American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: gawa316 on May 28, 2015, 03:39:52 PM
Up the Dubs!

Curry and Thompson are going to be renamed the bash or clash bros after the hits/falls they've had in the last 2 games!

Two nasty looking ones alright that they were lucky to cone away from with no harm done. Klay stepping up last night could be huge for the warriors, as he hadn't shone anywhere near as brightly in the playoffs as he did in regular season.

Muck Savage

The warriors have great depth this year. I thought at the start of the year that they didn't have enough star power in the starters to be a genuine contender but as the year rolled out Curry has stepped up in that department. Been great to watch his development over the last few years as well as Klay and Green. Last night the 'others' played their part with Barnes, Iggy & Ezeli putting in great shifts. Barnes's 7pt run gave them that bit of daylight in the 4th to push on.
I do however think that this year was thrown wide open with all the injuries at OKC/Clippers, the fact that Spurs are getting old and the split of the big three in Miami. Long may this last as it's great to see the less popular teams make it through. A few years ago you would be given a hard time for waring a Warriors hat but now everyone is wearing Warriors gear around here, great to see. Im sure its the same in Cleveland and whoever wins I'll be happy for, just a lot more happy if its the Dubs  ;)

Roll on next Thurs and the Roracal will be hopping!

gallsman

AZOffaly

Yeah, this is exactly what I was on about. It's all lip service and false patriotism. And now it transpires that the services actually pay for these tributes, so it means even less. All it is is advertising for other young men to join up, because the NFL will thank you for your service. (for a fee).

stew

Quote from: gallsman on May 28, 2015, 07:27:22 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on May 28, 2015, 05:51:01 AM
Darn.  As if it wasn't tough enough already, Charles Barkley predicts that the Cavs will be NBA champions.

Barkley is a moron. He made an absolute twat of himself earlier in the season ranting about analytics guys.

Barkley is brilliant, he gives not one shite what you think of him and since when do analytics guys have all the answers?

Maybe Orais he said that because Cleveland have the best player on the planet playing for them at the top of his game?

I think they will lose 4-2 but James is on a different level than anyone else. Go Cavs!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Quote from: stew on May 29, 2015, 04:22:07 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 28, 2015, 07:27:22 AM
Quote from: Oraisteach on May 28, 2015, 05:51:01 AM
Darn.  As if it wasn't tough enough already, Charles Barkley predicts that the Cavs will be NBA champions.

Barkley is a moron. He made an absolute twat of himself earlier in the season ranting about analytics guys.

Barkley is brilliant, he gives not one shite what you think of him and since when do analytics guys have all the answers?

Maybe Orais he said that because Cleveland have the best player on the planet playing for them at the top of his game?

I think they will lose 4-2 but James is on a different level than anyone else. Go Cavs!

He's not a great analyst or pundit at all. He definitely doesn't care what I think of him. Nor does he give a shite about your support for him for that matter. Barkley's comments were along the lines of "analytics guys were just ugly kids with no talent who couldn't get the girls in high school" and were widely panned. You don't think that's pathetic?

Where did anyone say analytics guys had all the answers? Analytics are a feature of pro sport these days, particularly so in MLB, the NBA and the NFL and they're here to stay. The value they add is clear for all to see.

AZOffaly

Great News, and a sensible venue, both for atmosphere/crowd size and for minimal impact on Croker. In fact if the GAA have any cop on, they'll piggyback shamelessly and try get visitors from Boston or Georgia to go to a game in Croker as well.

http://www.the42.ie/college-american-football-2016-aviva-stadium-2139432-Jun2015/

Gabriel_Hurl

Muck Savage

Game 1 tonight. Will the Warriors be able to hold LBJ, how fit is Irving, will JR get into a shooting streek. All questions from a Warriors fan for the past 15 years (14 of them painful). Can Curry dominate outside, is Klay ready to go. Can Draymond hold the King?
This is going to be a great series. Will be great for either city to win and I think all warrior fans would be behind the Cavs if the Warriors were not here. Warriors have to win tonight to settle nerves as no one on the roster has been here before. Looking forward to this.

AZOffaly

Is it on TV in Ireland I wonder? Never watch basketball, but I'm a little intrigued by Oraisteach and Muck Savage's excitement :)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2015, 03:54:12 PM
Is it on TV in Ireland I wonder? Never watch basketball, but I'm a little intrigued by Oraisteach and Muck Savage's excitement :)

It's on BTSport,  really looking forward to it,  Muck Savage is right GSW need a first night win to settle the nerves.  If the Cavs get a good start and LBJ gets his mojo working I think they can sneak it even though GSW are the better all round roster.

Muck Savage

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2015, 03:54:12 PM

The last time the Warriors were in the finals was 1975, when you and I were fairly small. I've been at games when they were getting hammered by back-up teams and when they were struggling to get double digit wins in the season.

Longer for Cleveland since they won something so it's a little unique

AZOffaly

I remember the Warriors being absolute muck (no offence :) ) when I was in Phoenix. Themselves and the Clippers were a joke.

laceer

Always had a soft spot for the Warriors. Chris Mullins and Tim Hardaway were decent for them at one stage in the 90s. LeBron is an animal though - such a player.

gawa316

Can't wait for this. This is my first season really into basketball. The woman's cousin is a Warriors fan so jumped on the bandwagon. Went to a game last year and was hooked. The only thing I knew about the Warriors before that was they had the best 3 point shooters in NBA Jam!

As for tonight, like others say Warriors really need to get the win. I'd say the Cav's are coming in thinking if we can snatch one of the 1st 2 it's on. I never thought the Cav's were serious title contenders even with a a fit Love and Irving but with LBJ you can never count them out. Look at the difference he has made. The Cav's went from a 33-49 team to 53-29 and Miami went from 54-28 and 37-45. Heat made it to the final in 2014 and the Cav's are obviously in this one, there is one common denominator.

I can't see anyone one Warrior trying to guard him, think it'll be a mixture of Green (mostly), Barnes and Iggy. Hopefully Curry and Thompson are on their games from the start.