American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Club Rossa on March 05, 2010, 12:20:55 PM
Antonio Cromartie goes to the Jets.

Jets are going to be even harder to throw on next season. Very impressive secondary they have with Revis and now Cromartie. And Jim Leonhard is a pretty good safety.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Minder on March 05, 2010, 05:25:47 PM
In fairness Pat, Rolle is looking $8m a year and the Cards are willing to give him $6m a yr. It's no as if they are just discarding him, they Ma have a shot at resigning him if his contract demands don't get out of hand.

I wouldn't go back to a team that treated me like that. I wouldn't go back to a team that treated me like that, I am due a big roster bonus at which point they say lets renegotiate the contract. There are 2 chances of that happening slim and none. He will get a good contract and a big signing bonus somewhere else from a team that will be saving themselves a first round draft pick. The Cowboys have a need at safety and a lot of money to spend.

Minder

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 05, 2010, 06:08:51 PM

Jets are going to be even harder to throw on next season. Very impressive secondary they have with Revis and now Cromartie. And Jim Leonhard is a pretty good safety.

Dunno Pat, Cromartie is unable or unwilling to tackle and is seen as "soft". Since his 10 interception season a few years ago he has had 5 in two seasons.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 05, 2010, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 05, 2010, 05:25:47 PM
In fairness Pat, Rolle is looking $8m a year and the Cards are willing to give him $6m a yr. It's no as if they are just discarding him, they Ma have a shot at resigning him if his contract demands don't get out of hand.

I wouldn't go back to a team that treated me like that. I wouldn't go back to a team that treated me like that, I am due a big roster bonus at which point they say lets renegotiate the contract. There are 2 chances of that happening slim and none. He will get a good contract and a big signing bonus somewhere else from a team that will be saving themselves a first round draft pick. The Cowboys
have a need at safety and a lot of money to spend.

As they keep saying though, it's just business. The players are as aware of that as anyone, for example when they try to renogoiate a contract after one good year. If they think try can get similar production from a player on less money the higher earning player will be cut every time, especially of he is due a roster bonus. Just like Thomas Jones earlier in the week.

mc_grens

Quote from: Minder on March 05, 2010, 06:17:28 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 05, 2010, 06:08:51 PM

Dunno Pat, Cromartie is unable or unwilling to tackle and is seen as "soft". Since his 10 interception season a few years ago he has had 5 in two seasons.

Absolutely. San Diego were dying to be rid of him. He has z chance to improve under Rex Ryan and opposite Revis. 

Problem is his off field paternity exploits are fast approaching Travis Henry levels. He has 7 children by 6 women in 5 states! He's also due in court for unpaid child support, unpaid traffic offenses, and was investigated for assault in November.

mc_grens

Da Bears look to be the big winner here.

Peppers is potentially fantastic under Rod Marinelli and Smith. Taylor gives them a legit 2nd RB, with experience and the soft hands  and pass catching ability that Martz loves. And Manumaleuna gives them the traditional blocking Tight End that Martz schemes require (He likes Te's to block and then block some more), freeing Olsen up to either be the league's most horrendous match up problem at slot receiver, or trade bait so the Bears can move back up in the draft and go after O-line help.

Minder

The Bears have been very aggressive in Free Agency and on paper lok to have considerably strengthened their roster. It really depends on what Julius Peppers they get though, will it be the Peppers that can dominate a game (probably hasnt done it as much as people thought coming out of North Carolina) or the two sack season Peppers had a couple of years ago. Players always play harder when they are in a contract year and now that he has the monster contract and most likely his last big contract, it will be interesting to see how hard he plays.

GalwayBayBoy

Boldin gone to the Ravens for 3rd and 4th round draft picks this year.

Minder

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 06, 2010, 12:44:39 PM
Boldin gone to the Ravens for 3rd and 4th round draft picks this year.

Saw that, is just what they need. They aren't far away now.

Club Rossa

Ravens were lacking in receivers.Great pickup for them.

barelegs

The Dolphins picking up Karlos Dansby is an automatic upgrade on Defense. The linebacking core was woeful last season.

Now to find a decent wide receiver and a nose tackle then we might just get something going

Minder

Quote from: barelegs on March 07, 2010, 12:53:55 AM
The Dolphins picking up Karlos Dansby is an automatic upgrade on Defense. The linebacking core was woeful last season.

Now to find a decent wide receiver and a nose tackle then we might just get something going

and a quarterback..........

Capt Pat

The cardinals have shed about half of their elite players, Dansby, Boldiin and Warner as well as just kicking Rolle out the door. The 49ers with 2 first round picks will take over in that division. The Seahawks also have 2 first round picks.

Minder

Agree Pat, they aren't a kick in the arse off becoming the Cards of old. Not sure Leinart is the answer, we will see how good te receivers really are without Warner, (Larry Fitt excluded)

mc_grens

They just took a step back the other way... Picked up Kerry Rhodes in a trade with the Jets for a 4th and a 7th.