American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Skip Bayless declaring the Falcons champions is difficult not to enjoy. I hate that p***k. He said Brady would have had 500 yards of it wasn't for "drops". Let's be honest, in the first half he was constantly over throwing lads. He went supersonic in second half - is that enough to win MVP?

Saw a great quote from Hightower about his forced fumble. "I saw Matt Ryan with the ball in his hands, I wanted it so I hit him and took it". A simple game sometimes!

Taylor

Whao - go Pats.

GOAT QB & Coach bar none.

Falcons D just ran out of gas and no better man than TB to take advantage.

magpie seanie

Gutted for the Falcons but as was said time and time again before the game they needed to get pressure on Brady up the middle. They managed this for the guts of 3 quarters but the amount of time the Atlanta defence was out on the field told in the end and it was clear when the Patriots won the coin toss there was only going to be one winner.

I cannot stand the Patriots but they deserve huge credit. So many little things they did that no one else does. Even their kickoffs and coverage. They refused to give Atlanta 25 free yards in the second half when chasing the game and Goskowski's kickoffs and the coverage were brilliant. Even the failed onside attempt was excellent and a much better attempt than most sides use. And Brady - well if he gets time and space he will kill you....and in the end he did. However, they were ably assisted by some disastrous play calling by Kyle Shanahan and co who really cut their own throats. I said to a few of my mate at half time - if the Falcons get 10/14 points (which looked a pretty conservative estimate) then it's over. That's all they needed and they botched it. They will rue this for a long, long time.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 06, 2017, 09:06:39 AM
Gutted for the Falcons but as was said time and time again before the game they needed to get pressure on Brady up the middle. They managed this for the guts of 3 quarters but the amount of time the Atlanta defence was out on the field told in the end and it was clear when the Patriots won the coin toss there was only going to be one winner.

I cannot stand the Patriots but they deserve huge credit. So many little things they did that no one else does. Even their kickoffs and coverage. They refused to give Atlanta 25 free yards in the second half when chasing the game and Goskowski's kickoffs and the coverage were brilliant. Even the failed onside attempt was excellent and a much better attempt than most sides use. And Brady - well if he gets time and space he will kill you....and in the end he did. However, they were ably assisted by some disastrous play calling by Kyle Shanahan and co who really cut their own throats. I said to a few of my mate at half time - if the Falcons get 10/14 points (which looked a pretty conservative estimate) then it's over. That's all they needed and they botched it. They will rue this for a long, long time.

Brady was poor in the first half, sublime in the second, the hoodie had two weeks to prepare and did a far better job in that regard than his counterpart.

Playcalling is incredibly important, Green Bay should have three super bowls with Rodgers but the Playcalling is atrocious in Green Bay, the Falcons were horrendous in this discipline in the second half, watching them line up you could tell what was coming ffs.

I know New England is hated in here, I have been a fan since the Flutie days, should I love to be a hundred I will never watch greatness from any NFL team that comes back from 25 points down and wins a superbowl.

Brady is the best of all time, behind him you have Montana, Rodgers, Favre, Manning and Elway, behind them Marino, some company to keep but make no mistake, Brady is the greatest of them all.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Two Superbowls in three years gifted to the Patriots on the back of an idiotic call to throw instead of run. Take that field goal to make it 31-20 and it's all over with just over 2 minutes left.

But, hateful c***ts though they are, Brady and Bellichick are just incredible competitors and fair fucks to them. They'd no right to even think of winning that game, but they pulled it out.

magpie seanie

Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2017, 10:36:48 AM
Two Superbowls in three years gifted to the Patriots on the back of an idiotic call to throw instead of run. Take that field goal to make it 31-20 and it's all over with just over 2 minutes left.

But, hateful c***ts though they are, Brady and Bellichick are just incredible competitors and fair f**ks to them. They'd no right to even think of winning that game, but they pulled it out.

Absolutely. Terrible, terrible stuff but much and all as I dislike them the Patriots had to be there to benefit and the scraped and scratched their way back from the dead to give themselves a chance. Many would have folded.

Taylor

The plays called by the Falcons when they were in front really was astounding at that level.

Big game pressure must do something to make them call daft/silly plays - you would think with so many advisors around there would be one cool or wise head to just take stock of things?

Suppose this is where Bill & Tom differ

Wildweasel74

I like brady just like i liked payton manning! But this go down as a game the falcons lost! Played delaying tactics to eat the clock instead of going out and play their game! The f**k up within field goal distance which would have finished the game is unforgiveable and lies with the sideline call!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 11:05:10 AM
The plays called by the Falcons when they were in front really was astounding at that level.

Big game pressure must do something to make them call daft/silly plays - you would think with so many advisors around there would be one cool or wise head to just take stock of things?

Suppose this is where Bill & Tom differ

Falcons blew it big time
A big lead is great but they showed inexperience on how to close out the game and run the clock down
Brady and his team smelled blood and went for it
I don't really like him but boy he got his arm working in the last quarter and his teammates responded
One of the best performances I ever seen on any field across all
Sports   
Still it was more down to the falcons collapse and bad calls when the pressure came
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Up The Middle

Why are the Patriots disliked so much? Is it just the fact that they have won so much? Or am I missing something here?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Taylor

Quote from: Up The Middle on February 06, 2017, 12:53:56 PM
Why are the Patriots disliked so much? Is it just the fact that they have won so much? Or am I missing something here?

They cheat.............a lot

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 01:02:15 PM

Exactly
Remember the deflated football
Saga
Brady was well aware of it
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

SLIGONIAN

I watched till just after HT thinking this is done, couldn't believe it when I woke up, can someone elaborate on the messed up playcalls by the Falcons? thanks
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

J70

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 06, 2017, 01:08:08 PM
I watched till just after HT thinking this is done, couldn't believe it when I woke up, can someone elaborate on the messed up playcalls by the Falcons? thanks

Jones made a great play to get them to the 22 yard line with a couple of minutes left, and instead of playing conservatively and ensuring they held field position, they go to pass play, Ryan doesn't get rid of the ball and they take a sack to lose 12 yards. Then a penalty right after. A field goal there and then and its 31-20.

Also, how the hell do you end up with ZERO time outs when you get the ball with 50 seconds left to try to get to field goal position and you've been well ahead most of the game?

redhandofgod

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 06, 2017, 01:05:07 PM
Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 01:02:15 PM

Exactly

Winners WIN and losers they complain alot
Remember the deflated football
Saga
Brady was well aware of it