American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on October 31, 2017, 11:30:23 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 31, 2017, 10:43:46 PM
Kelvin Benjamin to Bills, great pick up for them

They're going for it. Difficult to understand the Carolina rationale...

I don't get what the Bills management are at. They spent the off-season depleting their talent and now because it turned out Taylor really is a decent QB and has helped them into a good record they're changing course mid-stream. They fùcked up somewhere along the line whatever way you look at it.

gallsman

Regardless, they're doing the right thing now wouldn't you say?

Oraisteach

The first official CFP rankings are out:

1. Georgia 8-0
2. Alabama 8-0
3. Notre Dame 7-1
4. Clemson 7-1
5. Oklahoma 7-1
6. Ohio State 7-1
7. Penn State 7-1
8. TCU 7-2
9. Wisconsin 8-0
10. Miami 7-0

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on October 31, 2017, 11:34:23 PM
Regardless, they're doing the right thing now wouldn't you say?

I suppose, but they were all about building for the future for the last six months and have now thrown two picks at a WR that's less talented than they one they shipped in the off-season, albeit bigger.

Do the Bills suddenly believe in Taylor now? If so it would be some aboutface.

Oraisteach

Georgia over Alabama?  From what I've seen, Bama is the better team.  The Ohio State defeat to Oklahoma was devastating.  I think if they played today, the Buckeyes would win, but head-to-head match-ups clearly weigh heavily.  Notre Dame's inclusion in top 4 will wreak havoc on three of the power conferences. 

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on November 01, 2017, 12:15:40 AM
Georgia over Alabama?  From what I've seen, Bama is the better team.  The Ohio State defeat to Oklahoma was devastating.  I think if they played today, the Buckeyes would win, but head-to-head match-ups clearly weigh heavily.  Notre Dame's inclusion in top 4 will wreak havoc on three of the power conferences.

I dunno what planet the committee are on putting Georgia over the Tide. Maybe just a reason to grab a headline in a few weeks when they change the number one ranked team. Both #1 and #2 have to visit Jordan-Hare this month in their toughest ties before a possible meeting in the SEC title game. It would be nice to think Auburn can throw a wrench or two in the works.

Gabriel_Hurl

Possibly just because Georgia have beaten two top-25 teams and Alabama have only beaten one (the now 2-5 FSU)

Hard to know with these polls

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 31, 2017, 11:34:29 PM
The first official CFP rankings are out:

1. Georgia 8-0
2. Alabama 8-0
3. Notre Dame 7-1
4. Clemson 7-1
5. Oklahoma 7-1
6. Ohio State 7-1
7. Penn State 7-1
8. TCU 7-2
9. Wisconsin 8-0
10. Miami 7-0

TCU ahead of Wisconsin, who have not lost and they have lost twice??? WTF?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

omaghjoe

I'm hopping on Los Doyers bandwagon these days.
Christ but watching beisbol has an uncanny knack of sucking out any excitement you build up for it

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 01, 2017, 05:21:29 AM
I'm hopping on Los Doyers bandwagon these days.
Christ but watching beisbol has an uncanny knack of sucking out any excitement you build up for it

Game 5 didn't!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on November 01, 2017, 12:42:54 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on November 01, 2017, 12:15:40 AM

I dunno what planet the committee are on putting Georgia over the Tide. Maybe just a reason to grab a headline in a few weeks when they change the number one ranked team. Both #1 and #2 have to visit Jordan-Hare this month in their toughest ties before a possible meeting in the SEC title game. It would be nice to think Auburn can throw a wrench or two in the works.

Makes no odds. They are just giving Georgia the nod because they beat Notre Dame away and have a better non conference schedule than Bama, who beat a dire Florida State team, as it turned out.

Means nothing in the big picture because unless Georgia beat Alabama in Atlanta, they will not be ahead of them in the final ranking. Good news for Notre Dame, but only if they go all the way unbeaten from here on out, and that won't be easy.

If Georgia have a big season, and run Bama close, then you'd think they are one of the top 4 teams in the country. Imagine this....

Alabama wins out, they are #1
Who is 2,3 and 4 if the following happens.
Georgia win out apart from a close loss to Bama
Clemson win out and win ACC
Notre Dame win out
Oklahoma wins out, wins big 12 and beats Ohio State in the horseshoe
Ohio State wins out, only loss to Oklahoma

Who gets in?  Does Notre Dame get screwed because of conference championships, even if the only loss is to Georgia by 1 point (albeit at home). Does Oklahoma get jobbed, despite beating Ohio State? Does Clemson get left out?

Muck Savage

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 01, 2017, 11:08:51 AM

If Georgia have a big season, and run Bama close, then you'd think they are one of the top 4 teams in the country. Imagine this....

Notre Dame win out

Who gets in?  Does Notre Dame get screwed because of conference championships, even if the only loss is to Georgia by 1 point (albeit at home). Does Oklahoma get jobbed, despite beating Ohio State? Does Clemson get left out?

IF (and a big IF) this were to happen I don't think Clemson's run in is strong enough to see them over the line so I think they are left out. Given where the teams stand now then Oklahoma get the nod over Ohio state given the strength of schedule left is more difficult.
Only question is will Georgia stay in the top 4 with a loss that late in the season. It could be seen as a playoff game so why allow them back in and take out another team. My guess is with a 1pt loss they will get in.
If ND win out they will be at 3 I would think, and maybe even sneak into No 2.

And what about Miami, if they win out they will beat No3 ND and No13 Virginia Tech in the next 2 weeks. Hard to leave them out if they do that...

Wisconsin could also run the table but be left out because of the schedule strength.

There will be a lot of twists yet, sure to be exciting.

gallsman

Astros went 5-0 up in the first and that was that. Bit of a damp squib in the end.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Muck Savage on November 01, 2017, 04:12:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 01, 2017, 11:08:51 AM

Notre Dame win out

IF (and a big IF) this were to happen I don't think Clemson's run in is strong enough to see them over the line so I think they are left out. Given where the teams stand now then Oklahoma get the nod over Ohio state given the strength of schedule left is more difficult.
Only question is will Georgia stay in the top 4 with a loss that late in the season. It could be seen as a playoff game so why allow them back in and take out another team. My guess is with a 1pt loss they will get in.
If ND win out they will be at 3 I would think, and maybe even sneak into No 2.

And what about Miami, if they win out they will beat No3 ND and No13 Virginia Tech in the next 2 weeks. Hard to leave them out if they do that...

Wisconsin could also run the table but be left out because of the schedule strength.

There will be a lot of twists yet, sure to be exciting.

Ah yeah, if Miami win out they'll have to be in. They'll have also probably beaten Clemson in the ACC game.

As for the Badgers, yeah, even if they win out, and beat Ohio State in the Big 10 game, if Oklahoma win out, they'll also have beaten Ohio State, in Columbus, and have much better wins.

However, it's very likely none of the above will happen, which will bring even more carnage :)

Syferus

There needs to be an eight team playoff ASAP. This system has only marginally improved the old one.