American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: stew on June 02, 2010, 10:28:16 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on June 02, 2010, 06:22:16 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on June 02, 2010, 10:36:55 AM
Name me one player who won an NBA title in the modern era without a great teammate?

Actually, on this point I'll give you Olajuwon in '94, although the Rockets were up against an equally one trick pony dominated Knick team.

People are saying Pippen was great, I think he was excellent but not by any means a great player, Jordan helped him play at a level he was not capable without Jordan, case in point when Jordan retired to play baseball.

I think everyone knows why Jordan "retired"

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 02, 2010, 11:00:01 PM
Name me one player who won an NBA title in the modern era without a great teammate?

Actually, on this point I'll give you Olajuwon in '94, although the Rockets were up against an equally one trick pony dominated Knick team.

People are saying Pippen was great, I think he was excellent but not by any means a great player, Jordan helped him play at a level he was not capable without Jordan, case in point when Jordan retired to play baseball.

I think everyone knows why Jordan "retired"

He retired because of his gambling on sports and in all likelihood told to feck off until the heat was off, (allegedly)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mc_grens

Drexler went to the Rockets in 95.

Pippen was class. The dream team coaches in '92 said he was the best player there other than Jordan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041101

There are great you tube videos to illustrate the point with too.

Bottom line: If , everyday in practice you guarded the best player ever and he guarded you, you'd find it easy going against everyone else.

mc_grens

Stew in '94 the Bulls got all the way to game 7 against the Knicks in the East finals, and would have beaten them but for one of the worst foul calls in NBA history.

If they beat the Knicks, then Chicago goes on to beat the Rockets.

stew

Quote from: mc_grens on June 02, 2010, 11:11:01 PM

Pippen was class. The dream team coaches in '92 said he was the best player there other than Jordan.

Bottom line: If , everyday in practice you guarded the best player ever and he guarded you, you'd find it easy going against everyone else.

Thats true mcGrens, I will give you that but the difference is Jordan made Pippen better just by being there and the Bulls did feck all when he left.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mc_grens

Quote from: stew on June 02, 2010, 11:15:35 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on June 02, 2010, 11:11:01 PM

Thats true mcGrens, I will give you that but the difference is Jordan made Pippen better just by being there and the Bulls did feck all when he left.

Don't forget Michael didn't win a title without Scottie either! Read Simmons' article. Pippen was pretty much the perfect basketball player as far as I'm concerned. Perpetual, graceful motion, light on his feet, fluid, athletically extremely efficient, THE great shutdown defender (ask Magic), and perfectly capable of taking over a game offensively too.

Carmen Stateside

Unreal scenes in Detroit were one of the Tigers pitchers has just been denied a complete game in the final out by a terrible and wrong umpire call.  This will cause big scene. Think the lad pitching is only 20/21 years of age.  :o

Gabriel_Hurl

Not just a complete game - a PERFECT game.

Easily the worst sports decision I've ever seen - it's up there with Henry's handball

Carmen Stateside

Sorry perfect i meant.  Terrible decision.

gallsman

Ken Griffey Jr. announces retirement.

No accusations ever levelled against him as far as I know. For baseball's sake, this needs to stay the same way in the coming years!

Gabriel_Hurl

who knows what he could have hit if he was healthy the whole time

The Iceman

Pippen was the best defensive player I have ever seen and he could turn it on offensively too and change a game.
Jordan was and still is the best there was IMO.  His all round game was fantastic and offensively he still could not be stopped by Pippen.
Try to watch Jordan coming out of retirement (15 months off from the game) to play in a Scottie Pippen charity game (can't remember what it was for). Fantastic battle and Jordan dominated - joy to watch.

Looking forward to Game 1 tonight.
Lets go Boston!!!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

new devil

Really dislike both teams.Lets go........the cheerleaders  :-\

gerry

Listening to the radio tonight and you lads taken this perfect game to serious
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,