American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

After 3rd quarter thought this definitely over in 5, which I never thought possible. Introduction of David Lee and Curry finding his touch gives me something to hold onto.

Have the Cav injuries done them a favor? In that everything needs to go  through Lebron. Dellavedova or whatever you call him had the game of his life. He is such a pest and I still have no idea how he made that shot.

Warriors don't win game 4 it's over

Oraisteach

The Cavs mantra may be 'All In' but I'm All Stunned!  They look like a MASH unit out there but still manage to eke a victory.  When GSW reduced a 20 pt. lead to one, I was sliding into a Cleveland stoical acceptance of inevitable defeat. So thrilled, but there's a long way to go.  As a longtime Cleveland fan (lived there since 79), and a witness to 36 championship-free years in the big three sports, I am excited by gawa's final post and agree with Syf that game four will be pivotal.  For the first time I feel we actually have a chance to win this thing.  And what about the Delly-lama working his magic? The kid is like an aggressive Chihuahua staring down a pit bull.

brokencrossbar1

I reckon if Delly had an O Neills in his hand instead of a Spalding he'd make a brilliant half back or half forward. His work rate is unreal and his hustle ball was real championship play. That ball he dived on after LBJ missed the jump shot summed up how he plays and how Cavs will win this. Curry wilting under the pressure a bit and LBJ showing why he is the best in the business. They've got under GSW skins and have set up a great system to curtail their offence. As the old phrase goes great forwards win games, great defences win championships.

stew

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 10, 2015, 03:39:25 PM
I reckon if Delly had an O Neills in his hand instead of a Spalding he'd make a brilliant half back or half forward. His work rate is unreal and his hustle ball was real championship play. That ball he dived on after LBJ missed the jump shot summed up how he plays and how Cavs will win this. Curry wilting under the pressure a bit and LBJ showing why he is the best in the business. They've got under GSW skins and have set up a great system to curtail their offence. As the old phrase goes great forwards win games, great defences win championships.

LBJ and co will win game four, they should be 3-0 up right now and to me the GSW's cannot find the mentality they need to turn this team over, they continue to allow LBJ to do as he wishes and unless they get down and dirty in the trenches like the Cavs are they are going to lose. The thing is, you canot simply turn your mindset on and off, I believe they bought into the press that told them they were sure thing!

Le Bron is the best player I have ever seen period, end of, what he is doing to a great team like like is nothing short of amazing and no other player in history would have theses lads 2-1 up against a team of this calibre.

I am by no means a fan of Cleveland but I am pulling hard for them, it would mean so much to the people who have suffered for what seems like forever and being an Armagh fan, I have known their pain! GO CAVS.

Orais, dare to dream my friend, you lot are winning the NBA finals.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

Stew you are pushing it to say GSW are a "great team"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

Thanks for the encouragement, Stew, and as a Clevelanders this does remind me of Armagh in 2002.  All we need is a pep talk by Big Joe and Oisin McConville toggling out at point at point guard.  And with Dellavedova being a Gael, what more can I say.

Whatever about the term 'great', Minder, GSW havebeen great this year.  Curry and Thompson have been lethal from beyond the arc, and through every game I wait for them to shoot the lights out.  Nobody has come close to them this year.  In my books, that makes them a great team.

stew

Quote from: Minder on June 10, 2015, 04:32:14 PM
Stew you are pushing it to say GSW are a "great team"

They are great, they have the greatest pre shooter the game has ever seen and are stacked at every position and can go 11 deep if needs be, they are being outhustled and outcoached so far and they are playing like they can hit the next gear with no trouble, they cant, the mindset was wrong from the get go, Cleveland players are prepared to kill themselves for each other and I firmly believe that they will win game four, LBJ and co will find a way to get this done if the refs dont get in their way!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magpie seanie

Holy God - a "great team" that has won absolutely nothing. I know you're excited stew but I think you're several storeys ott!

We'll see what GSW are made of in the next game. They need to win it badly and they just might.

