American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Packers wouldn't be nearly the draw the Pats are over here stew.

TabClear

Is there some link to playing in London and hosting the Superbowl?

AZOffaly

No. Arizona have never played in London. There was some talk of a team being coaxed to go with threats about their Super Bowl bid alright.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 04, 2015, 02:39:08 PM

Don't let facts get in the way of ignorant bluster.

AZOffaly

gallsman

Pats support in UK well known, as you alluded to, is a fact. The other fella going on about the packers is full of bluster.

cadhlancian

I'm a big Rodgers fan. However, he is 6-5 in the playoffs and has won , ONE playoff game in the last 5 years ( against Minnesota with a no name backup QB). He is a million miles away from being close to Brady. He has as much talent as anyone playing the game, his playoff record would need to significantly improve.....

gallsman

Quote from: cadhlancian on October 04, 2015, 11:12:42 PM
I'm a big Rodgers fan. However, he is 6-5 in the playoffs and has won , ONE playoff game in the last 5 years ( against Minnesota with a no name backup QB). He is a million miles away from being close to Brady. He has as much talent as anyone playing the game, his playoff record would need to significantly improve.....

He beat the cowboys last year, surely? Also, in fairness to the fella, he really ought to have won against Seattle in the NFC Championship and the only reason he didn't was a ridiculously fumbled onside kick.

cadhlancian

And Brady lost 2 Superbowls in the last minute of both, to two miracle plays. Such is life.

gallsman

Quote from: cadhlancian on October 04, 2015, 11:20:50 PM
And Brady lost 2 Superbowls in the last minute of both, to two miracle plays. Such is life.

True. I think Rodgers has a bit to go yet before people start comparing him to manning's playoff record.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on October 04, 2015, 11:18:36 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on October 04, 2015, 11:12:42 PM

He beat the cowboys last year, surely? Also, in fairness to the fella, he really ought to have won against Seattle in the NFC Championship and the only reason he didn't was a ridiculously fumbled onside kick.

Yes and that's why W-L isn't a (relevant) QB stat, even though it is getting spouted more and more.

Read something at start of the season on ESPN that an anonymous NFL scout watched every snap last year that Brady & Rodgers took and in his opinion Rodgers play was at a significantly higher level than Brady's. Obviously two great players.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

San Francisco's defense must really have improved a lot in a week. 

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 04, 2015, 02:39:08 PM

Green Bay has a tremendous fan base all over the world, it will be the game that has the most supporters attending ever when they go there.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Pretty sure you wrong on this. I would say the pats and niners have more fans on this side of the pond.

Clov

Anyone who was big in the 80's is well supported over here - Dolphins, Bears as well as the already mentioned Pats, Niners.

The point is moot though because hasn't the international series sold out every year so far? I've been to the 2 games involving the Niners in London and while there were plenty of Niner fans there the majority of those attending were sporting colours/jerseys of from other NFL teams.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"