American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: ONeill on January 10, 2010, 09:12:52 PM
Chargers v Jets next week.

I've a bad feeling that the week off may go against SD.

Nah shane/ladygaagaa the chargers will kick the shit outta the jets, they will win it all.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gawa316

Some game on at the minute.

38 all with 11 to go

new devil

45-45 with 1.46 left on the clock

new devil

Stew what do you think about favres chances  against dallas?

gallsman

Awful choke from Rackers. OT!

ONeill

Rackets looked shit-scared even practising.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

anportmorforjfc

AZOffaly

Cardiac Cards again. Holy bejaysus. I was screaming at the TV when they were on about the Cardinals 'underrated' defense. They've been giving up big play after big play for the past 2 years. The only time I feel safe is when the Cards have at least a 10 point lead with 3 seconds left, and the ball.

Savage game though. Kurt Warner -> Legend. How can there even be a debate about his hall of fame worth. Jim Kelly is in there for God's sake. Mac Gearailt got away with some very physical exchanges with Woodson, who is excellent, but he is an animal as well. And as for Earley Deucet!! I reckon I could play WR on that team :D

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2010, 01:23:56 AM
Cardiac Cards again. Holy bejaysus. I was screaming at the TV when they were on about the Cardinals 'underrated' defense. They've been giving up big play after big play for the past 2 years. The only time I feel safe is when the Cards have at least a 10 point lead with 3 seconds left, and the ball.

Savage game though. Kurt Warner -> Legend. How can there even be a debate about his hall of fame worth. Jim Kelly is in there for God's sake. Mac Gearailt got away with some very physical exchanges with Woodson, who is excellent, but he is an animal as well. And as for Earley Deucet!! I reckon I could play WR on that team :D

Skin. Of. Teeth

Massive defensive improvement needed to stop Brees next week.

heganboy

QuoteMassive defensive improvement

do you mean finding a defense? There wasn't a defense in sight today
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gabriel_Hurl

Brees will be licking his chops at the thought of playing against that secondary

BallyhaiseMan

Got to feel for Aaron Rodgers, he and the Green Bay offense were terrific throughout.
What a call and execution for that on-side kick aswell.
Larry Fitz is the best WR in the game for me,and its not even close,
But he got away twice with offensive pass interference on Woodson.
Fantastic game though,Cards offense will take stopping.It would 40+ points again for both teams next week in The Big Easy.
Kurt Warner deserves to be in talk for best QB in Football,alongside the likes of Manning,Brees,Brady.

RogerMilla

some savage football this weekend , matchsticks holding my eyes up after the cardinals game , they will need to put an extra digit on the scoreboards for cardinals saints  ;D

mc_grens

Wow. Some game. Not one for the purist with both Defences playing very poorly.

Wouldn't be counting any chickens about Brees yet. He didn't exactly make mince meat outta the Tampa Bay D a couple weeks back and they probably have the worst secondary in the league. Also Warner shouldn't be frightened to face the banged up New Orleans secondary, which had a poor second half of the season.

The Jets will be a tough matchup for San Diego, although I still will take the Bolts as their QB play is massively better than Cinci, and they just have so many targets to hit even if Vincent Jackson is shut down by Revis. I expect Gates to have a massive day against the Bungles injury ravaged Linebackers.

Ravens Colts will be interesting. We'll all find out if the furore over the Colts resting their starters was justified or not. However I can't see Peyton Manning and his receiving corps making as many mistakes against them as Brady and his lot did. Expect lots of Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne, and a steady diet of screen passes to slow down the Ravens rush.

Dallas Minnesota rests on Kevin Williams and the Vikes rush. Kevin has been mediocre this year. The rest of the front 4 has been its usual dominating self. Romo has looked good of late but he's been in the box seat due to strong protection and a good running game. The Vikings must get pressure as their secondary is mediocre. As good as the Dallas D was against Philly they now have to account for a multi dimensional Offence that can grind or hit you with big plays. I'm taking the Vikes to topple the evil Empire.

AZOffaly

the Cards are certainly entertaining to watch, and next weekend should be more of the same. I agree that Warner's matchup with the New Orleans secondary is very advantageous for the Cardinals. The Cardinals have such a varied passing attack that even good secondaries find it hard to cover all of them, and if the O-Line gives Warner a chance, and the Running backs offer a credible alternative, he can sit back and decide whether to pass to Fitz, Boldin, Doucet, Breston, Urban, hightower, Patrick etc etc etc. If Warner gets hurried/hassled though, he can be a turnover machine, and if that happens the Cards are goosed because I wouldn't trust that D as far as I'd throw Darnell Dockett.

The Jets will be confident going into San Diego, but the Chargers are a balanced offense, it's not just a case of shutting down the run, because the Bolts have more than one receiver. As someone said, Gates could have a field day. Having said that, if the Jets get a good start, Green and Jones have the ability to control the ball, control the game and grind out a win. That's the traditional play off way, and is still hard to beat. You can't score points without the ball.

I hope Dallas beat Minnesota, from the selfish perspective that if the Cardinals can take the Saints, I'd prefer to face Romo and co than Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, Vishente Shianko, Bernard Berrian and co.  However if the Cardinals lose to the Saints I'll be hoping for Minnesota, and I think the Vikes will win up there. The Cowboys will be loose after finally winning their first playoff game in about 12 years, and they are dangerous, but I think they can be beaten if the Vikings front 7 stands up to them and makes Romo throw into a 4 man coverage. If the Vikes have to put 8 in the box, then Miles Austin, Roy Williams, Jason Whitten and Patrick Clayton can do damage.

Finally, I think Indy may regret the momentum killer again this year. Resting your players is grand, but if they don't hit the ground running in the playoffs, you can be in an awful hole early. I don't think the Colts will run on the Ravens, even though Addai has been good, so it will come down to how much pressure the Ravens can get on Manning. He's like Warner in that if he has time, he can destroy you, especially with an outlet for check downs like Dallas Clark, but if you hit him hard and often he is as prone to poor throws as anyone else.

Looking forward to it.