American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Have a passing interest in the college game, why are Alabama so consistently good? Is it their recruiting, is it Saban ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on November 28, 2016, 03:32:35 PM
Have a passing interest in the college game, why are Alabama so consistently good? Is it their recruiting, is it Saban ?

They are an historic program with the likes of Bear Bryant, so they have tradition. Their location helps as they can recruit the south, and do. But they were 'down' before Saban came, and he has been unreal. He's like Belichick at college level. Talent wise the likes of LSU, USC, Oklahoma etc would be similar, but Saban has the hoodoo over them all.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 28, 2016, 03:41:19 PM
Quote from: Minder on November 28, 2016, 03:32:35 PM

They are an historic program with the likes of Bear Bryant, so they have tradition. Their location helps as they can recruit the south, and do. But they were 'down' before Saban came, and he has been unreal. He's like Belichick at college level. Talent wise the likes of LSU, USC, Oklahoma etc would be similar, but Saban has the hoodoo over them all.

UA (Tuscalosa) sucks so much atheletics money from its sister (and in many ways bigger) campus in Birmingham. UAB has a world class medical school and their budget is actually about four times that of Tuscaloosa's. Many of the pro athletes in America and around the world are sent to Birmingham for treatment, if they can afford it. Something mad like 10% of the population of the city are employed by the health system that UAB is at the core of.

UAB had to shut down its football program a few years ago when they were starting to become relevant as a bowl contender. Lots of talk of Tuscaloosa having huge sway over that call. They re-opened their football program again but it's set them back years, something that will have pleased the hawks in Tuscaloosa that are probably more afraid of UAB becoming a force than they are of any opponent on the football field.

The Tide are incredible on the field, if they win it this year they simply are the number one dynasty in college football history. But off the field it's harder to like them.

Minder

Looks like Rodgers is back to near his best

stew

Quote from: Minder on November 29, 2016, 08:33:05 AM
Looks like Rodgers is back to near his best

To little too late for Green Bay. :-\
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

College Football Rankings:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Washington
5. Michigan
6. Wisconsin
7. Penn State
8. Colorado
9. Oklahoma
10. Oklahoma State

So, with one week to go, what four teams will make the playoff? I think it's going to remain this way. If Washington loses, it will be interesting to see what the committee will do with Michigan.  Think the Buckeyes will remain in the top four.

AZOffaly

If Penn State beat Wisconsin and Washington beat Colorado, Ohio State are in bother. A non conference champion has to be unequivocally better than a champion. Given Penn State beat them, that's a hard sell. It may come down to Ohio State and Washington. Again it would be hard to say they are unequivocally better, so I think Ohio State needs to hope Wisconsin or Colorado or Va Tech wins.

Oraisteach

For some reason, the selection committee seems to think there's a big gap between Ohio State and Penn State (I do too), so I think the Nittany Lions will have to do more than just beat Wisconsin to get in.  They'll have to whup them.  Mind you, last year I thought the Buckeyes were one of the best four teams in the country (they had,  what was it, 13 NFL players, including Zeke Elliott), but the committee didnt vote them in.  So hoping for a Wisconsin win.  Can't imagine Clemson losing and think Washington should handle Colorado.

AZOffaly

But Penn State beat Ohio State. Head to head is one of the criteria. Conference Champion is another. If Penn State have both and don't get ranked higher, then the committee is going to have some explaining to do.

If Clemson, PSU and Washington all win,it's going to be very interesting. If one or more of them lose, the committee is off the hook.

Ball Hopper

AZ, remember Penn State lost to Michigan 49-10...and also lost to Pittsburgh.  Can't see them leaping over Michigan, no matter how big a win over Wisconsin.

Clemson should beat Va Tech to hold third spot.  I'm not sure about Washington beating Colorado - the game is in Santa Clara, CA so weather should not be a factor.  If Colorado win, it means Washington drop to 5 and Michigan go up to 4 and are in the playoff.  That would put two Big Ten teams in the playoffs, neither of whom even played in their conference final. 

That would be crazy.  There has to be a few GAA lads on the committee is the only conclusion I can come to.

One of the sports chat shows today suggested the BCS standings be revealed only once, after the conference championship games.  But that would eliminate news and discussion on the interim weekly polls and that would not be welcome.

Alabama should win it all comfortably anyway.

Minder

Gronk out indefinetly for Pats, needs a back surgery tomorrow

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on December 01, 2016, 06:45:53 PM

Lad has been in bits for years. Vastly overrated because if he can't stay healthy it doesn't really matter how good he is when fit because he can't be relied on.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on December 01, 2016, 08:14:03 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 01, 2016, 06:45:53 PM

Lad has been in bits for years. Vastly overrated because if he can't stay healthy it doesn't really matter how good he is when fit because he can't be relied on.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is finished

magpie seanie

He was still awesome in the middle of the season and hopefully this back surgery sorts him out. I have the other buck blocked but when he's quoted you get to see his rubbish. Overrated? Give me strength. Definite future hall of famer.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 30, 2016, 11:19:31 PM
AZ, remember Penn State lost to Michigan 49-10...and also lost to Pittsburgh.  Can't see them leaping over Michigan, no matter how big a win over Wisconsin.

Clemson should beat Va Tech to hold third spot.  I'm not sure about Washington beating Colorado - the game is in Santa Clara, CA so weather should not be a factor.  If Colorado win, it means Washington drop to 5 and Michigan go up to 4 and are in the playoff.  That would put two Big Ten teams in the playoffs, neither of whom even played in their conference final. 

That would be crazy.  There has to be a few GAA lads on the committee is the only conclusion I can come to.

One of the sports chat shows today suggested the BCS standings be revealed only once, after the conference championship games.  But that would eliminate news and discussion on the interim weekly polls and that would not be welcome.

Alabama should win it all comfortably anyway.

If Penn State win the Big 10, and don't go, there will be war. In my mind the only way Michigan get in is if Wisconsin win, and Washington or Clemson lose. In that case it would be Alabama, Ohio State, Washington/Clemson or Michigan/Wisconsin

If Penn State win, I think they go because they have 1 loss, beat Ohio State, and won the Big 10. The committee has always said they value Championships immensely.

If Penn State Win, Washington Win and Clemson Win, I think it will be Alabama, Penn State, Clemson and either Ohio State or Washington.