American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on December 28, 2014, 08:49:11 PM
Once again, Watt is a nonsense. All in vain though if Ravens can hold their lead.

Good article on how Watt prepares for a season

http://grantland.com/features/j-j-watt-houston-texans-2014-nfl-preview/

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on December 28, 2014, 10:26:45 PM
Once again, Watt is a nonsense. All in vain though if Ravens can hold their lead.

Think I posted that back a few months ago! Love Grantland for NBA and NFL, although Simmons is a gobshite of the highest order.

Watt is an utter nonsense. The article captures his dedication perfectly.

RealSpiritof98

Early games were very good and went to the wire, was looking forwad to Panthers v Falcons but looks to be a boatrace. Harbaugh - looks like it could be Michigan. Who will be the next 49ers coach??????

Syferus

Cam gettin it done again. Carolina are one of the hottest teams in the NFL right now, despite their record. Very good defence too. Might cause a shock next weekend.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on December 28, 2014, 11:53:52 PM
Cam gettin it done again. Carolina are one of the hottest teams in the NFL right now, despite their record. Very good defence too. Might cause a shock next weekend.

Beating the bashed up Cards at this stage wouldn't be that much of a shock. Asking Lindley to win a playoff game on the road is a bit much.

cadhlancian

Ah give over Syferus with your Pro SEC BS. Cam Newton is an average ( at best) QB. Atlanta are brutal, and still had a chance to win the division today. To only win 7 games in what was undisputably the NFL's worst division and host a playoff game against a team that won 11 in the TOUGHEST division is a joke. People will say, that's the rules.
Tbh , the only team that Carolina could beat in the playoffs is Arizona and how would it be a shock??
I'd imagine Carolina will be a 4.5 to 5 point favorite in this game.

cadhlancian

Also, there were TEN teams who did not make the playoffs , win as many or more games than the Panthers ( 7 won more).

gallsman

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on December 28, 2014, 10:42:39 PM

Think I posted that back a few months ago! Love Grantland for NBA and NFL, although Simmons is a gobshite of the highest order.

If Watt doesn't get MVP it's a disgrace. What he is doing is historically great. Next contender is Antonio Brown, simply one of the best WR season's in history.

Talk of Rodgers getting it is a joke. He might be in line for an Oscar though, really knows how to get the officials onside. His TD on the QB sneak fall over and roll was a case in point. Never a TD in a million years though I'm not complaining as it (and Brown's magic) helped me to an unlikely win in my last fantasy league!

Minder

Another amazing aspect of Watts sack total and QB hits/pressures is he is doing it in a 3-4 defense.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 29, 2014, 12:24:01 PM

If Watt doesn't get MVP it's a disgrace. What he is doing is historically great. Next contender is Antonio Brown, simply one of the best WR season's in history.

Talk of Rodgers getting it is a joke. He might be in line for an Oscar though, really knows how to get the officials onside. His TD on the QB sneak fall over and roll was a case in point. Never a TD in a million years though I'm not complaining as it (and Brown's magic) helped me to an unlikely win in my last fantasy league!

Ah come on Seanie you can't be serious, Rodgers has had an MVP season, 38 TD & 5 INTs, some QBs in the NFL would throw that many in a game.

Take Rodgers out of that Packers team and they are an 8-8 team. The award is for Most Valuable Player, now nobody could argue much if Watt got it because he has been phenomenal but QBs are the most valuable players on a team.

Look at how teams go to shit when the back up goes in for any length of time.

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on December 29, 2014, 04:36:40 AM
Ah give over Syferus with your Pro SEC BS. Cam Newton is an average ( at best) QB. Atlanta are brutal, and still had a chance to win the division today. To only win 7 games in what was undisputably the NFL's worst division and host a playoff game against a team that won 11 in the TOUGHEST division is a joke. People will say, that's the rules.
Tbh , the only team that Carolina could beat in the playoffs is Arizona and how would it be a shock??
I'd imagine Carolina will be a 4.5 to 5 point favorite in this game.

Yawn. It was on the back of using Cam's dual threat abilities again that Carolina kick-started their offense the past five or so games. The defence was always good but the gameplannign on offense became very conservative and vanilla for the first half of the season and there was a marked change during their current streak.

Newton doesn't try to do everything like a Knaepernick or is incapable of reading defences like RG3 appears to be and he is clearly the best dual threat QB in the NFL right now by a good margin, nevermind that he is one of the few with the size and power to play that role without being continually knocked out of games. He's been a key piece of the Panters going 12-4 last season and going back-to-back in their division for the first time ever. He opens up the running game for the likes of Jonathan Stewert, who has had a career year now he's finally stayed fit for most of a season. You'll see just how not-average the Panters rate him when they give him a new contract.

I make no apologies for being a fan of Cam's, but what you posted is so laughable critical it was hard to know where to start. Much the same as your season-long dismissals of the Cardinals, really. It's good to see you finally acknlowding the Cardinals' but it appears pretty duplicitous and cut to suit at this stage of the journey.

Minder

Black Monday in full swing

Trestman (Bears)
Ryan (Jets)
Smith (Falcons)

All fired today

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on December 29, 2014, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 29, 2014, 12:24:01 PM

Ah come on Seanie you can't be serious, Rodgers has had an MVP season, 38 TD & 5 INTs, some QBs in the NFL would throw that many in a game.

Take Rodgers out of that Packers team and they are an 8-8 team. The award is for Most Valuable Player, now nobody could argue much if Watt got it because he has been phenomenal but QBs are the most valuable players on a team.

Look at how teams go to shit when the back up goes in for any length of time.

You can say that for practically all the playoff teams. Where would the Patriots be without Brady, Steelers without Big Ben, Denver without Peyton, even Seattle without Wilson. QB is the most important position, that is true. However, it is also a position where the players are protected by the rules because of this so they should be producing big numbers. Rodgers threw very few picks but from what I can see doesn't lead any other passing category so how can he be MVP when he's not clearly MVQB? Nick Foles had a 27-2 TD-Int split last season in 10 starts/13 games so averaged out the TD:INT split would be comparable. So Rodgers had a Nick Foles type season and he's MVP. Gimme a break.

Several QB's were good this year but none tore it up enough to beat the historical seasons of Watt, Brown and Murray in that order. Nobody EVER has had two 20 sack seasons and that's before you take into account the TD's Watt scored. No-one in the league EVER has come close to that production. Many QB's have hit Rodgers numbers, Peyton threw 17 more TD's last season!