American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

All the pro sports over there feature some games against teams from the other conference. They are probably just following the same model.

RealSpiritof98

Jarryd Hayne looks real deal

AZOffaly

First Pre-Season NCAA Football AP poll is out. I'm surprised to see 6 PAC-12 teams in the top 25, I don't think the PAC-12 has really done enough to have that sort of impact. Particularly surprised at ASU at number 15. I suppose, as they say, it's not important what ranking you are at the start of the season, it's where you are at the end. Ohio State are the first consensus #1 in the pre-season AP Poll, ever. The poll is going since 1950.

1   Ohio State   Big Ten
2   TCU                   Big 12
3   Alabama           SEC
4   Baylor           Big 12
5   Michigan State   Big Ten
6   Auburn           SEC
7   Oregon           Pac-12
8   USC                   Pac-12
9   Georgia           SEC
10   Florida State   ACC
11   Notre Dame   Division I FBS Independents
12   Clemson           ACC
13   UCLA           Pac-12
14   LSU                   SEC
15   Arizona State   Pac-12
16   Georgia Tech   ACC
17   Mississippi   SEC
18   Arkansas           SEC
19   Oklahoma           Big 12
20   Wisconsin           Big Ten
21   Stanford           Pac-12
22   Arizona           Pac-12
23   Boise State   Mountain West
24   Missouri           SEC
25   Tennessee   SEC

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: laoislad on August 23, 2015, 09:09:48 PM
Didn't know where else to ask this, but how are LA Galaxy playing New York City tonight when they are in different conferences?

Well simply - you don't just play teams in your own conference.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2015, 01:50:27 PM
First Pre-Season NCAA Football AP poll is out. I'm surprised to see 6 PAC-12 teams in the top 25, I don't think the PAC-12 has really done enough to have that sort of impact. Particularly surprised at ASU at number 15. I suppose, as they say, it's not important what ranking you are at the start of the season, it's where you are at the end. Ohio State are the first consensus #1 in the pre-season AP Poll, ever. The poll is going since 1950.

1   Ohio State   Big Ten
Going on hols to Texas next week and we just booked tix last night to go to Baylor v SMU in Dallas.
I've just finished the entire five series of Friday Night Lights so now know a tiny tiny bit more about the sport, i.e. I know what a wide receiver is supposed to do, but going for the atmosphere more than anything.  For a Friday night college game, what time is the tailgate stuff likely to kick off at?

We're also going to see San Diego Chargers as we're heading there for a few days too.  This aul American Football match stuff would need to be good...

Oraisteach

The atmosphere at Baylor vs SMU should be electric, though I think Baylor will wallop them.  Baylor will want to make a mark after being excluded from the 4-team national championship playoffs last year. Should be great fun.

Syferus

Quote from: Rois on August 28, 2015, 11:35:58 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2015, 01:50:27 PM

1   Ohio State   Big Ten
Going on hols to Texas next week and we just booked tix last night to go to Baylor v SMU in Dallas.
I've just finished the entire five series of Friday Night Lights so now know a tiny tiny bit more about the sport, i.e. I know what a wide receiver is supposed to do, but going for the atmosphere more than anything.  For a Friday night college game, what time is the tailgate stuff likely to kick off at?

We're also going to see San Diego Chargers as we're heading there for a few days too.  This aul American Football match stuff would need to be good...

Are you sure it's Friday night? Friday night is sacred in Texas (and most everywhere else where football is big) for high school football and most college ball is on Saturday. A college town any weakened a game is on is going to be mental.

AZOffaly

I was thinking the same thing. Baylor SMU might be a Thursday night game. Either way it will be great craic. The Tailgate will start at least 2-3 hours beforehand.

Just checked, it is Friday night alright. Very strange in Texas. Obviously moved to make it an ESPN game.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021915aaa.html

Rois

Yeah we were actually considering a different game on the Saturday night (think Alabama playing Wisconsin just outside Dallas at Arlington- how does that make sense??) but I have a rodeo booked in Fort Worth for Saturday night, so the Friday suited fine. 

AZOffaly

Jaysus go to Bama - Wisconsin!!!!!

At the start of the year, quite a few games are on neutral sites, they're kind of a roadshow for the season. When the conference schedules kick off, they are normally home or away.

AZOffaly

Rois

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2015, 03:56:32 PM
By the way, re Tailgating, see this... Have fun :)

http://www.smumustangs.com/trads/boulevard.html

Oh that's so helpful, thank you - looks class!

Also just got an email from Aer Lingus to tell me that my bid for upgrade to business class on the way out was successful, so it's shaping up to be a great start to our holiday...

Oraisteach

I'm with AZ on this one.  Bama-Wisconsin should be a terrific matchup.  A game with great significance for both teams.  Should be a thriller with Bama clear favourites.

Gabriel_Hurl

Have booked myself a weekend in Pittsburgh in November.
Notre Dame vs Pitt Panthers on Saturday and Steelers-Raiders on Sunday both at Heinz Field.