog

Quote from: ziggy90 on January 21, 2019, 01:22:18 PM

yeah somehow you always come up smelling of roses. ;D

maddog

Quote from: maddog on January 21, 2019, 01:58:22 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on January 21, 2019, 01:22:18 PM

yeah somehow you always come up smelling of roses. ;D

Loughlynn caught me there