Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: BennyCake on October 03, 2020, 11:13:13 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 03, 2020, 11:00:22 AM
Connolly was one of those elite players from other counties you loved seeing on the pitch, like Cooper, Stevie O'Neill, Joyce. Players who could turn a game with an injection of magic. Superb footballer

Connolly was so overrated. Only thing of note I seen him do was that goal in the club final. I never seen him turn a game the way those others did, especially the first two.

With some of your fantastical posts on players from different sports down the years Bennycake, I'll stick with my own opinion on Connolly  ;D

Manning18

Connolly was one of those elite players from other counties you loved seeing on the pitch, like Cooper, Stevie O'Neill, Joyce. Players who could turn a game with an injection of magic. Superb footballer

Connolly was so overrated. Only thing of note I seen him do was that goal in the club final. I never seen him turn a game the way those others did, especially the first two.

Funny how you specify the first two, considering the latter of that trio had by far the biggest effect on the biggest day of all, 9 points in the second half of an All Ireland final to swing it. Mad how that performance (the highest scoring final performance in modern era) gets forgotten.

Connolly did have a game of that ilk once, the 2011 Quarter final against Tyrone.

imtommygunn

That club final was up there with the best performances I have ever seen in Croke park. In fact it was probably the best I have seen.

Brogan a different beast. He had everything and wasn't controversial so people talk less about him. He was a machine in his time and had everything - talent, work rate, consistency and discipline. Connolly to be fair probably had the first two but lacked the discipline and probably wasn't as consistent either. He also could be wound up so could have been perceived a weak link when you'd the likes of the mcgees going at him. Was it him who Eamon was phoning? Mad story.

[edit] https://www.donegaldaily.com/2016/08/27/gaa-star-mcgee-admits-he-regularly-called-dubs-star-to-abuse-him-down-phoneline/

BennyCake

Quote from: Manning18 on October 03, 2020, 11:30:02 AM

Funny how you specify the first two, considering the latter of that trio had by far the biggest effect on the biggest day of all, 9 points in the second half of an All Ireland final to swing it. Mad how that performance (the highest scoring final performance in modern era) gets forgotten.

Connolly did have a game of that ilk once, the 2011 Quarter final against Tyrone.

I haven't forgot Joyce's AI final tally. A great player he was, but I felt the other two had the ability to thread passes, or take outrageous scores that lifted their team or turn a game.

Manning18

Quote from: BennyCake on October 03, 2020, 01:14:03 PM

I haven't forgot Joyce's AI final tally. A great player he was, but I felt the other two had the ability to thread passes, or take outrageous scores that lifted their team or turn a game.

Jaysus, Joyce played the centre forward 'Quarterback' role long before Cooper did the same and O'Neill was never known as a passer or played outside. They're all greats but O'Neill is a firm third to the other two

JoG2

Quote from: BennyCake on October 03, 2020, 01:14:03 PM

Pádriac Joyce!

An Fhairche Abu

It's gas to see some of the different perceptions that people have of players, it's insane to me that Joyce could be considered as anything else bar an unbelievable passer and distributor of the ball, he'd be country miles ahead of O'Neill on that aspect of the game for me.

Angelo

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 03, 2020, 01:46:47 PM
It's gas to see some of the different perceptions that people have of players, it's insane to me that Joyce could be considered as anything else bar an unbelievable passer and distributor of the ball, he'd be country miles ahead of O'Neill on that aspect of the game for me.

O'Neill was an unbelievable passer, had magnificent vision, two footed, he was a natural no 11 but Tyrone had a certain Brian McGuigan there so he was utilised more so inside. He won an All Star at 11 in his debut season for Tyrone.

Joyce was a great player but I think it's ridiculous to say he was a country mile ahead of O'Neill when it came to passing or distribution. O'Neill had few peers in that regard when he played the game.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Manning18

Trying my best not to upset or diminish anyone from Tyrone, so il say that Peter Canavan is the greatest player I personally (30s) have seen. I thought Sean Cavanagh along with Gooch were the players of the noughties. I'd have Dooher next in Tyrone terms, maybe with Jordan and McGuigan. Only after those would O'Neill and Mugsy feature. O'Neill was exceptional in 05. Out of interest, and conceding that he had his fair share of injuries, how many years did he even consistently start outside of that? 2?

trueblue1234

He got 3 all stars but suffered badly with injuries. I personally would have him 2nd only to Canavan in natural ability but was robbed of a few years unfortunately. Doesn't compare to Joyce for longevity. Both fantastic players. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Angelo

Quote from: Manning18 on October 03, 2020, 10:27:56 PM
Trying my best not to upset or diminish anyone from Tyrone, so il say that Peter Canavan is the greatest player I personally (30s) have seen. I thought Sean Cavanagh along with Gooch were the players of the noughties. I'd have Dooher next in Tyrone terms, maybe with Jordan and McGuigan. Only after those would O'Neill and Mugsy feature. O'Neill was exceptional in 05. Out of interest, and conceding that he had his fair share of injuries, how many years did he even consistently start outside of that? 2?

O'Neill and McGuigan were blighted by injuries unfortunately but their ability shone through when they were fit and healthy. I'd say that's a fair summation in terms of Tyrone players.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

smelmoth

Connolly had massive talent. I don't for 1 moment think his footballing talent was overrated. His discipline was shocking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ab_channel=PaulByrne&v=AqcEq1hsT6s/watch?ab_channel=PaulByrne&v=AqcEq1hsT6s

That is horrific. No push. No need. Just the needless drive of the knee into the back of the head of a player on the ground. Real nasty.

Canavan had his own issues. As a Armagh man Dooher would have done plenty of pulling and dragging but never saw him do anything dangerous other than on the scoreboard

Lar Naparka

Quote from: sid waddell on September 30, 2020, 11:31:49 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 30, 2020, 10:47:55 PM
Diarmuid Connolly
A sad day, a true Dublin folk hero

But his last match was the five in a row, what a way to go out

I retain hope that I might yet get to see him play again for St Vincent's under the lights at a packed Parnell Park some time in the not too distant future - there was a mythical quality about those nights - they always seemed to be nights - everybody was there to see Dermo, and he always seemed to pull something special out of the bag

Gaelic football's Ronnie O'Sullivan
+1.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tonto1888

He was a fantastic player. Sad that he has retired

On the ONeill debate, as an armagh man I hated him. As a football fan he was brilliant. Can't say anymore than rhat

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Angelo on October 03, 2020, 05:51:25 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 03, 2020, 01:46:47 PM

O'Neill was an unbelievable passer, had magnificent vision, two footed, he was a natural no 11 but Tyrone had a certain Brian McGuigan there so he was utilised more so inside. He won an All Star at 11 in his debut season for Tyrone.

Joyce was a great player but I think it's ridiculous to say he was a country mile ahead of O'Neill when it came to passing or distribution. O'Neill had few peers in that regard when he played the game.

Country mile may have been too harsh in terms of a description to be fair, I'll withdraw it.
I suppose to me O'Neill (who I do consider a great player) was more of a top class score getter and not a player who immediately springs to my mind as a top class passer and if I was to - again only my subjective opinion - say who I considered superior in that aspect of the game I'd have Joyce ahead. Both great players at the end of the day, unconscious county bias and who you saw more of is going to colour the judgement a bit.