American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Funny stuff, a bit stupid but not really malicous.

Got tickets for Buccs-Pats game next year. Think I'll be boo-ing both teams though. Division rivals or the Patsy's, who would you support like!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2009, 11:49:38 AM
Going by the results so far, Offaly will be lucky to be in the Championship more than a few weeks after the Superbowl is over! Whatever about Warner, I'm looking into seeing whether Mac Gearailt has any Offaly blood in him. He'd be the answer to the midfield dilemma :D

As for the players focus, I think they'll be okay from that perspective. Warner and James have been there before, as has Wisenhunt and a couple of his coordinators. They have 2 weeks to focus, so they're entitled to blow off a little steam for a couple of days, and then get back into it.

They shouldn't have a chance against the Steelers, but if they play loose, and give it a lash, who knows?

Dont think James has "gone to the show" before,  had he not left Indy when they won a couple of years ago ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Minder on January 22, 2009, 11:42:42 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2009, 11:49:38 AM
Going by the results so far, Offaly will be lucky to be in the Championship more than a few weeks after the Superbowl is over! Whatever about Warner, I'm looking into seeing whether Mac Gearailt has any Offaly blood in him. He'd be the answer to the midfield dilemma :D

As for the players focus, I think they'll be okay from that perspective. Warner and James have been there before, as has Wisenhunt and a couple of his coordinators. They have 2 weeks to focus, so they're entitled to blow off a little steam for a couple of days, and then get back into it.

They shouldn't have a chance against the Steelers, but if they play loose, and give it a lash, who knows?

Dont think James has "gone to the show" before,  had he not left Indy when they won a couple of years ago ?

Your right minder James left the year that indy won the superbowl. according to one of the us commentators Indy held him in such esteem they got him a duplicate superbowl ring ang gave it to him
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

By being there before, I meant deep in the playoffs, big games, etc etc. Old hands basically. You are correct though, he only has a 'gift' ring.

Minder

If Boldin is at full speed the Cardinals chance of winning goes up significantly, Fitzgerald has been playing unbelievably well but Boldin is also a great receiver and put up some huge numbers earlier this year. Pittsburgh are tough to run on but if Arizona do not at least try to run to keep the Steelers D honest they will be fcuked........Would love to see Arizona win and one thing in their favour is the game is at a neutral venue. If the game was in Pittsburgh on a freezing,snowy night you wouldnt give the Cards any chance. Would love to see Warner get another ring to show it wasnt a fluke in 2000 with Rams, in fairness he has had some unreal weapons, Holt, Bruce, Faulk and now Larry Fitt, Boldin..........

AZOffaly

Don't forget Steve Breaston there as well Minder. He's the unsung hero at WR, all 3 of them had over 1,000 yards this season which is immense.

You are spot on in your analysis though. The Cards have to find some way to keep the Steelers off balance, and that means mixing in the run and the pass. If the Steelers can bottle up the run with a 3 man front, and drop the 4 linebackers they like to play into coverage, it will be hard for Warner to find the gaps.

The Steelers play 3-4 whereas the Eagles for eg. play a 4-3. That's an extra linebacker to contend with, almost like an extra safety in passing downs. The Cards have to keep the Steelers guessing.

One good thing is that Warner regularly uses 8-9 receivers a game, and is great at setting up screen passes to beat the pass rush, so they can hurt the Steelers if all goes well. Still a huge ask though.

DrinkingHarp

If the Cards have 3+ turnovers the game will be over, should be an exciting game all the same.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

anportmorforjfc

Should be a good game. Cardinals to win by 3  ;D

Minder

I have Monday booked off, hopefully stick it out to the end. Couldnt last year and missed the Giants winning drive. Hope the Cards do it, head say Steelers. Though if they put Rothlisberger on his hole a few times they may be in with a chance as the Steelers O-Line is piss poor.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: Minder on January 27, 2009, 11:54:07 AM
I have Monday booked off, hopefully stick it out to the end. Couldnt last year and missed the Giants winning drive. Hope the Cards do it, head say Steelers. Though if they put Rothlisberger on his hole a few times they may be in with a chance as the Steelers O-Line is piss poor.

I got to sleep at 5.30am last year, back up at 8 :(. But Phoenix was extra 2 hours behind us so shouldn't be as bad this year

Minder

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 27, 2009, 11:57:25 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 27, 2009, 11:54:07 AM

I got to sleep at 5.30am last year, back up at 8 :(. But Phoenix was extra 2 hours behind us so shouldn't be as bad this year

I thought the Super Bowl always starts at 6.18pm (ET) so is always around 11.18pm here, could be talking s*ite though..............

anportmorforjfc

maybe your right minder, then last years super bowl lasted around 6 hours

Carmen Stateside

Always starts around 6 eastern time. These times are determined by television, i think!

the Deel Rover

looking forward to sunday allready . mayo v's derry in tthe league opener then sit back and watch the superbowl. Is Burcie plaing at half time ? Really getting hooked on watching Americas game some great footage from years gone by . Was watching the 1968 Jets yesterday great programmes
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

RealSpiritof98

No real allegiance here so I'll get behind AZ and the cards
Always stay up for the bowl and if we get half the finish of last year I'll be happy, only problem is I'm on a new year fitness regime so it will pints of water and pumpkin seeds instead of the party bag of shite and 12 pack of Carlsberg.
Always do a few freaky bets as well