American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Only for Carroll play call on the fake FG he wouldn't have had a chance at being clutch. 2 mins from being a goat

magpie seanie

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 19, 2015, 12:10:08 AM
Credit has to go to Pete Carroll for the play calls late to get them a chance at the win.  Wilson can't take any credit after 4 interceptions.

Bevell I think was the man with the play calls. I'd give Wilson marks for not shrivelling up after a disastrous 4 picks (he wasn't helped on a few of them by his receivers though). He made some really good throws down the stretch. He didn't hide.

Lynch is incredible and one of my favourite players. His contract situation is a tough one. You simply can't give him a big contract at his age even with how good he has been. Someone will though, probably the Raiders or Buccs.

Carmen Stateside

RealSpiritof98

That was disappointing after 1st game. As a 49ers fan im pulling for my fellow Division team ;) ;) ;) ::), sorry typo there no fu*king chance, lets go Pats

cadhlancian

Seanie, you told me 2 weeks ago to grow up for calling out you on hating the Packers and Rodgers. You are full of dung. You hate Rodgers and the packers. I said 2 weeks ago, that was fair enough. Some of the shite you are talking on here is embarrassing . RIGHT now, Aaron Rodgers is a first ballot Hall of Famer...

Muck Savage

Felt sorry for Andrew Luck and the Colts but they were never at the races. After about the 4th week in the season the press here were claiming the end to Bill and Tom, some coach, some QB. They make mediocre players look good.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote@bkravitz: Breaking: A league source tells me the NFL is investigating the possibility the Patriots deflated footballs Sunday night. More to come.

@bkravitz: I'm told at one point the officials took a ball out of play and weighed it. Should hear more tomorrow on this subject.

@bkravitz: Told if a league investigation confirms deflated footballs it will result in lost draft picks. Stay tuned.

AZOffaly

I am not a fan of Belichick's demeanour, and some of the stunts he has overseen with the Pats, but you have to say he is the best coach ever, or at least is in the running.

He's coached the Pats since 2000. 15 years of tenure in the NFL is good going to start with.

3 Superbowls in 5 appearances, going for 4 in 6.

Developed Tom Brady

But out of all the plaudits and records, in this Salary Cap era, where your team has to be rebuilt every couple of years at least, his regular season record is phenomenal. He started 5-11 in 2000 and since then has gone 11-5, 9-7, 14-2, 14-2, 10-6, 12-4, 16-0, 11-5, 10-6, 14-2, 13-3, 12-4,12-4,12-4.

There've been some bad playoff losses along the way (Jets, Ravens spring to mind) but they just keep coming back. Hes lost receivers, linemen, tight ends, defensive linemen, safeties, linebackers, kickers, everything except Brady and he still keeps winning. I don't like him, but he is a brilliant, brilliant coach.

AZOffaly

By the way, has anyone watched Draft Day yet? It's a typical Costner movie. Actually quite a good premise, and I'd like to see a movie made which followed it from the draftee's perspective as well, all the way through the last college season etc.

The NFL are some marketing men though. They've turned a process similar to a schoolyard captain picking teams into a multi million dollar show.

declan85

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2015, 11:38:21 AM
By the way, has anyone watched Draft Day yet? It's a typical Costner movie. Actually quite a good premise, and I'd like to see a movie made which followed it from the draftee's perspective as well, all the way through the last college season etc.

The NFL are some marketing men though. They've turned a process similar to a schoolyard captain picking teams into a multi million dollar show.

On that note, did you see the new Combine for veterans is coming in March? 100 guys who thought their chance had gone...

AZOffaly

I did. Seems odd to me because the NFL scouting network is fairly exhaustive, and they'll have all sorts of film on you if you've been in the league. Then they scout Canadian football as well. Still it might give a couple of lads a back door in, but I suspect it might just be another 'event'.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2015, 11:51:43 AM
I did. Seems odd to me because the NFL scouting network is fairly exhaustive, and they'll have all sorts of film on you if you've been in the league. Then they scout Canadian football as well. Still it might give a couple of lads a back door in, but I suspect it might just be another 'event'.

Aye, it'll be marketed as 'finding the next Tom Brady'!

AZOffaly

In fairness Brady was drafted in the 6th round by the Patriots, and has been there ever since. Maybe more like 'Finding the Next Kurt Warner'. He was undrafted and ended up playing ARena League before he was brought into the league, and ended up winning a Superbowl with Saint Louis, getting to another with Arizona, and is currently in the Hall of Fame balloting. That's Rags to Riches stuff.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2015, 02:51:46 PM
In fairness Brady was drafted in the 6th round by the Patriots, and has been there ever since. Maybe more like 'Finding the Next Kurt Warner'. He was undrafted and ended up playing ARena League before he was brought into the league, and ended up winning a Superbowl with Saint Louis, getting to another with Arizona, and is currently in the Hall of Fame balloting. That's Rags to Riches stuff.

Jeez, you're really hostile to the concept of 'artistic licence', aren't you? ;)

AZOffaly

Give them artists an inch and they'll take a mile.