American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 09, 2017, 02:14:21 PM
How did the Giants allow a receiver like this catch that ball?

I episode say it's on Eli Apple #24, he seemed to be tracking Cobb but at the last second got attracted to the ball (with the help of a push by Cobb) Read a few places that the arc of the ball on Rodgers Hail Marys is difficult for the defenders to track, as he throws it so high.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Yeah, Apple was the closest alright, but jaysus a small receiver caught it in his belly, without it being a ricochet. That's inexcusable.

magpie seanie

There was a push that Cobb got away with and Rodgers threw it so high the ball was coming down like a punt but terrible defensive play. Maybe they lost the ball in the lights?

It's happening too frequently for it to be a complete accident though. I think the height of the throws is a factor.....DB's just not used to defending that trajectory of throw????

AZOffaly

Too frequently? How many Hail Marys into the end zone has he connected with? 

There is no excuse in a situation like that that the ball gets all the way through to the smallest man. You need someone to go up and break the ball away at least. If there was a big ruck and it rebounded into his hands I'd say something. Or even if it was a Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson type of big physical receiver.

Yeah, Rodgers seems to really have a strong arm to air it out, but I still don't think it's an excuse.

magpie seanie

It's 3 in the last couple of seasons. Not huge numbers but I don't think anyone else has two.

AZOffaly

No, true enough. I wonder what his success rate is.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 09, 2017, 03:23:40 PM
Next up is the college championship game tonight. 

Some analysis here... http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2017/1/8/14178606/if-alabama-should-fear-anyone-its-clemson

Hoping to stay up for it. It should be a good one, but I'm wary of tipping any offense to score a lot on Alabama. And if the Tide can slow Clemson down, can Clemson survive a dogfight? Last year obviously was a bit of a shootout but I'd be surprised if that happens again. For Clemson to win it may have to.

Feck it. I'll go for Clemson.

Minder

The thing with Rodgers in the pocket is especially during his relatively poor play last year and the start of this year was he was holding the ball too long waiting for receivers to get open, and more often than not they didn't gain any separation, so Rodgers will take the sack.

Adams in particular is getting balls thrown to him that he wasn't last year, as Rodgers didn't trust him (rightly so). Last nights TD being a good example as the coverage on Adams was excellent, but Rodgers trusted himself and Adams to make the catch.

His pocket play is something to behold at the minute, if he gets the time he will find the receiver & Dallas pass rush isn't great so he should get time on Sunday. Could be a cracker.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Looking forward to the national title game  this evening. That Alabama defense is incredible and even though they won conceding 40 to Clemson last year still rankles them as if they lost. People talk about Clemson getting revenge but that defense will be out for their own. Saban made a big call dropping Kiffin like a hot potato a week before the championship game but it was probably the correct choice, Saban rarely gets calls like this wrong. Alabama as usual don't need anything incredible out of their offense to win this one. The defense is fully capable of outscoring its offense.

Unless Clemson can make this another shoot-out I don't see this ending any other way than with the Tide's fifth title in eight years and a place in history as the greatest college dynasty of all-time. And for the SEC to win the big one even in a down year will make the haters cry some especially salty tears tonight.. the stakes couldn't be any bigger.

Syferus

Not the start Clemson needed..

stew

The pack will get it tight against south americas team but if Rodgers can hit the form of the past seven weeks they will be there or thereabouts.

I would love a Pats Packers Superbowl, it would be the best two qbs going at it in peak form. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

DrinkingHarp

This is some game!!!

I took Clemson -6.5 and the over (51) on a parlay ;D
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Puckoon

Syferus

Well played Clemson. Great game.