American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Beat SB champs on Sunday, lose to 0-10 team on Thursday. That's why I love the NFL so much - the any given day "cliché" is almost a truism.

AZOffaly

Road versus Home is huge. Especially for those Thursday night games. I haven't looked yet, but I wonder how many road wins have been on Thurs.

Edit. Just checked. 8-4 to the home team. Not as much as I expected to be honest.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 21, 2014, 12:14:43 PM
Road versus Home is huge. Especially for those Thursday night games. I haven't looked yet, but I wonder how many road wins have been on Thurs.

Edit. Just checked. 8-4 to the home team. Not as much as I expected to be honest.

Distance travelled for road team would be a factor too I would have thought on a short week, dunno if that is taken into account when the scheduling is done.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

All Thursday night games are divisional games, so that should help with some of the travel.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2014, 11:49:35 AM
Beat SB champs on Sunday, lose to 0-10 team on Thursday. That's why I love the NFL so much - the any given day "cliché" is almost a truism.

RealSpiritof98

49ers O again bring feck all to the game

Gabriel_Hurl

Odell Beckham Jr with the catch of the year  :o :o

cadhlancian

Not too much adjusting needed on my rankings from last week.
1) Pats
2) Packers
3) Broncos
4) Seattle
5) Cowboys
6) Arizona
7) San Francisco
8) Eagles
9) Chiefs
10) Steelers/Chargers/Ravens

AZOffaly

Impressive by the Pats last night. That's a good Detroit Defense. They look invincible in Foxboro. The AFC better hope they slip up a couple of times before the end of the season, because if the AFC road goes through Foxboro, they should be in Arizona in the new year.

As for the Cardinals, they just couldn't get anything serious going offensively up in Seattle. The Defense was brilliant again though, 7 sacks of Wilson. They gave up a couple of scrambling, broken plays to him, but other than that they were excellent. They are the real deal defensively. On the other side of the ball, unfortunately, they found it very tough going in a hostile atmosphere. The running game is a real concern to me. The Offensive line has improved a lot in pass protection, but they don't open up many holes for running backs. That means long 2nd and 3rd down situations, which allows the D to go after the QB, which puts pressure on him and the O-Line to pass protect.

I was relatively happy after it though. I think in Arizona they'll have a good chance against the 'hawks, if the D plays like that. The NFC West is some division though.

AZOffaly

Jaysus, bad news about eric berry, the Chiefs safety. Looks like suspected lymphoma after an Mri showed up a mass on his chest. He's done for the year, hopefully he makes a full recovery.

RealSpiritof98

cadhlancian

The Jets are a fecking joke! How that buffoon Rex still has a job is beyond me. The other idiot brother in New Orleans isn't much better. Sean Payton gave him a nice " talking" too on the sideline tonight.

J70

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 25, 2014, 05:23:29 AM
The Jets are a fecking joke! How that buffoon Rex still has a job is beyond me. The other idiot brother in New Orleans isn't much better. Sean Payton gave him a nice " talking" too on the sideline tonight.

Rex didn't put the squad together and have a lot of  salary cap left over. Players just arent good enough.  He was probably finished after this year no matter what, but Idzik has bigger questions to answer. Rex will get another head coaching job, assuming he doesn't do media stuff for a bit first.

gallsman

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 25, 2014, 05:23:29 AM

Payton hasn't shone much himself since they won the SB.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2014, 10:51:09 PM
Jaysus, bad news about eric berry, the Chiefs safety. Looks like suspected lymphoma after an Mri showed up a mass on his chest. He's done for the year, hopefully he makes a full recovery.

I knew a guy who had something similar discovered and the worst was feared but it turned out to be ok. Fingers crossed it's the same for this guy.