American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 19, 2017, 05:15:00 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2017, 11:14:24 AM
The main men couldn't handle him at all. He seems very abrasive, and as Syf says, his schtick seems to wear on players quite quickly as well. In San Francisco though, I think he was getting the road no matter whether he won or lost because basically the front office were sick of him. At Michigan, not so much, as he has reinvented himself as a cheerleader and a mobile advert for the Wolverines, so they seem happy with him so far.
who said that? 😉

Sorry, I can't tell ye apart :) Cantankerous yokes, the pair of ye.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on January 19, 2017, 01:22:52 PM
Word out of Green Bay is that Rodgers has a sprained wrist, right wrist.

here's an obvious comment that others might make, I couldn't possibly comment!  ;D

J70

Anyone here into the baseball?

Bonds and Clemens miss out on the Hall of Fame again due to their steroid issues, despite rumours that they'd make it this time.

Curt Schilling misses out because he is a loudmouth moron who said, among other things, that baseball journalists should be lynched!

Now I can't stand the guy, not because he is conservative, but because he is as dumb as a bag of hammers and spews ridiculous, incoherent, bigoted, inflammatory nonsense. That said, shouldn't it be his exploits ON the field by which he is judged in these things?

By all accounts he was one of the best play-off pitchers ever, outspoken against drug use as a player, and not in any way under suspicion for having corrupted the game itself. That he is a sorry excuse for a human being shouldn't come into it, especially given the checkered private lives of many already voted in.

gallsman

Seanie will love that. When he had the gimpy calf a couple fo years ago and was able to limp his way to a scrambled first down, he saw it as proof that Rodgers was really jsut a big attention seeking knob.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on January 19, 2017, 02:21:16 PM

Bonds and Clemens miss out on the Hall of Fame again due to their steroid issues, despite rumours that they'd make it this time.

Curt Schilling misses out because he is a loudmouth moron who said, among other things, that baseball journalists should be lynched!

Now I can't stand the guy, not because he is conservative, but because he is as dumb as a bag of hammers and spews ridiculous, incoherent, bigoted, inflammatory nonsense. That said, shouldn't it be his exploits ON the field by which he is judged in these things?

By all accounts he was one of the best play-off pitchers ever, outspoken against drug use as a player, and not in any way under suspicion for having corrupted the game itself. That he is a sorry excuse for a human being shouldn't come into it, especially given the checkered private lives of many already voted in.

If it were just what happened on the field of play, Pete Rose should be in. In Schilling's case, he may just not be hall of fame worthy, especially with all the other baggage.

As for Bonds and Clements, it's a hard one. I'm not a bit sorry for them, with their drug history, but I'm sure there's others in Cooperstown who are there with the help of a chemistry set or two. Maybe they should just build a wing for the 90s and 00s, and put a big Asterix beside all their names, and call it the 'Drug Years' wing. Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Clements, A Rod and a pile more could be in there. Wouldn't be their first bust anyway.

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2017, 02:33:45 PM

Seanie will love that. When he had the gimpy calf a couple fo years ago and was able to limp his way to a scrambled first down, he saw it as proof that Rodgers was really jsut a big attention seeking knob.

Especially when he only seemed to remember in between plays that he was injured.

Syferus

Anyone Seanie doesn't like tends to be pretty good anyways.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2017, 03:09:46 PM
Anyone Seanie doesn't like tends to be pretty good anyways.

Especially if they happen to play in the NFC North.  :)

heganboy

the Raiders just filed for a move to Vegas...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minder

Quote from: heganboy on January 19, 2017, 10:34:19 PM
the Raiders just filed for a move to Vegas...

A lot of road fans at Raiders games  ;D
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cadhlancian

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2017, 02:47:12 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 19, 2017, 02:21:16 PM

If it were just what happened on the field of play, Pete Rose should be in. In Schilling's case, he may just not be hall of fame worthy, especially with all the other baggage.

As for Bonds and Clements, it's a hard one. I'm not a bit sorry for them, with their drug history, but I'm sure there's others in Cooperstown who are there with the help of a chemistry set or two. Maybe they should just build a wing for the 90s and 00s, and put a big Asterix beside all their names, and call it the 'Drug Years' wing. Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Clements, A Rod and a pile more could be in there. Wouldn't be their first bust anyway.
so you don't have an opposition to Pudge Rodriquez getting in? A great catcher, named in Cansecos book and without a doubt a known steroid user. He gets in first ballot ??
Bonds was a better player....

AZOffaly

Where did I say I hadn't a problem? I'd have no problem if they were all left out. In fact I said 'but I'm sure there are others in Cooperstown....'

J70

But the issue with Rose is that he was betting on games, including games he was playing or managing in. That is potentially influencing results.

Schilling is a moron, but there are no questions about his conduct with respect to the integrity of the sport.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on January 20, 2017, 10:46:06 AM
But the issue with Rose is that he was betting on games, including games he was playing or managing in. That is potentially influencing results.

Schilling is a moron, but there are no questions about his conduct with respect to the integrity of the sport.

I understand all that, but steroid use is *definitely* influencing results.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 20, 2017, 10:46:52 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 20, 2017, 10:46:06 AM

I understand all that, but steroid use is *definitely* influencing results.

And that is why Clements and Bonds didn't make it. Rodriguez probably never will given his conduct in terms if falsely impugning the reputations of multiple people when he was in fact guilty (a bit like Lance Armstrong in that respect).