What is the fastest ball sport?

Started by Maroon Heaven, August 24, 2009, 10:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

This came up a few months back when someone said Hurling would be up there.

I saw this youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kp2J8gW1qw and a

golf ball was clocked at 204mph
Jai alai - 188 mph
Tennis - 153 mph
Baseball - 127 mph

Anyone got a figure for Hurling

AZOffaly

Hang on. That's the fastest the ball moves at. That's not what people mean when they say hurling is the fastest field game. They mean the speed the ball moves around the pitch, the speed the players move at etc etc.

the colonel

The most I have seen a hurling ball move is around 105mph on a speed cage
the difference between success and failure is energy

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Agree with AZ was always told that Hurling was the fastest team field sport in the world.
Tbc....

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2009, 10:26:53 AM
Hang on. That's the fastest the ball moves at. That's not what people mean when they say hurling is the fastest field game. They mean the speed the ball moves around the pitch, the speed the players move at etc etc.

AZ - I know all about the idea that Hurling is the fastest team sport.

Someone back in Feb had mentioned about the speed a Hurling ball can get to. I merely asked if anyone had recorded a speed for it.

If Baseball is at 127 - I'd imagine a Sliotar would travel faster.

the colonel

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on August 24, 2009, 10:50:18 AM

Someone back in Feb had mentioned about the speed a Hurling ball can get to. I merely asked if anyone had recorded a speed for it.

I would love to see someone who could hit 127 but one of the best strikers of a ball in antrim was going full pelt to hit it around 105. I couldn't see a jump of over 20mph
the difference between success and failure is energy

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Is a baseball not heavier and would therefore travel faster ?
Tbc....

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 24, 2009, 10:53:13 AM

But with a baseball it is been thrown in the opposite direction as it will be hit - so surely that takes some of the speed off it.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on August 24, 2009, 11:02:18 AM

But with a baseball it is been thrown in the opposite direction as it will be hit - so surely that takes some of the speed off it.

Not sure, just wiki'd it there and 100 mph was the answer?!?
Tbc....

Hardy

I think what they mean is they haven't a clue. I've always taken that "fastest field game in the world" line as meaningless guff. Just part of the old misty-eyed hurling-good, football-bad propaganda. Who measured it? And what did they measure? And when was it announced? And what does it mean? And who cares?

And that's from someone who likes the game.

Mario

I think this puts speed on the ball, the change of momentum is greater or something, for example in soccer try heading a ball coming at you at pace in the opposite direction, you get alot more pace on it than if you threw it up for yourself. As someone else has already mentioned, this quote that hurling is the fastest ball game in the world, is such a load of bollix, what are you measuring.

Lecale2

Is polo not faster?

Surely a pony can run faster than most hurlers?

Donnellys Hollow

Jai alai - now there's a sport!!

There was this yank who was in college with me who used to play it. You'd know about it if you got a belt of that ball the speed it goes at.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: the colonel on August 24, 2009, 10:52:48 AM
Quote from: Maroon Heaven on August 24, 2009, 10:50:18 AM

I would love to see someone who could hit 127 but one of the best strikers of a ball in antrim was going full pelt to hit it around 105. I couldn't see a jump of over 20mph

Was this clocked Colonel???

gallsman

Quote from: Mario on August 24, 2009, 11:35:12 AM

I think this puts speed on the ball, the change of momentum is greater or something, for example in soccer try heading a ball coming at you at pace in the opposite direction, you get alot more pace on it than if you threw it up for yourself. As someone else has already mentioned, this quote that hurling is the fastest ball game in the world, is such a load of bollix, what are you measuring.

Surely the speeds in baseball refer to pitching speeds, not the speed coming off the bat, no?