American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anportmorforjfc

Sky were showing red zone at 6pm then a 9.15 game. So 19 teams can still make the playoffs going into the last 2 weeks with only 12 able to make it. A win at St Louis next week and i can see the niners winning the division (i don't see Seattle winning in Tampa).

RealSpiritof98

Really enjoyed the Red Zone on Sky last nite, pity Detriot ruined my bet with their 1st road win in 3 years, typical.
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on December 20, 2010, 01:11:06 PM
Sky were showing red zone at 6pm then a 9.15 game. So 19 teams can still make the playoffs going into the last 2 weeks with only 12 able to make it. A win at St Louis next week and i can see the niners winning the division (i don't see Seattle winning in Tampa).

Unreal that the 49ers can still win the div, but I dont know if I want them to after that shambles on Thursday nite, looked well below what is needed for a team making an assualt on the play-offs, but stranger things have happened and im strapped in for the ride.

magpie seanie

Red Zone was awesone especially if you're involved in a fantasy competition. I was virtually on my knees praying that the ball would be given to a certain Rams RB on 2nd and goal when things were starting to look hairy for me* last night! It was, he got over and barring negative scoring tonight (which even in the conditions promised is still unlikely) I'm through.

* Just to confirm - Rex Grossman did actually throw multiple TD passes last night including 2 to Santana Moss? Perhaps its a different Rex Grossman than the guy who stank out Chicago?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2010, 03:22:07 PM
Red Zone was awesone especially if you're involved in a fantasy competition. I was virtually on my knees praying that the ball would be given to a certain Rams RB on 2nd and goal when things were starting to look hairy for me* last night! It was, he got over and barring negative scoring tonight (which even in the conditions promised is still unlikely) I'm through.

* Just to confirm - Rex Grossman did actually throw multiple TD passes last night including 2 to Santana Moss? Perhaps its a different Rex Grossman than the guy who stank out Chicago?

Why was Mc Nabb Dropped ? did he not get a new 5 year deal a few weeks ago ? Seems a strange one
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

magpie seanie

Bears clinch division with a nice spanking of the viqueens. I'd say Stew enjoyed that one especially with Favre getting knocked out of the game for the 124th time in a row (seems like that anyway) and possibly the last time. Devin Hester finally  :o breaks the returns for TD's record! Not many rating the Bears still but they've a very good defense and very good special teams. Offense is patchy but running it better in recent weeks and can get it done through the air too so they'll be a dangerous opponent in the playoffs. Would be great to win in Lambeau in week 17 to go 6-0 in what isn't that bad a division.

Puckoon

The Bears and Jay Cutler are really a strange one. This could work very well, or Cutler could fold in the playoffs. If they keep him protected, and keep him from making those 2 or 3 bad throws per game that can kill their chances - the bears will be hard to beat. Keeping him playing smart is the kicker however - and he still has that propensity to airball it into the defenders waiting arms when he gets put under pressure.

Capt Pat

Quote from: the Deel Rover on December 21, 2010, 11:52:20 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 20, 2010, 03:22:07 PM

Why was Mc Nabb Dropped ? did he not get a new 5 year deal a few weeks ago ? Seems a strange one

The Redskins have a clause in the contract that says they can cut him after this year if they like. I don't know what they are thinlpking., their receiving group is mediocre and their running backs are always injured and can struggle behind a mediocre offensive line. I think they are just keeping McNabb on his toes, but I don't know and they might cut him. They are known for making dumb moves. Look at the Haynesworth signing.

The Bears will get found out in the playoffs. They are not as good as they look. Just don't kick the ball to Hester and Cutler and Forte will struggle to get things done on offense.

I think the Saints will win the superbowl. Bush and Pierre Thomas added to their rookie discovery Chris Ivory and the Drew Brees passing game will make them very hard to deal with.

ross4life

La lakers vs Miami heat Christmas day 10pm on ESPN should be worth a watch.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mc_grens

Quote from: ross4life on December 21, 2010, 07:10:37 PM
La lakers vs Miami heat Christmas day 10pm on ESPN should be worth a watch.

Lakers to win. Heat are on a streak against weaker teams. Their offense mostly comes from running, which is fine for pouring it on against minnows, but is bad for two things:

1) beating good defensive teams.
2) winning in the playoffs.

Beat the Heat!

AZOffaly

I know Donovan McNabb has a house in Phoenix, like a lot of other pro athletes. I wonder would he fancy being the Cardinals QB. If the Skins don't want him, we'll take him.

Take him, draft a QB high, or groom Skelton if you think he's good enough, and sort out the QB position. It's embarrassing what the Cards have done this year at that position.

magpie seanie

It really is a joke how bad AZ's qb's have been. What a waste of a prime year of Larry Fitz's career.

Orior

Quote from: Puckoon on December 21, 2010, 06:27:47 PM
The Bears and Jay Cutler are really a strange one. This could work very well, or Cutler could fold in the playoffs. If they keep him protected, and keep him from making those 2 or 3 bad throws per game that can kill their chances - the bears will be hard to beat. Keeping him playing smart is the kicker however - and he still has that propensity to airball it into the defenders waiting arms when he gets put under pressure.

I sat up to watch that last night, but folded even before the first ball was kicked. Glad to see the Bears win, but hats off to Favre all the same.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gabriel_Hurl

Cracking Jets/Bears game here - its 38-31 coming up to the end of the third quarter

Capt Pat

It would be a tragedy for the CHargers if they don't make the playoffs, a super bowl contender who can't even beat out the average teams in their division.