Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Gmac on January 31, 2018, 04:49:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 31, 2018, 10:04:31 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 31, 2018, 09:59:45 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 31, 2018, 09:53:13 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 31, 2018, 09:50:52 AM
Alex Smith is off to Washington, contracted to them for the next 5 seasons. First missing piece of the QB jigsaw in place.

Where will Cousins land? He's going to get a massive contract. I'm not sure I want him in Arizona to be honest, on that sort of Salary Cap hit. Who else is looking for QB? Cleveland might be in for him, they have space.

Broncos, Jags, Bills & Jets for starters I would say

Sorry, I should have phrased that better. Who else is looking for him , and has Cap Space?
cleveland

Read earlier on NFL.com that Jets have over $100m in cap space and Bills also have the cap space
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Think it's a brilliant deal for KC. They're clearly all in on Mahomes and a franchise QB on a rookie deal is the single best asset in football. Throw in Fuller (alongside Peters and Eric Berry!) and a pick and they've done brilliantly.

magpie seanie

Brilliant deal for the Chiefs. Not sure what the Redskins were at when you see the numbers and the other player involved.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on January 31, 2018, 06:59:46 PM
Think it's a brilliant deal for KC. They're clearly all in on Mahomes and a franchise QB on a rookie deal is the single best asset in football. Throw in Fuller (alongside Peters and Eric Berry!) and a pick and they've done brilliantly.

Only if Mahones is a franchise QB, something no one even in KC actually knows yet. Big risk.

magpie seanie

They were going with Mahomes regardless. To get what they got for Smith is brilliant.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on January 31, 2018, 08:05:06 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 31, 2018, 06:59:46 PM

Only if Mahones is a franchise QB, something no one even in KC actually knows yet. Big risk.

Of course, but they've clearly decided he's their guy. Having made the decision to trade (whether history proves them right or wrong), they did a damn good job of it.

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 31, 2018, 09:51:31 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on January 31, 2018, 05:17:28 AM
Quote from: stew on January 31, 2018, 12:44:51 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on January 29, 2018, 11:51:06 PM
Cleveland Indians to drop their Chief Wahoo logo.  I think it's a good thing because far from honoring Native Americans, the leering big-nosed red-faced caricature is simply offensive.  I could accept it if it were a more dignified logo. The team is still retaining the name "Indians." Sometimes political correctness is simply correctness.

Orais, remember the Washington Bullets? I know you do, now if ever a name needed to go it was that one, that said, the Washington Redskins are iconic, they pay great respect to the native people of America and in my opinion the name should stay forever, I have tremendous respect for native Americans, one of the biggest Redskin fans ever was the leader of the Navaho people who was an avid Redskins fan, there was tremendous heat for I think Dan Snyder, the owner to change the name, the leader loved the name redskins, saw it for what it was and did not want change, and won the day, I remember saying at the time the Irish didnt get offended at the Notre Dame Logo and no one clamoured to get rid of the fighting Irish symbol, sometimes tradition matters and you should not take youself too seriously.
There are a huge number of Native Americans and Native American representative groups who find the Redskin name offensive and would like it changed. That's good enough for me. I don't think we should have a say in it.

Including the Navajo nation by the way. In April 2014, a Navajo Nation Council committee voted 9-2 in support of a bill called "Opposing the Use of Disparaging References to Native People in Professional Sports Franchises."

Of course some members of the Navajo nation, which is based largely around the South West, mainly Arizona with a bit in New Mexico and Utah, think it's a big deal about nothing, but it's not true to imply the Navajo don't have a problem with this because their president sat wearing a redskins cap at a Cardinals game. I don't think there is any proof that he is a redskins fan at all to be honest, I think he was just doing 'business'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790494/washington-redskins-owner-sits-navajo-nation-president-game-against-arizona-cardinals-latest-attempt-defend-team-s-racist-name.html
Yep, according to that article that Navajo leader,  Ben Shelly, was unpopular and on his way out. You'd have to think he was getting paid. Pretty grubby publicity stunt.

stew

Quote from: Asal Mor on January 31, 2018, 10:14:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 31, 2018, 09:51:31 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on January 31, 2018, 05:17:28 AM
Quote from: stew on January 31, 2018, 12:44:51 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on January 29, 2018, 11:51:06 PM
Cleveland Indians to drop their Chief Wahoo logo.  I think it's a good thing because far from honoring Native Americans, the leering big-nosed red-faced caricature is simply offensive.  I could accept it if it were a more dignified logo. The team is still retaining the name "Indians." Sometimes political correctness is simply correctness.