The Iceman

This is what the NBA finals are all about. I love the best of 7 approach. Very exciting series to watch, edge of the seat stuff and I am waiting nervously on the Cavs to implode but praying they don't.
Have the Mrs cheering for them now too and she never liked basketball really. Bring on game 4!!!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 10, 2015, 05:57:09 PM
This is what the NBA finals are all about. I love the best of 7 approach. Very exciting series to watch, edge of the seat stuff and I am waiting nervously on the Cavs to implode but praying they don't.
Have the Mrs cheering for them now too and she never liked basketball really. Bring on game 4!!!

I am afraid to say anything.

I spent a summer in Cleveland and my extended family will be up the walls.

Fingers crossed!
MWWSI 2017

Oraisteach

Seanie, if I were a gambling man, I'd probably still bet on GSW.

But I do have to quibble with your notion of greatness.  In my view, there are plenty of great teams that have won nothing.  In your view, I'm sure, then they were not great.  But to define greatness solely on championships won is to fall prey to media hype and a narrow definition of greatness.

In 1995, the Cleveland Indians finished the season with a record of 100-44 and won their division by 30 games. In the playoffs they swept the Red Sox and went to the World Series (hate that term) against the Atlanta Braves. They lost the series in six, losing Game 1 2-1 and Game 6 1-0.  They just didn't hit in those two games, even though their lineup included Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle and Kenny Lofton.  They were still a great team.  It's just that on those two particular days, Atlanta was better.

On a more mundane level, I used to coach a high school quiz team.  In the state competition (164 teams, I think), we reached the final.  We had a great team, and we squared off against another great team, but with nine questions left we were losing by eight.  Luckily, my whiz kid went nuts and answered all nine questions.  We lifted the state title and in the annals of Ohio state quiz greatness, the other team vanished into oblivion. But, believe me, they were a great team, as good as we were, and on another day . . . .

We were a great team, but up to that point had won no championships, so did we suddenly become great simply because we won the title.  Not in my view.

Golden State is a great team, not yet in the realm of the Bulls, Celtics or Lakers of old, but great nonetheless.

Oraisteach

Good man, Iceman.  I love these pockets of Cleveland support.  Muppet, I'm guessing you stayed on the West Side, in Lakewood perhaps.

muppet

Quote from: Oraisteach on June 10, 2015, 06:25:16 PM
Good man, Iceman.  I love these pockets of Cleveland support.  Muppet, I'm guessing you stayed on the West Side, in Lakewood perhaps.

Exactly right!
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Outside of LBJ I'm kinda like some of the guys in that I'm pulling for the Cavs as I see a lot of the spirit that was in Armagh in 2002 but moreso like the teams I played on.  They're a group of grinders with a gilt edge, hard workers who are going the extra step.  Blatt too seems to have a real hard edge about him(not surprisingly really given his background, don't like give her dixie in here!!!) but I think so far he has won the battle of the sideline, although he does seem to be LBJs no 2 as opposed to the coach!!!  I really hope that they pull it over the line and if they win game 4 I can only see 1 result.

Muck Savage

Its amazing what a couple of games does. After game 1, 0-1 down and Irving out everyone was saying lights out on the Cavs. Today they are touching the Championship. They have shown an unreal aggressiveness and hunger to win, and I love to see that in a team. They only played with only 7 player last night and Deli spent last night in hospital due to sever dehydration. I've always though the Jordan was the best player ever but if LBJ pulls this off then he overtakes him in  my eyes.

The problem for me all this is against the Dubs. GS need to find something, that lack of experience is telling right now. They have to win the first quarter tomorrow (they haven't lead at the end of any quarter in regulation time). They have to be aggressive and stop kicking out all high percentage shot opportunities for three pointers. Get into a rhythm with 2's and the 3 pointers will fall, right now they are trying to force the 3 point shot. The Cavs have put pressure on them but some of the shot choices and misses last night were poor. David Lee offered much more intelligence on the ball when he came in last night and Curry began to fire. I know I'm grasping right now but I've gotta cling onto something.