American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Ha ha, loved the Giant French Flags behind Christina, are the Yank finally acknowledging that France defeated Britain for them in the British 13 Colonies War of Tax Doging.

O.K. time to turn this shite over and watch some paint dry.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Orior on February 06, 2011, 11:25:21 PM
Thankfully, she didnt do anything dirrrrty.

Thats her worst song yet. Is it in the charts yet?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on February 06, 2011, 11:25:38 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 06, 2011, 11:21:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2011, 10:22:47 PM
I'll say if the over/under is 45, and it's over, then the Packers win. Under, and I think the Steelers win.

English, please! That's what I hate about American sports. Just when I think I understand them - and I do try, I really invest a lot of time in baseball - I read something like this and go . . . wha'?

More than 45 pts in the game = "over", less than 45 pts = "under"
Sorry deiseach. Basically what Minder said. Las Vegas sets odds for the total points scored in the game, and it's called the 'Over/Under'. The higher the number the more points Vegas thinks will be scored. You, as a bettor, can gamble on more (Over) or less (Under) the points total being scored.

The official line for this game is is 46 points. I think that if the total points scored is less than 46, the Steelers have a great chance at winning it, if it's more than 46, I think the Pack will win.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2011, 11:29:38 PM
I'll say if the over/under is 45, and it's over, then the Packers win. Under, and I think the Steelers win.

English, please! That's what I hate about American sports. Just when I think I understand them - and I do try, I really invest a lot of time in baseball - I read something like this and go . . . wha'?

Sorry deiseach. Basically what Minder said. Las Vegas sets odds for the total points scored in the game, and it's called the 'Over/Under'. The higher the number the more points Vegas thinks will be scored. You, as a bettor, can gamble on more (Over) or less (Under) the points total being scored.

The official line for this game is is 46 points. I think that if the total points scored is less than 46, the Steelers have a great chance at winning it, if it's more than 46, I think the Pack will win.

Okay. So if it's an open game, you think Green Bay will win. Gotcha.

ross4life

Could have been worse.. could have got Britney Spears to sing it, BTW did anyone spot the Irish man in the Michael Douglas piece?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on February 06, 2011, 11:31:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2011, 11:29:38 PM

Okay. So if it's an open game, you think Green Bay will win. Gotcha.

In a nutshell, yes :D I lapsed into ESPN-Speak

Denn Forever

I'll never complain about the crap singing of our National anthem again.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2011, 11:33:36 PM
In a nutshell, yes :D I lapsed into ESPN-Speak

Ach, no bother. I probably would complain if you sanitised / sanitized it

deiseach

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 06, 2011, 11:34:13 PM
I'll never complain about the crap singing of our National anthem again.

I presume the average American moans about how cheesy these performances are.

Please someone tell me the average American moans about how cheesy these performances are.

AZOffaly

Packers dodged a bullet there. Good counter rucking by Green Bay :)

Deiseach, most Americans don't really complain about how cheesey they are, but they don't take them too seriously either. It's just part of the pageantry.

deiseach

If they saw Le Marseillaise in the Stade de France, they'd change the pageant. Don't they let the crowd sing it at baseball games?

AZOffaly

Not really. There's usually some sort of 'performer'. You might be mixing it up with the 7th inning stretch in Baseball which used to be 'Take me out to the ballgame', but since 9/11 they've even added America the Beautiful to that.

Declan

Steelers running game looking ominous

deiseach

Last stupid question. I promise. Why are the guys under the punts leaving the ball bounce? It looks like a bit close to the onrushing attackers for comfort, or am I reading how 'close' that is incorrectly?

AZOffaly

On  a punt the kicking team can only recover if it hits off a receiving team player first. So basically if the receiver doesn't think he has a clear chance at catching it/returning it, he will let it go. He will then hope it goes into the end zone, like that last one, as that means you start back out on the 20.

The kicking team will chase it because if they manage to catch it before it goes into the endzone, the receiving team will start from wherever they catch it.

By the way, no bother with the 'stupid' questions. That's the whole purpose of a thread like this on a night like this :D