Orais, remember the Washington Bullets? I know you do, now if ever a name needed to go it was that one, that said, the Washington Redskins are iconic, they pay great respect to the native people of America and in my opinion the name should stay forever, I have tremendous respect for native Americans, one of the biggest Redskin fans ever was the leader of the Navaho people who was an avid Redskins fan, there was tremendous heat for I think Dan Snyder, the owner to change the name, the leader loved the name redskins, saw it for what it was and did not want change, and won the day, I remember saying at the time the Irish didnt get offended at the Notre Dame Logo and no one clamoured to get rid of the fighting Irish symbol, sometimes tradition matters and you should not take youself too seriously.
There are a huge number of Native Americans and Native American representative groups who find the Redskin name offensive and would like it changed. That's good enough for me. I don't think we should have a say in it.

Including the Navajo nation by the way. In April 2014, a Navajo Nation Council committee voted 9-2 in support of a bill called "Opposing the Use of Disparaging References to Native People in Professional Sports Franchises."

Of course some members of the Navajo nation, which is based largely around the South West, mainly Arizona with a bit in New Mexico and Utah, think it's a big deal about nothing, but it's not true to imply the Navajo don't have a problem with this because their president sat wearing a redskins cap at a Cardinals game. I don't think there is any proof that he is a redskins fan at all to be honest, I think he was just doing 'business'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2790494/washington-redskins-owner-sits-navajo-nation-president-game-against-arizona-cardinals-latest-attempt-defend-team-s-racist-name.html
Yep, according to that article that Navajo leader,  Ben Shelly, was unpopular and on his way out. You'd have to think he was getting paid. Pretty grubby publicity stunt.

That is utter bullshit! The man was a lifelong Redskins fan, you have him getting paid for his opinion and then say it was a 'pretty grubby publicity stunt' Based on what exactly?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 31, 2018, 04:59:57 AM
Stew, I have deliberately chosen not to respond to your posts for a long time because it's like throwing a match into a powder keg. This time, I attempted to calmly explain what's offensive to me about the Chief Wahoo logo. Do you think that the logo is complimentary to Native Americans?  What about the red skin? Isn't it a little like when whites in vaudeville mocked blacks by wearing blackface? Do you think that's OK? What about the big hooked nose? And don't you agree that the leering grin makes Native Americans look clownish and imbecilic? I pointed out that the Indians organization is seeking the aid of Native American artists to design a more suitable logo. Does that bother you? I asked you to consider if Notre Dame had chosen a stereotypical image of the stock Irishman, like the ones common at the time of Irish post-famine immigration. Would that trouble you?  Instead of responding to these ideas, you launch into a litany of straw man arguments about gender, and Confederate states, and what not. I don't know when or how I teed you off to warrant such a downpour of vitriol. I remember a time when you were warm and generous, admirable in your dealings with board members. I don't know what happened to you in Milwaukee to change that, but I'm sorry that it happened.  I'll leave it on an area of common ground--let's beat Westmeath.

When did you develop this aversion to the term 'Washington Redskins' and when did you first state publically your dislike of the name?

You used the word 'Nigger' as if the name Washington Redskins is as offensive as a fictional team named the 'Nashville Nigger' And you were calm when you wrote that, really? Somehow I doubt that. Your use of the word 'Nigger'  set me off because I was upset that you would equate the Washington Redskins as having a name just as repugnant and awful as the word Nigger! To me, if that was the case it was disgusting of you tpo do so, if I picked that up wrong I am sorry!

I never lived in Milwaukee in my life so I have no idea what you are on about as nothing happened in Milwaukee or anywhere else.

