American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on January 04, 2015, 12:28:45 PM
Very surprised to see the Ravens topple the Steelers. The other game was awful. Panthers "got it done" in spite of rather than thanks to newton.

Bell a big loss to the Steelers, when the other team knows you can't run on them it makes life a lot easier.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on January 04, 2015, 12:38:51 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 04, 2015, 12:28:45 PM
Very surprised to see the Ravens topple the Steelers. The other game was awful. Panthers "got it done" in spite of rather than thanks to newton.

Bell a big loss to the Steelers, when the other team knows you can't run on them it makes life a lot easier.

True but still thought they'd have enough. Entering Q4 (maybe late in Q3) last week the Ravens were missing playoffs altogether. Now go to NE where a few might be spooked after events of a few years ago.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 03, 2015, 11:07:05 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 02, 2015, 11:29:17 PM
To the Rodgers haters - he got 44 votes out of 50 for the QB Position on the AP All Pro team  ;)

So approx 1 in 8 do not think he was the best QB in the NFL this season. I'm possibly in that camp, definitely not MVP though. If I am a "hater" cos of that so be it.
Who would your MVP be Seanie?
Rodgers v impressive this year IMO.
Not sure how bad his inj is!

Think the ravens were the 'form team' so expected them to pip inconsistent steelers.

Same could be said of the panthers being the form team beating cardinals - but I thought the cards might just do enough to win. But obv I was way wrong!

Bro thinks it's patriots v packers but I think there will be an upset or two yet!

cadhlancian

The Cardinals had 78 total yards yesterday :o. Arguably the worst team to ever play in the playoffs, but on there 3 QB that was always going to be the case. Carolina very average also. If  Newton plays like that yesterday in Seattle or Greenbay, it will over after the 1st quarter.
Levion Bell was a massive loss to the steelers. It allowed more coverage in their secondary, and that was that. Gronkowski will be a different animal for them next week though.

AZOffaly

That was brutal. Still a very good year for AZ, but jaysus I could throw the ball better than lindley. I'm not even sure I'm joking!

Syferus

Carolina's defence was stellar, even accounting for Lindley. The next game will force Carolina to push themselves on offense though, they only needed to control that game on the ground to win it.

Oraisteach

How to make Alabama cookies: Put in bowl with sugar and beat for three hours.  A little levity before we (the Buckeyes) get turned into duck soup next Monday, or maybe not.

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 04, 2015, 04:35:09 PM
How to make Alabama cookies: Put in bowl with sugar and beat for three hours.  A little levity before we (the Buckeyes) get turned into duck soup next Monday, or maybe not.

FSU were only waiting for a good team to put them out of their misery, if we were putting teams in on merit alone rather than record TCU should have been in but no committee would have excluded the undefeated defending national champions. OSU will give Oregon plenty to chew on.

cadhlancian

Defense was stellar??  Would you dispute that that was arguably the worst offense to ever play in the playoffs?

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 04, 2015, 06:17:11 PM
Defense was stellar??  Would you dispute that that was arguably the worst offense to ever play in the playoffs?

Statistically they were but you'd be mad to think it had nothing to do with Carolina. The LBs were in particular exceptional and have been most of the year.

TabClear

Jesus wept, I had recorded the cardinal s panthers game and avoided the score all day. That was brutal viewing.  Even accepting all the injuries, you would expect more of a contest.Were it not for the panthers mistakes it would have been catastrophic!

Steelers Ravens was a decent game but the lack of a run threat cost pittsburgh in the end.

Minder

Fck how is Andy Dalton making $20m this year
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

Quote from: Minder on January 04, 2015, 08:47:16 PM
Fck how is Andy Dalton making $20m this year

AJ Green is making him most of that total.

cadhlancian

Good come from behind win for the cowboys. Lions got a little too conservative too early , instead of playing the way that had gotten them an early lead. Carolina will get trounced in a Seattle next week, the Pats will shut down the Ravens , the cowboys will lose narrowly in a classic to the packers, and Denver will comfortably beat the colts. So there you have it :D

Muck Savage

Have always thought that if the Ravens got into the playoffs they'd be hard beat and NE will be up against it next week. Would love to see the Colts beating Denver, again it will be all about Payton and the return of his old team but I hope this is when Luck outshines him.
Two great weekends ahead.