American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 17, 2015, 10:56:35 PM
He's just out of rookie though. He hasn't been bashed around for 10 years. College is nowhere near the NFL for that, even in the Big 10. It reads like he's afraid of what might happen him, as opposed to nervous about what has already happened him. Fair play to him if he feels he can turn down the money, he's obviously not prepared to gamble his future health..

He's 24. From the moment he enters high school he starts getting bashed around. It's all relative to body size - there'll always be someone bigger and meaner to knock you about at all levels.

AZOffaly

It is relative, but he was a scholarship recruit and a pro prospect at Wisconsin. It's fair to say he was doing most of the punishing at those levels.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 18, 2015, 08:36:22 AM
It is relative, but he was a scholarship recruit and a pro prospect at Wisconsin. It's fair to say he was doing most of the punishing at those levels.

Even so, that has an incredibly punishing impact on your body. Lol at the hits someone like Kam Chancellor puts in - he's not going to get away scott free. Like BOD in rugby.

He's done his research, has had two confirmed concussions and likely a third. If he's "afraid" of what might happen then that's something he should be lauded for in my opinion.

AZOffaly

I'm not saying he shouldn't, sorry if it sounded like I was criticising him. I'm saying fair play to him if he feels it's not worth the risk of jeopardising his health. If he has had 3 concussions already, and is a linebacker, the chances are he would pick up at least a few more before he reached normal retirement age.

AZOffaly

One of his concussions was playing soccer in 8th grade. Another was in high school football as a sophomore. But the chances of him getting more concussions where every week you are hammering against lads that are just as big, or bigger, and just as tough, or tougher, is obviously greater. It's an amazing decision for a rookie to make though, which is why I said fair play. This is not a lad with $10m in the bank.

AZOffaly

Anyone interested in doing a bracket for March Madness?

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2015/en/group?groupID=941283

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 18, 2015, 09:52:32 AM

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2015/en/group?groupID=941283

Im up for it!! Anyone catch the Old miss game? I much prefer college ball to the NBA

Minder

Inside Linebacker is also a punishing position to play, usually the highest tackle count for a player, you are either meeting a RB coming at you full pelt or trying to shedd off a much bigger O-lineman that is out in front blocking.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on March 18, 2015, 10:03:30 AM

Im up for it!! Anyone catch the Old miss game? I much prefer college ball to the NBA

Work away so. That's an open group...

gallsman

Can't agree with that! NBA far better in terms of both quality and fun!

AZOffaly

I prefer College Ball myself, although to be fair I just like the conference and March Madness tournaments.

I find the NBA a bit boring. Up/Down/Up/Down, no defense, and the game only comes to life in the last 10 minutes or so.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 18, 2015, 01:07:25 PM
I prefer College Ball myself, although to be fair I just like the conference and March Madness tournaments.

I find the NBA a bit boring. Up/Down/Up/Down, no defense, and the game only comes to life in the last 10 minutes or so.

Ah no, the no defense thing is a myth. There are some great players who are atrocious defensively (most notably James Harden) but the majority of all the top players, and teams, are excellent in both directions.

I do like March Madness myself though. Not as fussed on the conference championships.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: gallsman on March 18, 2015, 01:01:54 PM

For a man that likes Baseball i find Basketball boring (i know), too much scoring i think and tbh any game i fancy watching i tune in for last 5/10 mins at most.

Bracket filled.

gallsman

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on March 18, 2015, 01:48:34 PM

Quote from: gallsman on March 18, 2015, 01:01:54 PM

For a man that likes Baseball i find Basketball boring (i know), too much scoring i think and tbh any game i fancy watching i tune in for last 5/10 mins at most.

Bracket filled.

I can sympathise with that I guess. I like the NBA in general because of the athleticism and "skill" and "flair" compared to the other sports but accept that there are a lot of dead games out there. Come playoff time though it gets fantastic! Watch out for the first round in the West where a (finally) fully healthy #8 OKC should have every chance of taking down #1 Golden State.

cadhlancian

The NBA has become a joke. Too many teams making the playoffs. 60% of the teams make the playoffs out of 30 teams, and that's after a nearly 80 game regular season . It really is about money, lining the owners pockets etc. Of the 16 teams, probably 4/5 maybe have any realistic change of winning it. Compare to the NFL were less teams make the playoffs , with more teams and less games. Also, most years you make some sort of case for maybe 7/8 of the NFL teams, the giants, packers and ravens to name a few in recent times. However,unfortunately the NFL will soon follow suit, and greed will prevail...
Bracket is filled out (4 of them) . Very hard to look past the athleticism and length of big blue. I took Wisonsin in one bracket beating KU in the final 4 and beating Michigan St in the final. All my others I have Kentucky beating Duke for it all.