American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 14, 2015, 02:23:21 AM
You are joking at that claim about Harvin and Watkins, right?

They aren't even the best pair of receivers in New York.

Watkins is on Odell-Beckham's level and had a very good rookie season too, all with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton. Harvin has question marks about his character but in terms of talent he's one of the best in the league. If it works out in Buffalo him and Watkins will be a fantastic pairing. Interesting that Rex coaching Harvin last year and thought enough of him to bring him to Buffalo with him.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 12, 2015, 11:27:52 AM
When you have someone like Luck, it's important to have a viable threat at least on the ground. Gore won't (I don't think) be a thousand yard rusher again, but if he got 700-750 he'd be great value for 4million per. 750 might be enough to at least make the opposition respect the run and open things up a bit for Luck, especially in the playoffs.

Gore has good hands out of the backfield so he will catch around 50 passes for 400-600 yards and rush for about 1000 yards. The Colts now have a chance to beat he Pats in the AFC Championship if they beef up their defensive secondary.

The Tampa Bay Bucs are really making improvements through free agency but not enough yet to get them all the way, Seattle signing Graham just put them back in the Super Bowl.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

DrinkingHarp

Watch the NFL draft for a kid named Tevin Coleman RB from Indiana University. I have been watching this kid play since he was 10 years old when he played with my nephew on the pop warner and high school teams, he really is a unique talent that is ranked as the fourth best RB in the nation. Ask Oraisteach what he did to his Ohio State team something like 230 yards and 3 touchdowns at their stadium when everyone knew he was getting the ball.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

cadhlancian

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2015, 12:14:59 PM

Watkins is on Odell-Beckham's level and had a very good rookie season too, all with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton. Harvin has question marks about his character but in terms of talent he's one of the best in the league. If it works out in Buffalo him and Watkins will be a fantastic pairing. Interesting that Rex coaching Harvin last year and thought enough of him to bring him to Buffalo with him.
how can you say Watkins is on Beckhams level?
Watkins 65 catches on 128 targets for 982 and 6 scores
OBJ 91 catches on 132 targets for 1305 and 12 scores.
Watkins had a decent rookie campaign , but he was held to under 30 yards in 6 games! OBJ had ONE game under 90!!!
Let's not get carried away? Harvin is in the league 7 seasons and has ZERO 1000 yard years? He hasn't played more than 8 games in 4 years??

gallsman

Quote from: cadhlancian on March 16, 2015, 05:23:24 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2015, 12:14:59 PM

how can you say Watkins is on Beckhams level?
Watkins 65 catches on 128 targets for 982 and 6 scores
OBJ 91 catches on 132 targets for 1305 and 12 scores.
Watkins had a decent rookie campaign , but he was held to under 30 yards in 6 games! OBJ had ONE game under 90!!!
Let's not get carried away? Harvin is in the league 7 seasons and has ZERO 1000 yard years? He hasn't played more than 8 games in 4 years??

Not that it changes the argument but with Harvin you do get return yards, jet sweeps etc to top up his poor receiving stats.

cadhlancian

Ni doubt Gallsman, he is a talented individual. But through 7 years he has flattered to deceive , this is now his 4 team in 4 years :o

Clov

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on March 16, 2015, 03:40:13 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 12, 2015, 11:27:52 AM
When you have someone like Luck, it's important to have a viable threat at least on the ground. Gore won't (I don't think) be a thousand yard rusher again, but if he got 700-750 he'd be great value for 4million per. 750 might be enough to at least make the opposition respect the run and open things up a bit for Luck, especially in the playoffs.

Gore has good hands out of the backfield so he will catch around 50 passes for 400-600 yards and rush for about 1000 yards. The Colts now have a chance to beat he Pats in the AFC Championship if they beef up their defensive secondary.

The Tampa Bay Bucs are really making improvements through free agency but not enough yet to get them all the way, Seattle signing Graham just put them back in the Super Bowl.

I'll be interested to see how Gore does in Indy. He was a very reliable as a receiver for many years in SF but the last couple of seasons his receiving stats have fallen to the floor. If he does bounce back with the kind of receiving production you suggest then that won't reflect well on Kaepernick.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

Anyone watching March madness? Kentucky are fairly rolling this year. Notre Dame won the ACC beating duke and unc in a row, not bad.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 16, 2015, 09:59:06 PM
Anyone watching March madness? Kentucky are fairly rolling this year. Notre Dame won the ACC beating duke and unc in a row, not bad.

Kentucky *should* win it all. Ridiculous team, as they are year after year. The talent Calipari cab recruit year after year is second to none. Anthony Davis was a one and fine UK grad who won everything there was to in college in 2012 and is already one of the best players in the league. Even in his short career to date, he's improved dramatically by reworking his jump shot.

Julius Randle, another UK grad who is currently sitting out his rookie NBA season with injury is the Lakers big young how for once Kobe finally buggers off and stops sabotaging them.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the buildup to the draft as the one and dive system is increasingly controversial. The player's association wants it scrapped while the commissioner and owners want to increase it to at least two and done.

Minder

Bit of a shock that Niners rookie linebacker Chris Borland has retired due to fears of concussion. He was brilliant when stepping in for Patrick Willis last season.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossie11

Sorry to hear that. He had some amount of fantasy pts down the stretch. Averaging 15pts a game

Minder

Quote from: Rossie11 on March 17, 2015, 09:14:02 AM
Sorry to hear that. He had some amount of fantasy pts down the stretch. Averaging 15pts a game

Yeah I picked him up as a free agent  :)

Takes down guts to do what he has done
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

What Borland has done is almost undeniably correct from a health standpoint but I don't think I would make the same decision in the same position. He is probably right though and I would be wrong.

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 17, 2015, 08:54:49 PM
What Borland has done is almost undeniably correct from a health standpoint but I don't think I would make the same decision in the same position. He is probably right though and I would be wrong.

Easy to say that when you think of the millions but you might think differently if your body had been bashed to pieces for the previous ten years.

AZOffaly

He's just out of rookie though. He hasn't been bashed around for 10 years. College is nowhere near the NFL for that, even in the Big 10. It reads like he's afraid of what might happen him, as opposed to nervous about what has already happened him. Fair play to him if he feels he can turn down the money, he's obviously not prepared to gamble his future health..