American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Up The Middle on February 06, 2017, 12:53:56 PM
Why are the Patriots disliked so much? Is it just the fact that they have won so much? Or am I missing something here?

That and the cheating.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2017, 01:12:06 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 06, 2017, 01:08:08 PM
I watched till just after HT thinking this is done, couldn't believe it when I woke up, can someone elaborate on the messed up playcalls by the Falcons? thanks

Jones made a great play to get them to the 22 yard line with a couple of minutes left, and instead of playing conservatively and ensuring they held field position, they go to pass play, Ryan doesn't get rid of the ball and they take a sack to lose 12 yards. Then a penalty right after. A field goal there and then and its 31-20.

Also, how the hell do you end up with ZERO time outs when you get the ball with 50 seconds left to try to get to field goal position and you've been well ahead most of the game?
Poor game management cost them BIG. This one will hurt for a long, long time.

magpie seanie

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 06, 2017, 01:05:07 PM
Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 01:02:15 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on February 06, 2017, 12:53:56 PM
Why are the Patriots disliked so much? Is it just the fact that they have won so much? Or am I missing something here?

They cheat.............a lot

Exactly
Remember the deflated football
Saga
Brady was well aware of it

He got rid of the evidence.

Also spygate a few years before and the usual hotel alarms going off at 3am.

AZOffaly

Unreal game, but a couple of key, key moments.

1 - Brady came within a gnat's ass of throwing another pick when his hand was hit and the ball fluttered about 10 yards. It looked like another pick, and probably a pick six, but Bennett managed to snare it and get a first down out of it, that was huge.

2 - That unbelievable catch by Edelman, again, probably an interception was more likely, but Edelman somehow managed to keep his eyes on it, and keep it off the ground.

3 - The Falcons imploded on their last drive. They looked smooth moving back up the field after the Pats got it back to 8, and I was very impressed with Ryan's poise. That catch by Jones on the sideline deserved to win a superbowl on its own. But for Ryan to take a sack was criminal, and then for Jake Matthews to hold, pushing them out of field goal range was basically their last chance.

The Falcons D was absolutely out on its feet. It was fast, it was young, it was eager, and when it was getting pressure on Brady, he looked anything but the GOAT. The right guard, and especially the right tackle (Cannon?) were being beaten like drums. But the Patriots just kept on keeping on, and as the Falcons tired, and as the time of possession went more and more into the Patriots favour, the protection started to be better, and Brady then started throwing lasers. He made a throw to Kevin Hogan for a first down, probably on their own 25 or so, and it was unreal. In the circumstances there was absolutely no margin for error by the Pats, and to make that throw just took supreme guts, and that is why people call him the GOAT.

Coleman going out was a big blow for Atlanta, but to be honest the Patriots stopped the Falcons dominating on offense, not by any magical defensive game plan. They were hanging on by their fingernails at times. It's impossible to stop that offense completely, too many weapons, but they held the ball. They took a 7 minute drive to get their 1st Touchdown I believe, and everyone was saying it was taking too long, but the Pats were playing the long game, and they knew that if they could keep the Falcons O off the field, they might cool down (1 hour between plays either side of half time), and it would also wear down the defense.

I'm not a Patriots fan, far from it. And I love Joe Montana, but you just have to tip your cap to the Patriots. They are so unglamourous, but they are so efficient, and such competitors.

And to be honest I have to say I was delighted to see Goodell so sickened at the end. He couldn't get out of there fast enough.

So well done Pats, fantastic achievement, and roll on 2017/18 season. Go Cards!!!!

AZOffaly

I watched till just after HT thinking this is done, couldn't believe it when I woke up, can someone elaborate on the messed up playcalls by the Falcons? thanks

Jones made a great play to get them to the 22 yard line with a couple of minutes left, and instead of playing conservatively and ensuring they held field position, they go to pass play, Ryan doesn't get rid of the ball and they take a sack to lose 12 yards. Then a penalty right after. A field goal there and then and its 31-20.

Also, how the hell do you end up with ZERO time outs when you get the ball with 50 seconds left to try to get to field goal position and you've been well ahead most of the game?

In fairness there, the last timeout was due to injury I think. An offensive tackle went down.

whitey

I have to say that watching the Patriots haters eating crow was the most satisfying part of the night

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2017, 01:24:02 PM

In fairness there, the last timeout was due to injury I think. An offensive tackle went down.
One would have been the challenge on the Edelman catch too. They were praising the Falcons earlier in the game on the BBC for their philosophy of never playing safe on offence, always going for it regardless of the circumstance. Whatever about the Falcons, what the Patriots did was incredible and it was an unbelievable night's entertainment.

David McKeown

Some of the play calling was awful without doubt, particularly the insistence on throwing the ball when up two scores resulting in the crucial fumble by Ryan.

That said take nothing away from the Patriots, some of their plays in the fourth quarter were unreal, particularly Edelman's catch.  They still had to win the game, its not like the Falcons coughed up scores to the Patriots D.

After the Seattle win a few years ago I thought the debate about Brady being the GOAT was over,  at least for me anyway, if it wasn't it sure is now. A truly remarkable performer in the modern era.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Taylor

What price were Pats at HT?

Heard someone say they were 5/1? Short price to overcome such a deficit if true

Minder

Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 04:16:31 PM
What price were Pats at HT?

Heard someone say they were 5/1? Short price to overcome such a deficit if true

They where 9/2 when they went 21-0 down, I backed them at 9/4 when they went 14-0 down
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Taylor

Ridiculously price but then shows that not many bookmakers were surprised Brady could come back

Minder

Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 04:31:06 PM
Ridiculously price but then shows that not many bookmakers were surprised Brady could come back
m

Yeah I was expecting bigger than 9/2 so didn't bother
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

They were 11/1 at points in the 4th quarter

heganboy

lost the challenge on the edelman catch, that was the loss of the last time out.
Play calling as soon as the Falcons got to field goal territory was crazy. Surely using the clock as much as possible and controlling the ball would have been the risk management move?
Not taking a knee on the kick off was bizarre.
there were a few others.
I did laugh at all the NY fans bitching that the winning TD should not have been given as the knee was down...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: heganboy on February 06, 2017, 07:00:52 PM
lost the challenge on the edelman catch, that was the loss of the last time out.
Play calling as soon as the Falcons got to field goal territory was crazy. Surely using the clock as much as possible and controlling the ball would have been the risk management move?
Not taking a knee on the kick off was bizarre.
there were a few others.
I did laugh at all the NY fans bitching that the winning TD should not have been given as the knee was down...

I am astonished at what BB and Brady have done inn the free agency era, who knows, they might win another couple yet, Brady thinks he can go to he's about fifty.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.