American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

From what I understand, Cutler wanted out once McDaniels got rid of the Offensive staff and QB coach that were still there after Mike Shanahan was fired. Cutler liked working with them and was told by the owner that they were going to be kept on. McDaniels came in and cleared house to bring in his own staff. Cutler decided it was best he left too.

Once he knew he was on the trading block I think he made his mind up. But when the trade didnt come in, there was still no going back. I did kinda feel Cutler should just man up and get on with his job but now I can see why he's pissed off and wants out. I reckon the Jets might be a good home for him. I would take him above Cassell anyway.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Galwaybhoy

I understand why Cutler was annoyed but I feel he should just get on with it and prove that he is a good QB.

But if he doesn't want to be there then they should get rid of him.  I'd rather have a mediocre QB he gave 100% than a great QB who isn't motivated or interested.

The Jets would seem like a suitable home for him, but its all about what the Broncos get in return.  They need a good QB or at least someone who will do a good job in the short term.  I have heard a few QBs mentioned but none as good as or proven as Cutler and the other option of drafting a QB is a bit of a risk.

thejuice

its hard to know what the Broncos can get in a trade. The Jets havent much to offer other than a Draft picks. I dont think there will be many teams looking to do a straight swap at QB unless the Bronco's are willing to take a lower ranked QB just to get out of this mess.

maybe they should try sign Michael Vick  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Galwaybhoy

I said it to a friend of mine last night, I don't want Denver to touch Vick.  Even if he was the last resort. :P

I head some talk on one website of a trade for Donovan McNabb, who would be an OK short term signing maybe. Then Denver could take a QB as their no.1 draft pick and then if that works he could take over a year or two down the line.  Though drafting a QB is always risky, your never sure of what your going to get!  Other people of mentioned Brady Quinn, but again, unproven.

The Claw

I kinda admire the way he stood up for himself, he's a pro-bowler and controlled the second most productive offence last year and McDaniels comes in and tries to bring in Cassel. Cutler was hurt but said ok, I'll have a chat with McDaniels to get this moving. All Cutler wanted him to do was to say you're my man for the future but he started schooling him on what he has to do to improve etc.

I would love if Cutler came to the Jets, I don't think Clemens is up to much, Brett Ratliff looks ok but he's no Jay Cutler.
There is talk on nfl.com today of a trade with the Browns where either Anderson or Quinn would go to Denver, Cutler to Jets, and the draft pics going to Browns.

Jets offence really needs a spark now. Trouble at qb, poor at WR, TJ is aging and looking for a nw contract, we really need to drat well for once...

thejuice

Its always funny to see the Draft in New York, always a gang of Jets fans there who boo their 1st round pick, almost every year it seems.

Donavan McNabb would be good but will he leave Philly and would they let him leave, who do they have?
Brady Quinn makes more sense though he is unproven but might just get them out of a hole. maybe a vetern journey man like Jeff Garcia, dont think the Buccs want him anymore.

Gabriel_Hurl

Anyone watching March Madness?  8)

Oraisteach

Yeah, Gabriel, bits and pieces of it.  Not in a pool this year, so I don't have a vested interest.  Rooting for the five Ohio schools (but they won't last long, even though the Zips gave a Zags a bit of a thrill last night) as well as the Big Ten (bye-bye Illinois). 

new devil

Yea went to one of the big east games in the garden last week...you do any betting gab?

DrinkingHarp

The Flyin Illini looked grounded last nite without their top player, WKU is a good solid team and can beat Gonzaga.

The best bets are in the first round, take the dogs with points and you are looking at a 20-45% return on the bets.

Cutler would look great in a Bears uniform after the Bears give Denver- Grossman and a couple of picks. ;)

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Minder

Donte Stallworth of the Browns could be in the shit, he hit and killed a pedestrian whilst driving his car last week in Miami and there are now unconfirmed reports that he was airlocked.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

Got to hand it to Cleveland State for pulling the upset over Wake Forest.  Never imagined it.

Puckoon

Quote from: Minder on March 20, 2009, 11:04:56 PM
Donte Stallworth of the Browns could be in the shit, he hit and killed a pedestrian whilst driving his car last week in Miami and there are now unconfirmed reports that he was airlocked.

At least he wasnt drunk, then he could be in serious trouble.

Capt Pat

Quote from: thejuice on March 20, 2009, 11:49:47 AM
Its always funny to see the Draft in New York, always a gang of Jets fans there who boo their 1st round pick, almost every year it seems.

in fairness they have dropped a few clangers at the draft in the past

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYgGSHJ5hM

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Puckoon on March 23, 2009, 03:59:44 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 20, 2009, 11:04:56 PM

At least he wasnt drunk, then he could be in serious trouble.

Just wait and see....

Stallworth's attorney: Blood test not yet released

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Authorities have yet to release blood tests for Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth, who authorities say fatally struck a pedestrian in Miami Beach a week ago.
Donte' Stallworth, WR
Cleveland Browns

2008 Statistics:
Catches: 17
Yards: 170
TDs: 1

Meanwhile, his attorney is denying media reports that the tests show Stallworth was driving drunk.

Christopher Lyons said Saturday that neither police nor the state attorney's office have released the results of toxicology tests. They have not said specifically when they will be released.

The Miami Herald and local TV news, citing unnamed people, have reported that Stallworth's blood-alcohol level was above Florida's legal limit.

A Miami Beach police spokesman says the blood test results won't be released until the investigation is closed.

Stallworth hasn't been charged.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014