American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Jake Locker and Jason Worilds retiring at 26 and 27. Extremely unexpected as surely both would have had offers elsewhere?

AZOffaly

I think Jake Locker is beat up. It's an awful pity for a young lad. He probably missed out on the big contract as well, as he came out in 2011, and I think the more restrained Rookie deals were in at that stage.

Minder

Quote from: oakleaflad on March 11, 2015, 01:37:15 PM
Jake Locker and Jason Worilds retiring at 26 and 27. Extremely unexpected as surely both would have had offers elsewhere?

Read that Worilds would command $7-8m a year, obviously NFL would be a hard game if your heart wasn't in it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Iceman

Can the Texans be legitimate contenders now with the addition of AJ and Frank Gore? The free agent maneuvering and player trading/draft pick trading is something to behold.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

The colts you mean? Gore will help, and Johnson is a step up on Wayne at this stage of their careers.

The Iceman

Sorry yes the colts.
They looked good all season and fell when it counted most but adding AJ and Gore should bolster an already solid team...?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

magpie seanie

Quote from: The Iceman on March 11, 2015, 08:19:50 PM
Sorry yes the colts.
They looked good all season and fell when it counted most but adding AJ and Gore should bolster an already solid team...?

I think it's definitely good help but you'd always have to be wary of older guys. Gore will be what they wanted Trent Richardson to be and as AZ says AJ should be a step up on the current Reggie Wayne.

AZOffaly

When you have someone like Luck, it's important to have a viable threat at least on the ground. Gore won't (I don't think) be a thousand yard rusher again, but if he got 700-750 he'd be great value for 4million per. 750 might be enough to at least make the opposition respect the run and open things up a bit for Luck, especially in the playoffs.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 12, 2015, 11:27:52 AM
When you have someone like Luck, it's important to have a viable threat at least on the ground. Gore won't (I don't think) be a thousand yard rusher again, but if he got 700-750 he'd be great value for 4million per. 750 might be enough to at least make the opposition respect the run and open things up a bit for Luck, especially in the playoffs.

They'll probably have Bradshaw and/or Herron as well so gore won't have to do all the heavy lifting. Trent Richardson was just so awful teams didn't have to respect the run much against Indy.

AZOffaly

Bradshaw is a free agent (I think).

Clov

I'd be worried about Gore and to a lesser extent Johnson, given their age. I can see what their thinking is, Luck will be due a huge contract soon that will eat a ton of cap space so lets roll the dice on a couple of moderately high priced veteran free agents to see if we can win it all now. Just not sure if Gore has all that much left - and i say that as a huge fan of FG. On the other hand i've said the same thing of him at the start of every season for the last few years and he still keeps delivering.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Minder

Be interesting to see how De Marco Murray goes with the Eagles next year, because he had such a good year but a heavy load teams didn't seem as interested.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Minder on March 12, 2015, 05:50:16 PM
Be interesting to see how De Marco Murray goes with the Eagles next year, because he had such a good year but a heavy load teams didn't seem as interested.

Great back, terrible hands though

Syferus

The Bills have got Percy Harvin. My God, if the Bills had a good QB they'd be Super Bowl contenders - Shady McCoy, Watkins and Harvin, maybe the most dynamic pair of receivers in football right now, and that defence with Rex Ryan at HC?

Rex is certainly winning the off-season this year.

Gabriel_Hurl

You are joking at that claim about Harvin and Watkins, right?

They aren't even the best pair of receivers in New York.