American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

The way the ball flicked up off Rodgers foot after the sack for the OT touchown was fair unlucky!

AZOffaly

It was, but it was a fumble and the Cardinals were blitzing which means they had people there to recover it in any case. I doubt Rackers would have missed again from there.

mc_grens

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2010, 10:02:18 AM
the Cards are certainly entertaining to watch, and next weekend should be more of the same. I agree that Warner's matchup with the New Orleans secondary is very advantageous for the Cardinals. The Cardinals have such a varied passing attack that even good secondaries find it hard to cover all of them, and if the O-Line gives Warner a chance, and the Running backs offer a credible alternative, he can sit back and decide whether to pass to Fitz, Boldin, Doucet, Breston, Urban, hightower, Patrick etc etc etc. If Warner gets hurried/hassled though, he can be a turnover machine, and if that happens the Cards are goosed because I wouldn't trust that D as far as I'd throw Darnell Dockett.

The Jets will be confident going into San Diego, but the Chargers are a balanced offense, it's not just a case of shutting down the run, because the Bolts have more than one receiver. As someone said, Gates could have a field day. Having said that, if the Jets get a good start, Green and Jones have the ability to control the ball, control the game and grind out a win. That's the traditional play off way, and is still hard to beat. You can't score points without the ball.

I hope Dallas beat Minnesota, from the selfish perspective that if the Cardinals can take the Saints, I'd prefer to face Romo and co than Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, Vishente Shianko, Bernard Berrian and co.  However if the Cardinals lose to the Saints I'll be hoping for Minnesota, and I think the Vikes will win up there. The Cowboys will be loose after finally winning their first playoff game in about 12 years, and they are dangerous, but I think they can be beaten if the Vikings front 7 stands up to them and makes Romo throw into a 4 man coverage. If the Vikes have to put 8 in the box, then Miles Austin, Roy Williams, Jason Whitten and Patrick Clayton can do damage.

Finally, I think Indy may regret the momentum killer again this year. Resting your players is grand, but if they don't hit the ground running in the playoffs, you can be in an awful hole early. I don't think the Colts will run on the Ravens, even though Addai has been good, so it will come down to how much pressure the Ravens can get on Manning. He's like Warner in that if he has time, he can destroy you, especially with an outlet for check downs like Dallas Clark, but if you hit him hard and often he is as prone to poor throws as anyone else.

Looking forward to it.

the difference with Manning is that he gets rid of the ball so quickly, and goes through his reads so quickly, that even his 3rd and 4th option throws are very quick.

thejuice

seems like I missed a hell of a game last night. Stuck in the middle of doing loads of coursework and exams coming up, don't get to follow it as much as i'd like this season  :(
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

turk

Brilliant (late) match last night, sport at its best

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: thejuice on January 11, 2010, 11:40:33 AM
seems like I missed a hell of a game last night. Stuck in the middle of doing loads of coursework and exams coming up, don't get to follow it as much as i'd like this season  :(

I missed it cos I was out on a date - that wasn't nearly as exciting as the game I'm betting

Galwaybhoy

After the first thee matches being poor one sided affairs and with the Cards 14-0 up I decided to go to the pub.  Got a text from one of the lads later on saying something about a comeback.  Got him to keep me updated but looks like the one game I missed turned out to be a cracker.

Capt Pat

Game of the decade lads. What were you thinking. Course work and dates. ???

Puckoon

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 11, 2010, 01:09:15 PM

I missed it cos I was out on a date - that wasn't nearly as exciting as the game I'm betting

I missed all the football this weekend.  :(

Minder

Highlights of yesterdays wildcard games are on tonight at 8pm on Sky.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RealSpiritof98

looked a peach of a game lads, what a way to lose.

Dont think cards will retain the div though.

Just a quick question, any 49er fans out there think we can make the breakthrough next season

new devil

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 11, 2010, 01:09:15 PM

Please say you at least got the ride!!  :-\

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 11, 2010, 08:05:13 PM

Just a quick question, any 49er fans out there think we can make the breakthrough next season

yes i think they can, need another good year from davis and gore. Smith needs to be consistant and confident. Hoping crabtree will have a good year. if this goes to plan i think and hope the niners can make the play-offs.

thejuice

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 11, 2010, 11:09:55 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 11, 2010, 08:05:13 PM

yes i think they can, need another good year from davis and gore. Smith needs to be consistant and confident. Hoping crabtree will have a good year. if this goes to plan i think and hope the niners can make the play-offs.

49ers are strongly rumoured to be one of the teams playing London this year too.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016