American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Cards are in serious bother now. A few weeks ago I said they might finish 10-6 or 11-5. To be honest I'd take either of those scenarios now. Of course a lot will be said about Stanton, but I watch all their games, and to be honest, it's far from all his fault. He's not as accurate as he should be on the intermediate throws, which kills you, but he throws a good deep ball, and he is very brave. The main issue, as it has been for the whole year, is the running game. They just cannot run the ball, and that allows teams to play with nickel and dime defenses which is even harder to throw against. Add in all the injuries (Ellington went down last night) and it's not a recipe for success. To be honest they're having an exceptional season considering everything, but with a run in of Kansas, Saint Louis (away), Seattle and San Francisco (away), 2 more wins is a lot to ask for.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Muck Savage on November 30, 2014, 06:53:38 PM
If Ohio beat the Badgers next weekend then I think they get the 4th spot. That will give the 4 huge programs in the final 4

Yeah, if they beat Wisconsin they'll deserve to be in. I just hope the committee doesn't project too much on their QB. A good QB performance in a win would seal it for them I think. A horrible weekend for Ohio State, despite beating Michigan. Losing their second QB through injury, and then having that horrible news about the back up defensive lineman on Sunday..
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11960455/kosta-karageorge-ohio-state-buckeyes-found-dead Rest in Peace the poor lad.

Three *Huge* games next weekend. PAC12 title game, Big 10 title game, and Big 12 last day Baylor v K State. Savage implications. I'm assuming 'Bama take care of Missou and Florida State don't trip up against Georgia Tech (not to be taken lightly).

Syferus

Scandalous stuff going on in Birmingham - UAB is shuttering its' college football program, in the first year they're bowl-eligible since 2004. UAB is beholden to the University of Alabama board of trustees and they have continually hamstrung UAB's attempts to improve their football program in one of the most rabid college football cities in America. They've blocked plans for on-campus stadiums to replace the crumpling and far-too massive Legion Field as well as actually refused donations intended for the UAB football program. The list goes far beyond that, you could write a book on UA's antics with UAB.

UAB is one of the leading medical universities in the world and is the second biggest employer in the entire state of Alabama - this is a sleeping giant being dictated to by greybeards in Tuscaloosa.

The Blazers will be the first FBS team to shutter since 1995, and the greatest mockery is that it was in a year with huge growth in the stands and on the field. This should have been a year of renewal, not of closure.

I respect the Tide as a team but the crap they've pulled here really leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

AZOffaly

I like very little about Alabama.

Muck Savage

Florida win, are unbeaten for the regular season (only team) but I still think they are not in the best 4 teams. Really feel for Ohio sitting at No.5 as I can't see them getting into the top 4 even after a hammering to the Badgers.
Looks like top 4 will be unchanged.

stringbean

Think the manner of Ohio State's win last night will get them in. The fact the big 12 didn't have a championship game is really going to hurt tcu an Baylor

Oraisteach

I fear you may be right Muck Savage, but if the standard for inclusion is the best four teams in the country right now, then the Bucks should be in.  They staked their claim by crushing a team with the second-ranked defense in the country and the premier running back.  But it's probably not enough.  Having moved TCU to third last week, the committee will face acrimony if they remove the Frogs from the final four, especially since they trounced Iowa State (albeit a winless team in the Big 12).  But let's not forget that they managed a mere four-point victory over a crap Kansas team.  Baylor should be up in arms and ought to be named conference champion since they beat TCU in head-to-head competition. Go Bucks--great win with a third-string QB!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Muck Savage on December 07, 2014, 11:07:27 AM
Florida win, are unbeaten for the regular season (only team) but I still think they are not in the best 4 teams. Really feel for Ohio sitting at No.5 as I can't see them getting into the top 4 even after a hammering to the Badgers.

It's going to be interesting. Fair play to Ohio state for that sort of performance. The committee has said that they will value conf champions more than co champions, so if Ohio state were close before, they should nearly get in. I too think that tcu and Baylor will suffer for a poor schedule and a co-championship. I wouldn't fancy how they are going to explain tcu over Baylor, so don't be surprised if they take the easy way out .

stringbean

Anyone else think that this college playoff is as controversial as the BCS, if not more so. No matter what way committee decide there will be 2 teams left feeling very miffed!

Syferus

Quote from: Muck Savage on December 07, 2014, 11:07:27 AM

Everything's pointing to OSU getting in, not it staying the same.

Oraisteach

Oraisteach

If I were ranking I'd go as follows
1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Florida State
5. Baylor
6. TCU

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Oraisteach

Decision in

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Buckeyes

Phew!

Syferus

About right, such was the degree of OSU's performance last night. The two best coaches of the modern era - Saban and Meyer - head-to-head. Should be a good one but I'd be disappointed if Bama couldn't beat a team on their third QB for the season.

Carmen Stateside

Really looking forward to Seahawks Eagles.  Will be a good test for Sanchez and the Eagles, a result here will convince everyone they are legit.  Seahawks defense has been improving and impressed last week in San Fran.  Apart from last weeks win their road form hasn't been the most impressive.  Going with Eagles and the home field advantage, feel with Dallas winning Thursday night it has kept the pressure on the Eagles meaning they should want the win that little bit more. They will need big performances from Mc Coy and Sprole to do so.