American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clov

I'm not sure that the facemask was the right call by the rulebook. It was definitely one of those borderline calls.

I think one of the problems with officiating is that they seem to frame their decisions from the perspective of the offensive players (especially when the QB is involved). This call reminded me of a roughing the passer call from the Cards Niners game the other night - as AZOffaly pointed out, Palmer's chinstrap was grazed and yes, Rodger's facemask was momentarily caught by the defender's finger. But in both cases, seen from the point of view of the defender these were incidental and the facemask rule allows for momentary contact any way.

Here's an existential question, who wins between the Browns and Lions in a 1 point game on the final play? It feels like a logical conundrum.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on December 04, 2015, 07:52:03 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on December 04, 2015, 05:01:57 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 04, 2015, 01:59:54 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on December 04, 2015, 12:08:57 AM
Really like the Lions plus 3 and the over 46.5 tonight... Get on😀

Lions going well so far.
Crazy finish. Didn't think it was a face mask call but crazy.
Only need to watch the 1st quarter and last 6sec for the story of this game.

This is what I hate about American football. By the rule, it was a penalty, but it was, at worst, the most glancing, faintest of touches. No intent, no harm done whatsoever and it's cost Detroit the game.

Seanie will be absolutely fuming.

I was fuming. Rodgers is brilliant at getting penalties, see the way he ducked his head to make it look like it was a facemask. He had been plaguing the officials on the previous play for a non-existent PI call too.

All that said though (1) how did the Lions defense let Rodgers run untouched 17 yards for a TD (guys not facing the ball is ok but the odd glimpse over the shoulder is no harm!!!) and what were they doing on the final play? Richard Rodgers had an easy catch in truth, no-one touched him!!!! Most teams would have their biggest guys on the pitch for a play like that but it looked like RR in a crowd of children! Detroit played well but you can't be making mistakes like that in the NFL.

AZOffaly

Sam Burgess is off training with the Giants. He's some craic.

our_fella

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 04, 2015, 04:02:15 PM

Youll find it's Tom Burgess. His brother.

cadhlancian

Inexplicable that CJ and Ebron weren't in the EZ when that Hail Mary arrived... Unbelievable actually.

AZOffaly

Quote from: our_fella on December 04, 2015, 04:08:44 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 04, 2015, 04:02:15 PM

Youll find it's Tom Burgess. His brother.

Apologies. Just saw it on the sky sports info bar and the rabbitohs or whatever you call them were mentioned.

Oraisteach

Well, shiver me timbers, but Florida just took a 7-2 lead over Bama.  Wonder how long that'll last, given how miserably they played against the Noles.  Their D is making it difficult for the Tide.

cadhlancian

Of the top 6/8 teams, Bama's QB is probably their weakest point. Florida very nervous to start, that punt return seems to have settled them down. I honestly don't think Alabama are a top 4 team.

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on December 05, 2015, 10:22:31 PM
Of the top 6/8 teams, Bama's QB is probably their weakest point. Florida very nervous to start, that punt return seems to have settled them down. I honestly don't think Alabama are a top 4 team.

Something like 7/27 on attempts over 20 yards is Cocker on the season - 2 TDs to 4 INTs. Basically if Bama have to rely on him to wing it down the field the jig is up. Bama are very deserving of being a top four team. And they will be 1 or 2 if they beat Florida.

Oraisteach

15-7 Bama.  Can't see Florida offense scoring against this D.

cadhlancian

Why are they very deserving? Strength of schedule fairly poor, bad loss at home to Ole Miss. The SEC has had a poor year to be fair.

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on December 05, 2015, 11:39:20 PM
Why are they very deserving? Strength of schedule fairly poor, bad loss at home to Ole Miss. The SEC has had a poor year to be fair.

The SEC is brutal to win. So many places it can go wrong. In a sport where there's so many mickey mouse divisions with maybe two good teams in it at most every SEC champion has to do it the hard way. Big teams with big budgets and a lot of four and five star recruits. Five nationally ranked SEC teams going into championship weekend, and that's actually a low number for the SEC. Derrick Henry a lock for the Heisman too. Only two undefeated teams at most so there's a minimum of two spots in the play-offs for a one loss team - it would be mad to say Alabama aren't deserving of a spot in that context.

EDIT: TD Bama. Goodnight Gators.

straightred

Quote from: gawa316 on December 04, 2015, 01:20:58 AM
What's opinions on Steph Curry this year?

Starting following the Warriors 2 years ago partly due to the wives cousin and partly that they are the closet NBA team. I haven't much knowledge or experience of basketball but this guy blows my mind with some of the stuff he does. Yesterday's 3rd quarter against the Hornets was just WOW!!

Never thought I would get so into NBA but love every minute of their games. Think they may finally come undone against Toronto or Indianna.

Raptors had a great chance to beat them last night but the warriors dug it out and are now 21-0. Lowry missed a crucial FT in the last minute that meant they needed a 3 to tie and the warriors were able to keep fouling and deny them the opportunity. Great game - curry shot some amazing 3s in the 4th. The streak goes on

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2015, 11:49:39 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on December 05, 2015, 11:39:20 PM

The SEC is brutal to win. So many places it can go wrong. In a sport where there's so many mickey mouse divisions with maybe two good teams in it at most every SEC champion has to do it the hard way. Big teams with big budgets and a lot of four and five star recruits. Five nationally ranked SEC teams going into championship weekend, and that's actually a low number for the SEC. Derrick Henry a lock for the Heisman too. Only two undefeated teams at most so there's a minimum of two spots in the play-offs for a one loss team - it would be mad to say Alabama aren't deserving of a spot in that context.

EDIT: TD Bama. Goodnight Gators.

It's hard to tell with the SEC because they rarely schedule out of conference so it's hard to know actually how good they are until the end of the year. The SEC east was very poor this year, and even the west didn't seem to be great, compared to other years. They haven't had a national champion in the last 2 years so it's going to be interesting to see if Bama can do it this year.

AZOffaly

As for at most 2 good teams in other conferences, that's a very SEC thing to say and isn't borne out by results.