American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: stew on January 04, 2018, 10:09:59 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 02, 2018, 12:01:56 PM
Stew will be glad to hear Ted Thompson is no longer Packers GM

Wolf Jnr groomed for this role for quite a while, anybody but a Browns GM will be better than right said Ted.

Wolf Jr away to the Browns
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stringbean

Agree with your points about the selection committee - ultimately their job is to select the 4 best teams in the country - how they tend to try justify this is beyond comprehension at times!!

As for college vs the pros - I tend to enjoy both as their own individual sports. College is great and agree with the point around tradition and the unpredictability of it. The regular season is fantastic however for me the whole bowl season is a bit of a nonsense!! Apart from the 4 team playoff, only the odd bowl game that is watchable - that means in a competition with 129 teams - only 4 have a proper postseason!

stew

Quote from: Minder on January 10, 2018, 05:53:37 PM
Quote from: stew on January 04, 2018, 10:09:59 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 02, 2018, 12:01:56 PM
Stew will be glad to hear Ted Thompson is no longer Packers GM

Wolf Jnr groomed for this role for quite a while, anybody but a Browns GM will be better than right said Ted.

Wolf Jr away to the Browns

Really, good luck to him, he is a good un, I hope he does well, he was the hot favourite for the packers gig but your man that got it blew the roof off in the interviews.

I would love to see the Browns have a decent season next fall, Wolf, if he is Half the man Ron was in the role will be brilliant.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Therealdonald

What possesses any man to take a post with the Browns???

stew

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 10, 2018, 10:46:58 PM

The chance to be the first man in history to take them to the promised land...................... A division title. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Therealdonald

Quote from: stew on January 10, 2018, 11:23:49 PM

The chance to be the first man in history to take them to the promised land...................... A division title. )

Its like a sustained period of ineptitude. I think Wolf has watched Draft Day too many times. You reckon they'll take a QB with No.1?

Oraisteach

Stew, I know we're bad, but the Browns have won Divisional titles and 4 NFL ones, albeit aeons ago.

Oraisteach

Report out there saying Kirk Cousins would seriously consider playing for the Browns. Must be a ploy to get Washington to pay him!

Minder

Passed over for the GM job in Green Bay, blocked even applying for several other GM posts in the last few years. You can hardly blame him for jumping ship. Alonzo Highsmith, another Packers executive has also moved to the Browns, who are actually in a position to do something with the front office people they have hired in the last few weeks, alongside new GM John Dorsey. They have huge draft capital and plenty of cap space. Whether they do or not is another thing.

magpie seanie

I think the Browns is a great opportunity for anyone with a bit of belief in themselves. They need a QB obviously but have loads of draft capital and cap space as mentioned above. They have a really nice receiving corps. I'd be tempted if I were them to get a proven NFL QB in free agency (like Cousins) and target other positions in the draft. Make sure whoever the QB is that he's protected and given time to deliver.

There's no way this team is as bad as their record over the last 2 seasons looks. Hue Jackson is a problem though, don't think he has what it takes to be a head coach. Decent RB coach maybe.

Syferus

It would make no sense that a team as bad as the Browns, owning the first pick, would even be in the Cousins market. Not unless they think Rosen. Allen, Darnold and even Mayfield are totally useless. Even Lamar Jackson being developed under Hue Jackson would be more attractive to my eyes. Sinking so much cap space at QB when rebuilding doesn't fly with me.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 10:19:58 AM
It would make no sense that a team as bad as the Browns, owning the first pick, would even be in the Cousins market. Not unless they think Rosen. Allen, Darnold and even Mayfield are totally useless. Even Lamar Jackson being developed under Hue Jackson would be more attractive to my eyes. Sinking so much cap space at QB when rebuilding doesn’t fly with me.
I think it would make some sense. Not saying it will happen but Cousins is only 29 and is a better QB day one than any of the college QB's. He's thrown for over 4000 yards with a better than 2:1 TD/INT ratio this past 3 years.
If it were up to me I'd probably take a QB at 1, Barkley at 4 if he's still there (if not take a RB in 2nd round) and then spend their money on defense, similar to what Jacksonville have done.

Minder

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 11, 2018, 10:29:02 AM
It would make no sense that a team as bad as the Browns, owning the first pick, would even be in the Cousins market. Not unless they think Rosen. Allen, Darnold and even Mayfield are totally useless. Even Lamar Jackson being developed under Hue Jackson would be more attractive to my eyes. Sinking so much cap space at QB when rebuilding doesn't fly with me.
I think it would make some sense. Not saying it will happen but Cousins is only 29 and is a better QB day one than any of the college QB's. He's thrown for over 4000 yards with a better than 2:1 TD/INT ratio this past 3 years.
If it were up to me I'd probably take a QB at 1, Barkley at 4 if he's still there (if not take a RB in 2nd round) and then spend their money on defense, similar to what Jacksonville have done.

Cousins is underrated in my opinion, he has had absolutely no weapons so his numbers are pretty good when you look with what he has had to work with.

Syferus

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 11, 2018, 10:29:02 AM

I don't doubt he's good but when you're 1-31 over the last two seasons you're not exactly primed for a playoff push. A cap friendly franchise QB that you can get five cheap years out of seems the smart play. It's not like they have to spend any more of their picks to move up in the draft. They can choose the best QB of one of the best draft classes in a long time.

magpie seanie

Spending money in free agency wisely is what a lot of the top achieving teams are doing. I think Cousins alone would transform that offence.....would be the first time he had decent weapons at his disposal. I know Crowell isn't great but he's just about adequate. Gordon and Coleman are genuine playmakers as is Duke Johnson and I like the look of Njoku. There's no reason why the Browns couldn't pick up 6 wins next season.