American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 29, 2011, 10:42:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 29, 2011, 09:22:05 AM
Delighted with Patrick Peterson. Of course the Cards need a lot more, including a QB, but they still have a chance of picking up a decent one in round 2, or else, more likely Free Agency.

It was a good pick but I still think they should have gone with Gabbert. They need a qb to go with Fitzgerald as he might leave next season

They'll get a QB. But it may not be in the draft. Peterson was the 'best player on the board'.

Minder

Delighted with Patrick Peterson. Of course the Cards need a lot more, including a QB, but they still have a chance of picking up a decent one in round 2, or else, more likely Free Agency.

Edit, just looking at a few sites there, appears to be a rumour about Patrick Peterson trade for Kevin Kolb.Not sure about that. I'd like someone like Kolb, but not for a 1st round pick.

There is no way, I don't think, that a team would give up a first rounder for Kolb, who is largely unproven. Mind you in the NFL nothing would surprise me. Still trying to work out how Newton went #1.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

Happy with the Falcons getting Julio Jones, we need a big time receiver if we are going to win in the play-offs. At the moment the Falcons are a sturdy safe team but they aren't explosive enough, especially at WR. I know Roddy White gets great numbers but it doesn't translate into points often enough.

Having said that we gave up this years 27th pick and 4th round pick, next years 1st, 2nd and 4th round pick. Thats a lot, but I guess Dimitroff knows talent.

We still have problems on defense and I'm not sure if we can resolve any of it in the Draft this year or next year.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 29, 2011, 10:30:10 AM
As a Bears fan I'm pretty happy with Carimi. Lucky he dropped that far.

Agree, best they could have picked. Would need about another 20lbs for the start of the season though.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: David McKeown on April 29, 2011, 02:31:14 AM
Cam Newton number 1 pick and Jake Locker at 8. Talk about reaching. That said who in the Vikings Front Office thinks Ponder is a first round pick let alone number 12 especially with Mallet still on the board. I dispair.

Newton was exactly what the Panthers need, he will be a good starter for them.

Biggest steals of the draft Ravens getting Jimmy Smith at CB (top ten pick imo) and Saints grabbing Ingram.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

David McKeown

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on April 29, 2011, 11:41:25 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on April 29, 2011, 02:31:14 AM
Cam Newton number 1 pick and Jake Locker at 8. Talk about reaching. That said who in the Vikings Front Office thinks Ponder is a first round pick let alone number 12 especially with Mallet still on the board. I dispair.

Newton was exactly what the Panthers need, he will be a good starter for them.

Biggest steals of the draft Ravens getting Jimmy Smith at CB (top ten pick imo) and Saints grabbing Ingram.

I am not at all surprised Newton went No1 I just dont think he was deserving of being a No 1 pick, I also don't think Locker or Ponder should have been top 12 picks.

Agree about Smith and whilst I think Ingram is a good football player, there isnt that much need for a stand out running back in the league, particularly when 5 of your opponents are imo likely to be in the top 10 against the run.  As a result I think the pick of Cameron Jordan was their better pick
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

thejuice

None of the QB's were that good to be fair.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: thejuice on April 29, 2011, 11:22:38 AM
Happy with the Falcons getting Julio Jones, we need a big time receiver if we are going to win in the play-offs. At the moment the Falcons are a sturdy safe team but they aren't explosive enough, especially at WR. I know Roddy White gets great numbers but it doesn't translate into points often enough.

Having said that we gave up this years 27th pick and 4th round pick, next years 1st, 2nd and 4th round pick. Thats a lot, but I guess Dimitroff knows talent.

We still have problems on defense and I'm not sure if we can resolve any of it in the Draft this year or next year.

Falcons obviously feel that an explosive offensive talent like Jones could be the difference in pushing them over the edge to reach a Superbowl. They gave up an awful lot to get him though. They could have plugged a fair few holes with all those picks but they obviously want to go for it in the next year or two.

tyroneman

Cam 'I want to be an icon' Newton is a big enough gamble at no1. Questionable work ethic and already a legend in his own head.

Don't think he'll be a bust in the same vien as a JaMarcus Russell but that's  brave move taking him first.

GalwayBayBoy

The Patriots now have 3 picks in the 2nd round (after trading down yet again) so will be interesting to see what they do. They have the next pick up and must be tempted to pick Da'Quan Bowers who many think is the best defensive end in the draft but has slipped because teams are worried about his knee injury. The Pats badly need a pass rusher and they don't seem to worry about drafting injured players as much as most teams do.

Minder

Quote from: tyroneman on April 29, 2011, 02:53:11 PM
Cam 'I want to be an icon' Newton is a big enough gamble at no1. Questionable work ethic and already a legend in his own head.

Don't think he'll be a bust in the same vien as a JaMarcus Russell but that's  brave move taking him first.

The off field issues aside, I remember reading a few months ago that pro scouts had about 12 throws that Newton has made in College to study, the rest of his throws, formations etc would never translate to the NFL.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tyroneman

From what I understand Newton was pretty much always throwing from shotgun and had very little reading of the play to do. Very different from what an NFL QB would be at.

Puckoon

Edit, just looking at a few sites there, appears to be a rumour about Patrick Peterson trade for Kevin Kolb.Not sure about that. I'd like someone like Kolb, but not for a 1st round pick.

Nevada's stud should be available in the second round AZ.  :)

Jimmy

Puckoon

Quote from: Puckoon on April 29, 2011, 04:47:10 PM

Nevada's stud should be available in the second round AZ.  :)

And Kap goes to the 49ers. :)