Does Anybody Really Care About The Titanic? Really Like? Really?

Started by Applesisapples, April 12, 2012, 03:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I thought this was interesting. It supports the argument that the use of 'unsinkable' as promo before the sinking led to a relaxed attitude to the safety and evacuation procedures as she floundered. You'd need to make your own mind up about some of the material.

http://home.comcast.net/~georgebehe/titanic/page2.htm

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2012, 11:30:09 PM

On the night of the Titanic's collision, there was no fog, but neither was there any moonlight either. As a result, the lookout was unable to see the iceberg in the distance, but did see it just before impact. He naturally shouted a warning, just in time for the ship to attempt evasive action.

However the ship was unable to avoid the iceberg completely, so that the berg tore a long hole in the side of the ship under the waterline, penetrating 5 adjoining compartments. The Titanic was built to withstand flooding in three compartments, but no more than that, so it was pretty unlucky all round.

Ironically, had the lookout not seen the iceberg at all, modern experts reckon that the ship was so strong that she would have survived a head-on collison with no major damage, and possibly few casualties (there were very few crew, and no passengers near the bow).

The above information makes it pretty clear that -- even on a dark night -- icebergs can nevertheless be seen at distances of up to two miles from a shipboard observer. However, it is also pretty clear that an isolated iceberg with quirky physical characteristics (height, color, shape etc.) can sometimes avoid being seen by a ship's lookouts until that berg has moved far closer to a vessel than its more visible - but more distant -- neighbors.

It is this writer's opinion that, on the night of April 14, 1912, it was the *excellent* visibility (rather than *reduced* visibility) that was one of the primary causes of the Titanic disaster. The Titanic's officers were apparently so utterly confident of their ability to see icebergs at great distances that they maintained the Titanic's high speed in the mistaken belief that they would have plenty of time to alter course and avoid any berg that might appear directly in the path of the ship.

Researchers who have read the present author's book, "Titanic: Safety, Speed and Sacrifice" are already familiar with the evidence which suggests that the Titanic's lookouts may have sighted and reported three separate, distant icebergs that passed by the Titanic during the half-hour that preceded her encounter with the *fatal* iceberg at 11:40 p.m. The present author can't help but wonder if the sighting of these three 'early' icebergs at a considerable distance from the Titanic might have contributed to the overconfidence that was exhibited by the Titanic's officers that night. After all, if the lookouts were able to see three passing icebergs at distances of up to two miles from the ship, the Titanic's officers would have had no reason to believe that the lookouts could not see *all* icebergs at ranges of up to two miles -- which would have given the officers plenty of time and distance in which to alter the Titanic's course in order to avoid a potential collision.

Sadly, the Titanic's officers were mistaken in their belief that the night's crystal clear visibility would insure that their speeding vessel would be kept safe from all harm.

http://home.comcast.net/~georgebehe/titanic/page16.htm

Just one man's opinion but interesting all the same.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2012, 10:46:25 PM

Quote from: BennyCake on April 12, 2012, 08:18:20 PMPersonally though, I would be more inclined to believe the story that it was deliberately sank as part of an insurance scam.

Why waste your time on 100 year old conspiracies, when there are any number of other, more recent plots which would benefit from your knowledge, expertise and finely honed skills of forensic analysis eg 9/11, the Moon landings or the murder of Princess Diana...

;D

randomtask

Holy god never in my life have i been as sickened hearing about something. Actually stopped watching the ITV an BBC news as much, due to the s**t they call "reporting" on this subject.

nifan

100000 tickets presold for the exhibit suggests a lot of people are interested.

JUst retired

Last Man

Funny quote form the Anderson Show the other day: "..thousands of Americans were surprised to learn that the sinking of the Titanic is a true story and not just a movie!"

oisinog

O'Neill all the reports you provided are after the ship sank the media were putting their own spin on it.

No one ever claimed that the Titanic was "unsinkable". The quote, "practically unsinkable" was taken out of context. In 1911, Shipbuilder magazine published an article describing the construction of the Titanic. The article stated that when the watertight doors were closed, the ship would be "practically unsinkable".

laceer

It's about time this place cashed in on the story of the Titanic. If it had been built in America the theme park would be in its 50th year by now. Anything that brings money and/or jobs to this part of the world should be welcomed

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2012, 07:42:51 PM
Ya must watch a lot of news!! I haven't really heard a peep about it. Though I don't watch the news at all. If ya don't care about it why put up a thread about it and give it more attention? (well on here)

If the ship had have been built on the Liffey by a load of taigs and not too many prods would we be raving about it?

Wind your necks in. A few facts, the greatest ship built (of it's time) Built here on our wee island. Crashed on it's maiden voyage into an iceberg!! 1500 souls died and due to the deaths changes on design and health and safety measures were taken (namely adequate lifebouts) on new builds.
Certainly not the greatest ship of our time as it sank! It's a tragedy that so many died but, hey I only asked the question was it just me being grumpy? I guess you would say yes.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Last Man on April 13, 2012, 09:29:49 AM
Funny quote form the Anderson Show the other day: "..thousands of Americans were surprised to learn that the sinking of the Titanic is a true story and not just a movie!"
Sums up the Yanks.

oisinog

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 13, 2012, 11:10:41 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2012, 07:42:51 PM
Ya must watch a lot of news!! I haven't really heard a peep about it. Though I don't watch the news at all. If ya don't care about it why put up a thread about it and give it more attention? (well on here)

If the ship had have been built on the Liffey by a load of taigs and not too many prods would we be raving about it?

Wind your necks in. A few facts, the greatest ship built (of it's time) Built here on our wee island. Crashed on it's maiden voyage into an iceberg!! 1500 souls died and due to the deaths changes on design and health and safety measures were taken (namely adequate lifebouts) on new builds.
Certainly not the greatest ship of our time as it sank! It's a tragedy that so many died but, hey I only asked the question was it just me being grumpy? I guess you would say yes.

Apples its split accross everyone. I have a friend who works in a hotel and she will kill the next person who mentions titanic to her.

I love my history which is why I am intrested in it

Canalman

Quote from: laceer on April 13, 2012, 10:55:03 AM
It's about time this place cashed in on the story of the Titanic. If it had been built in America the theme park would be in its 50th year by now. Anything that brings money and/or jobs to this part of the world should be welcomed

Think you are wrong there Laceer. America doesn't "do failure" like we do here in Europe and whatever way you look at it Titanic was a complete and utter disaster.

laceer

Quote from: Canalman on April 13, 2012, 11:28:53 AM
Quote from: laceer on April 13, 2012, 10:55:03 AM

Think you are wrong there Laceer. America doesn't "do failure" like we do here in Europe and whatever way you look at it Titanic was a complete and utter disaster.

The film did pretty well in America though? I'd say America would "do" anything that would make a buck

Canalman

Quote from: Last Man on April 13, 2012, 09:29:49 AM

In fairness in a nation of c300 million people that is not too bad. Sad to say but I would be confident in saying that there are "thousands" in this fair isle of ours who think likewise.