American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That;s the QB, Kevin Hogan. Sometimes you see trick plays where the QB is lined up like a WR and the defence doesn't know if it's a bluff, if they can ignore them, or if something like that is going to happen.

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2015, 02:39:09 PM
That;s the QB, Kevin Hogan. Sometimes you see trick plays where the QB is lined up like a WR and the defence doesn't know if it's a bluff, if they can ignore them, or if something like that is going to happen.

Brilliant, I love the excitement of the flea flicker and of course, the aul statue of liberty play!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Boise State's statue of liberty play against Oklahoma I think, in the Fiesta Bowl if I'm right, was a thing of beauty.

It was  Oklahoma. The play is fantastic, and the point they did it at as well, pure guts :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Wfg0n2EE8

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2015, 02:39:09 PM

That's brilliant. I'm surprised you don't see more funky stuff like that at free-kicks and corners in soccer, the rewards surely far outweigh the risks/opportunity cost.

Muck Savage

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2015, 03:49:00 PM
Boise State's statue of liberty play against Oklahoma I think, in the Fiesta Bowl if I'm right, was a thing of beauty.

It was  Oklahoma. The play is fantastic, and the point they did it at as well, pure guts :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Wfg0n2EE8

And that wasn't even a touchdown!

The play to tie the game at the end of normal time was great also.

ONeill

Rivers' wife is expecting their 8th child. Feck me pink.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2015, 11:52:22 PM

Sure when you have loads of money why not?

He was majestic last night. Didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Really throwing it with some zip at the moment.

Speaking of zip - I'd say the Carolina Panthers receivers hands are sore today. Cam fairly flung it towards the end. Massive result for them and Newton really took the game to the Seahawks secondary unlike a lot of more touted QB's.

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2015, 11:11:00 AM

He was majestic last night. Didn't deserve to be on the losing side. Really throwing it with some zip at the moment.

Speaking of zip - I'd say the Carolina Panthers receivers hands are sore today. Cam fairly flung it towards the end. Massive result for them and Newton really took the game to the Seahawks secondary unlike a lot of more touted QB's.

Of course I left him on my bench in my ESPN league as I figured Mariota couldn't have a bad day against the 'Fins. Have gone from 3-1 to 3-3 with some very poor performances over the last few weeks, including a loss to an 0-5 team.

Seahawks look all over the shop and it's now very difficult to see them making the playoffs. They'll have to up things considerably  to end up as a 10-6 team.

AZOffaly

Bad loss for the Cardinals yesterday. Appeared way too casual, and in control, and then when momentum shifted they couldn't respond. Palmer's last interception was very poor, and unlike him this past while. That's 4-2 now, and you can't really fritter away wins in the NFL. Maybe the Seahawks will bail them out but Arizona needs to beat Baltimore in Phoenix next weekend.

Clov

I watched the Ravens last night and they don't look a good team at all. I think the Cardinals receivers will have a field day against their secondary.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

magpie seanie

Think the Cardinals will get back on track next week but that's a missed opportunity against the Steelers (minus Big Ben).

AZOffaly

Frustrating thing is they were so dominant for most of the game. They just didn't put points on the board. If they had gone ahead by 14 points, they'd have blown them away, I'm sure. Instead they stalled, then the Steelers got a bit of confidence, and Landry Jones played well when he came in. Definitely one left behind them though.

cadhlancian

Rivers had Danny WIDE open in the EZ on second down on that last series and threw to Gates in double coverage instead. That's why he's not on the likes of Rodgers or Brady's level. Neither of them would have missed that.
Also he threw 60 f**king passes.

AZOffaly

Where does Rivers rank in current QBs. I don't mean historically, I mean right now, if you were picking your 'All Pro' team, where would he come in the voting.

I'd say Rodgers is probably #1, Brady #2. Then what?

Peyton is really struggling these days, so he's well down. Luck is not having the best of times either. Probably Ben Roethlisberger is #3. Rivers might well be '#4 or #5 though. He's better than the majority of QBs playing at the moment.

magpie seanie

Quote from: cadhlancian on October 19, 2015, 01:17:44 PM

Rivers had Danny WIDE open in the EZ on second down on that last series and threw to Gates in double coverage instead. That's why he's not on the likes of Rodgers or Brady's level. Neither of them would have missed that.
Also he threw 60 f**king passes.

That was a terrible mistake alright because it's hard to understand how he didn't see him. As for throwing 60+ passes - what was he going to do? Let Melvin Gordon fumble a few more times? 7.7 YPA is more than respectable in the circumstances and he hadn't got his best receiver for most of the second half.

Rodgers wasn't that impressive last night, barely completed half his passes against a pretty ordinary defense.