American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I thought the Packers only got back on an even keel when McCarthy started calling the plays again? Who was calling them earlier in the season? Anyway, thank f**k they're out. You'd swear no other teams got injuries.

No offense intended AZ but I really hope Carolina do it. For many reasons but also I would love to see Peanut Tilman get a ring (he would get one wouldn't he even though he tore his ACL in week 17???), he fully deserves one. Keeps coming back after injuries, great player.

Brady is just ridiculous. Must be in the conversation for GOAT. Interesting that he broke the record for 300 yard playoff games previously held by that known playoff dud Peyton Manning.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2016, 02:50:28 PM
I thought the Packers only got back on an even keel when McCarthy started calling the plays again? Who was calling them earlier in the season? Anyway, thank f**k they're out. You'd swear no other teams got injuries.

No offense intended AZ but I really hope Carolina do it. For many reasons but also I would love to see Peanut Tilman get a ring (he would get one wouldn't he even though he tore his ACL in week 17???), he fully deserves one. Keeps coming back after injuries, great player.

Brady is just ridiculous. Must be in the conversation for GOAT. Interesting that he broke the record for 300 yard playoff games previously held by that known playoff dud Peyton Manning.

No offense taken. Obviously I really hope they don't, at least this weekend coming.

As for Brady, he is the greatest I think, at this stage. I've always been a Montana man, but Brady is just a machine. Manning was fine in the playoffs when he was playing in his own dome in Indy :)

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2016, 02:34:30 PM
Quote from: stew on January 18, 2016, 02:30:23 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 17, 2016, 09:48:23 AM
I wonder did a 2pt conversion go through McCarthys mind after the Hail Mary

No, he is a useless play caller, he is spineless and cannot make the big decision, he should be gone or moved into an executive position, he won a Superbowl with the most talented Packer team in decades, so he probably deserves a spot on the board or something!

ah that's harsh. I wouldn't say it was a useless, spineless play call. All things considered it was surely the right decision. It crossed my mind because the Cardinals must have been reeling, but in fairness he couldn't have expected the drama in OT to happen. I mean the Packers had Palmer dead to rights, and somehow the DBs left a hall of famer wide open and Palmer threw a pass that most coaches would automatically execute the QB for. It just worked.

I think the Packers were unlucky on Saturday, and were the better team.

I am not talking about one play, I am talking about last year and days like that were he has the game won if he has any imagination, he tends to run the ball three times and does not have the balls to try and seal the deal, this is over his whole body of work, a lot of people want him gone, he is simply weak in the heart, I really would love to see him coach the Vikings or Bears, he is one of the worst play callers in the league.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2016, 02:57:23 PM

No offense taken. Obviously I really hope they don't, at least this weekend coming.

As for Brady, he is the greatest I think, at this stage. I've always been a Montana man, but Brady is just a machine. Manning was fine in the playoffs when he was playing in his own dome in Indy :)

NFL should not be played indoor.

Peyton is tough to watch at the moment. He looks so awkward (though slightly less than earlier this season) and by Christ he throws some weird looking balls. That said the succession of drops by his receivers were unforgivable. They were lucky to get away with it last night, they won't have the same luxury against the Patriots.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on January 18, 2016, 02:59:52 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2016, 02:34:30 PM
Quote from: stew on January 18, 2016, 02:30:23 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 17, 2016, 09:48:23 AM
I wonder did a 2pt conversion go through McCarthys mind after the Hail Mary

No, he is a useless play caller, he is spineless and cannot make the big decision, he should be gone or moved into an executive position, he won a Superbowl with the most talented Packer team in decades, so he probably deserves a spot on the board or something!

ah that's harsh. I wouldn't say it was a useless, spineless play call. All things considered it was surely the right decision. It crossed my mind because the Cardinals must have been reeling, but in fairness he couldn't have expected the drama in OT to happen. I mean the Packers had Palmer dead to rights, and somehow the DBs left a hall of famer wide open and Palmer threw a pass that most coaches would automatically execute the QB for. It just worked.

I think the Packers were unlucky on Saturday, and were the better team.

I am not talking about one play, I am talking about last year and days like that were he has the game won if he has any imagination, he tends to run the ball three times and does not have the balls to try and seal the deal, this is over his whole body of work, a lot of people want him gone, he is simply weak in the heart, I really would love to see him coach the Vikings or Bears, he is one of the worst play callers in the league.

Fair enough, but I don't agree with you. I think he has his game 'management' issues, like Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin, but I think he does a good job on calling plays for Rodgers.

magpie seanie

Can anyone answer my question? Who was calling the plays for the Packers before it went back to McCarthy late in the season? Whoever it was was doing a worse job obviously.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2016, 03:02:04 PM

Peyton is tough to watch at the moment. He looks so awkward (though slightly less than earlier this season) and by Christ he throws some weird looking balls. That said the succession of drops by his receivers were unforgivable. They were lucky to get away with it last night, they won't have the same luxury against the Patriots.

The Patriots made a very un-Patriot error in losing to the Dolphins. That's the only thing that might make this game dodgy.  If the Broncos had to go to Foxboro I think this wouldn't even be a contest. As it is, I still think the Patriots win, but going to Denver will not be easy. Manning can barely throw the ball any more, and if he throws any medium outs, they'll be pick sixes. He can still be clever though, and he can still be accurate on the intermediate and short stuff over the middle.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2016, 03:05:02 PM
Can anyone answer my question? Who was calling the plays for the Packers before it went back to McCarthy late in the season? Whoever it was was doing a worse job obviously.

He took over from the Co-ordinator. Your man Clements.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2016, 03:05:59 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2016, 03:02:04 PM

The Patriots made a very un-Patriot error in losing to the Dolphins. That's the only thing that might make this game dodgy.  If the Broncos had to go to Foxboro I think this wouldn't even be a contest. As it is, I still think the Patriots win, but going to Denver will not be easy. Manning can barely throw the ball any more, and if he throws any medium outs, they'll be pick sixes. He can still be clever though, and he can still be accurate on the intermediate and short stuff over the middle.

I agree entirely. I'd much prefer the Broncos to win but it's hard to see, even with their excellent defence.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2016, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2016, 03:05:02 PM

He took over from the Co-ordinator. Your man Clements.

Stew wants Aaron to do it. Hail Mary's every down!

AZOffaly

See Rodgers whining about the coin toss? :) I'm coming around to your point of view on him.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2016, 03:10:06 PM
See Rodgers whining about the coin toss? :) I'm coming around to your point of view on him.

I just read it there. Pathetic. That's his MO though, he'll get something off the officials some other time.

gallsman

What did he say?

magpie seanie

That the ref didn't give him a chance to change his call and flipped it the second time too quick. Also that "it's unfortunate it comes down to that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000624046/article/aaron-rodgers-unhappy-about-coin-flip-gaffe

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2016, 02:44:55 PM

What did he say?

Yeah, what Seanie said. He called Tails, and the ref did the aborted coin flip. Rodgers started giving out that it never flipped over (It actually doesn;t have to), and the ref panicked. He flipped it again, properly, and again it came up Heads. Rodgers said he would have changed to Heads but he wasn't asked.

Imagine it came up Tails the second time? The Cardinals would have went nuts! The ref would have to toss it again :) 'Best out of Three lads, ok? '