Asal Mor

That stunt was a few months after the Navajo council had voted 9 - 2 to oppose the name and Sherry was certainly benefitting financially from his relationship with Snyder. He had previous in the fraud and corruption departments too. . .
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/deadspin.com/disgraced-soon-to-be-former-navajo-nation-president-at-1645509844/amp

Therealdonald

Quote from: stew on January 31, 2018, 11:34:48 PM
Stew, I have deliberately chosen not to respond to your posts for a long time because it's like throwing a match into a powder keg. This time, I attempted to calmly explain what's offensive to me about the Chief Wahoo logo. Do you think that the logo is complimentary to Native Americans?  What about the red skin? Isn't it a little like when whites in vaudeville mocked blacks by wearing blackface? Do you think that's OK? What about the big hooked nose? And don't you agree that the leering grin makes Native Americans look clownish and imbecilic? I pointed out that the Indians organization is seeking the aid of Native American artists to design a more suitable logo. Does that bother you? I asked you to consider if Notre Dame had chosen a stereotypical image of the stock Irishman, like the ones common at the time of Irish post-famine immigration. Would that trouble you?  Instead of responding to these ideas, you launch into a litany of straw man arguments about gender, and Confederate states, and what not. I don't know when or how I teed you off to warrant such a downpour of vitriol. I remember a time when you were warm and generous, admirable in your dealings with board members. I don't know what happened to you in Milwaukee to change that, but I'm sorry that it happened.  I'll leave it on an area of common ground--let's beat Westmeath.

When did you develop this aversion to the term 'Washington Redskins' and when did you first state publically your dislike of the name?

You used the word 'Nigger' as if the name Washington Redskins is as offensive as a fictional team named the 'Nashville Nigger' And you were calm when you wrote that, really? Somehow I doubt that. Your use of the word 'Nigger'  set me off because I was upset that you would equate the Washington Redskins as having a name just as repugnant and awful as the word Nigger! To me, if that was the case it was disgusting of you tpo do so, if I picked that up wrong I am sorry!

I never lived in Milwaukee in my life so I have no idea what you are on about as nothing happened in Milwaukee or anywhere else.

Ah now Stew, come on. The Redskins is an offensive name. The Nashville teamname is as offensive as the Redskins. You're in denial if you think otherwise.

stew

Quote from: Therealdonald on February 01, 2018, 12:08:30 AM

Ah now Stew, come on. The Redskins is an offensive name. The Nashville teamname is as offensive as the Redskins. You're in denial if you think otherwise.

And you are?????

Nice try kid!

Oraisteach

Stew, historically whites have used physical attributes in a pejorative, demeaning way to denigrate various ethnic groups. I think in terms of words like "Chinks", "Slants", "Wetbacks" and so on. The meaning of the word "nigger" is "black-skinned", of course, a term coined by the superior to denote the inferior. The same is true of the word "redskin". It is derogatory and contemptuous, and that's why I think it needs to go.

But back to the Indians logo. When I first moved to Cleveland, I believed that the mascot was chosen to honor the first recognized Native American in the Major Leagues, Louis Sockalexis, but I now know that to be untrue. But if it were, and I ask again, do you believe that the Indians' mascot demonstrates admiration, or is it a source of laughter.  I wish you'd answer the questions about it that I pose. Do you think the exaggerated hooked nose reflects respect? Do you think the huge leering grin is a sign of honor, or is it a mocking jibe at Indians' buffoonery? Or the red skin, given my earlier comments about physical attributes?

You ask me when I first started to dislike the name "Redskins." I honestly don't know. I think it evolved over time as I developed a deeper awareness of what Native peoples endured at the hands of white colonists, when I read about the Trail of Tears and read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. I no longer found the stock images either amusing or likeable. In the same way, I grew up in Armagh playing "tig", chanting the rhyme "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo,/Catch a Nigger By the Toe." However, once I developed a full awareness of what was done to black people--slavery, lynchings, Jim Crow laws--I found the word vile and repugnant.

My feeling about Chief Wahoo is that it is the single most objectionable image in professional sports, and I'm happy that the club has opted to remove it from the team uniform.

Therealdonald

Quote from: stew on February 01, 2018, 01:34:03 AM
Quote from: Therealdonald on February 01, 2018, 12:08:30 AM

And you are?????

Nice try kid!

Nice try for what Stew? And who exactly are you? I'd safely say I've achieved a hell of a lot more in life than you have but I don't exactly try and belittle those who disagree with me. w**k€$tain

Minder

See ESPN reporting Le Bron Open to joining GSW next season if they can clear cap space. What would be the point for the rest of the NBA? Was he not crying about GSW creating a "super team" when Durant signed ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"