Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: DuffGael on April 14, 2020, 01:14:17 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 09, 2020, 09:14:11 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 09, 2020, 10:26:50 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 08, 2020, 05:58:07 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 08, 2020, 05:50:40 PM
Surely if you count Gregory McCartan as a Ballymartin man (his original club), you have to count Blaney as a Ballycran man (his original club).

Big Greg was playing for Ballymartin when Down won the All Irelands.

Wee Greg was playing for Carryduff when Down won the All Irelands.

Hardly unreasonable to have Ballymartin & Carryduff.

Personally, I'd consider Blaney a Ballycran man. If anything I shouldn't have included Greg McCartan as a Castlewellan club man.

Greg did play football for Ballycran in his latter years when they tried to play both for a while.
Some course Christians playing along with a lad with two AI medals in his arse pocket.

Greg played for BallycrN in 91

You could be right but I always thought Carryduff had three lads on the 91 team, Neil Collins, John Kelly and Greg.

DuffGael

Greg was Ballycran,  Mark McCartan Was The 3rd player on the squad.

Mourne Rover

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0410/1129909-all-stars-of-the-sunday-game-era-football-half-backs/

RTE Sport today produced a shortlist of the best football half backs of the Sunday Game era over the last 40 years.  It included over 70 names, including several who never actually played in an All Ireland final. DJ made the cut but big Paddy, who captained the first Ulster team to win the Sam Maguire for almost a quarter of a century, was omitted. Barry Breen, who was outstanding at centre half in 1994 when he won an All Star, also missed out, as did Kevin McKernan, who was brilliant throughout our 2010 campaign. It's clearly never been easy for northern players to impress southern judges.

DuffGael

Paddy's problem was he was at his best in the 80's while Down were not great and probably played more at midfield than half back. He was outstanding though.
Breen has never been truly appreciated and McKernan again has played everywhere so difficult for him
My best 3 would be McConnell, Downey and either McCaffery or Stephen O'Brien

Square Ball

Some fantastic work being done by a lot of clubs to assist the vulnerable in their communities. Great to see
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SHEEDY

Derry v Down 1994 ulster championship match is on tg4 tomorrow afternoon. One of the best matches of all time.
nil satis nisi optimum

Targetman

Ah brilliant, that was some days craic!!

marty34

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 25, 2020, 03:21:52 PM
Derry v Down 1994 ulster championship match is on tg4 tomorrow afternoon. One of the best matches of all time.

I always thought it was a classic but anybody think it's a bit over-rated with the passage of time?

Nanderson

Quote from: marty34 on April 26, 2020, 04:30:54 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on April 25, 2020, 03:21:52 PM

I always thought it was a classic but anybody think it's a bit over-rated with the passage of time?
call me crazy but as iconic the 90's team are to us I think the current Down team would beat them even with them being average compare to other teams atm. The game has just evolved so much in terms of athleticism and skill. Back then it seemed that the tactic was catch it and kick it as far up the field and hope it went to a teammate 

Smurfy123

Nanderson you are crazy.
The game has evolved massively but so to would that team
Crazy statement

Nanderson

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 26, 2020, 04:59:30 PM
Nanderson you are crazy.
The game has evolved massively but so to would that team
Crazy statement
I never said that the 90's team would have evolved. Its if the two teams stayed in the era that they are currently in. I would fancy Darren O'Hagan to do a job on Linden and nullify their main threat up front.

Smurfy123

Is that a piss take?
Darren a super defender but come on
Who would do a number on
Greg?
James?
Ross?
McCabe?

O and who would you put in midfield against Gregory Eamon Burns Breen Deegan

Higgins Deegan Magill etc would not cope with Downs current forwards 🙄🙄

thewobbler

I don't know much, but here's what I do know.

- Down were best team in Ireland in 1994. It's actually insulting to suggest a D3 team from 2020 would beat them because they've compensated for not being naturally big and athletic, by eating weights.

- I watched all of the 1994 team and subs in club football, and was (un)lucky enough to play against good few of them. The likes of Ciaran McCabe and Gerard Deegan were on a different level to even D1 club forwards. There are lads who've played for Down the last 5 years who you wouldn't notice in a club game if you watched them for a week.

Smurfy123

And that is why wobbler is the best posted on this board
Well said
I rest my case
Very well put

wobbller

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 26, 2020, 07:28:09 PM
And that is why wobbler is the best posted on this board
Well said
I rest my case
Very well put
Thank-you