American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Georgia's rivalry game with Auburn will tell us a lot about them. A lot was made of the 'Prayer at Jordan-Hare' that won the match-up last year but Auburn had that game sown up with ten or fifteen minutes to go, they let Georgia back into it big time and they're a better side this year, just as Georgia are.

AZOffaly

Your man is back for Georgia too for that game. The suspended running back. Yeah, if Georgia lose to Auburn, and still win the SEC championship, would a 2 loss SEC Champion get in? They'd have to surely.

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 29, 2014, 01:32:30 PM

Notre Dame will feel hard done by to drop to 10th. They couldn't expect to be in the top 4, but they lost narrowly to #2 and seem to have been punished a lot for that. They're paying for Stanford and Michigan being regarded poorly.

Should they also not have beat Florida State only for a dodgy call at the end?

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 29, 2014, 01:14:00 PM
No harm Asal, but if you think Colt McCoy is a better bet than a fit RGIII, then I don't know what to say to you. As regards Romo, I don't think it was ego as such, I think it is the whole macho 'I'm a leader of this team and my men need me' type reaction which is drilled into these guys, especially the QBs, since they are kids.

Agree about the Broncos, they look very good, however I'd hold off on going all in on them just yet. Manning's playoff record always sticks in my head, and while Denver will be very hard to beat at home, if they end up not getting homefield, and have to go somewhere like Baltimore or New England, watch out. Their schedule has been very favourable so far. They've played 7 games, and 5 of them have been at home!! They've played, and beaten, the Colts, Chiefs, Cardinals, 49ers and Chargers at him, and they've beaten the Jets away. Their only tough away game, they've lost, in Seattle. It looked like a 'good' loss compared to the Superbowl, Seattle's form since has thrown that into doubt a little bit.

Their remaining schedule is obviously going to be weighted towards away games, and there are some challenging ones for them. They are @ Patriots, @Raiders, @Rams, v Dolphins @ Chiefs, v Bills, @Chargers, @Bengals, v Raiders. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they end 15-1, but it's also not crazy to suggest they might finish 12-4 or thereabouts. That might not be good enough for homefield all the way through.
Good point re Denver's schedule and maybe I'll wait and see for a while on that one.

I'm sticking to my guns about McCoy and RGIII though. I know RG3 has a huge profile and reputation, but I can only go on what I've seen of him and anytime I've seen him play in the last 2 years he was woeful and looked less mobile and elusive than McCoy was against Dallas. I'd have RG3 as the most over rated sportsman in the world, since Beckham left the scene. He'll be back soon to prove me right anyway.  :)

RealSpiritof98

Giants World Series Champs!!!! 3 in 5 years

Muck Savage

The City will burn tonight!

gawa316

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 30, 2014, 03:36:11 AM
Giants World Series Champs!!!! 3 in 5 years

Bumgarner was just untouchable

waterfordlad

Well done to San Francisco Giants. I was at one of their games v LA Dodgers in April when visiting my brother in SF. I can't say I found the game too exciting but the game is very popular there and looks like some wild celebrations last night.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 29, 2014, 04:42:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 29, 2014, 01:14:00 PM
No harm Asal, but if you think Colt McCoy is a better bet than a fit RGIII, then I don't know what to say to you. As regards Romo, I don't think it was ego as such, I think it is the whole macho 'I'm a leader of this team and my men need me' type reaction which is drilled into these guys, especially the QBs, since they are kids.

Agree about the Broncos, they look very good, however I'd hold off on going all in on them just yet. Manning's playoff record always sticks in my head, and while Denver will be very hard to beat at home, if they end up not getting homefield, and have to go somewhere like Baltimore or New England, watch out. Their schedule has been very favourable so far. They've played 7 games, and 5 of them have been at home!! They've played, and beaten, the Colts, Chiefs, Cardinals, 49ers and Chargers at him, and they've beaten the Jets away. Their only tough away game, they've lost, in Seattle. It looked like a 'good' loss compared to the Superbowl, Seattle's form since has thrown that into doubt a little bit.

Their remaining schedule is obviously going to be weighted towards away games, and there are some challenging ones for them. They are @ Patriots, @Raiders, @Rams, v Dolphins @ Chiefs, v Bills, @Chargers, @Bengals, v Raiders. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they end 15-1, but it's also not crazy to suggest they might finish 12-4 or thereabouts. That might not be good enough for homefield all the way through.
Good point re Denver's schedule and maybe I'll wait and see for a while on that one.

I'm sticking to my guns about McCoy and RGIII though. I know RG3 has a huge profile and reputation, but I can only go on what I've seen of him and anytime I've seen him play in the last 2 years he was woeful and looked less mobile and elusive than McCoy was against Dallas. I'd have RG3 as the most over rated sportsman in the world, since Beckham left the scene. He'll be back soon to prove me right anyway.  :)

If RG3 can get back to the form of his first season then it's a no-brainer but you're right, he has been painfully average since then. I would cut him a little slack for that though. He was obviously rushed back and was not ready for last season. His start this season was more worrying. Long term though it is hard to see Colt McCoy being a franchise quarterback. I think the Redskins need to establish for once and for all where they are with RG3 and that's another reason they have to start him.

Asal Mor

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2014, 08:48:44 AM
If RG3 can get back to the form of his first season then it's a no-brainer but you're right, he has been painfully average since then. I would cut him a little slack for that though. He was obviously rushed back and was not ready for last season. His start this season was more worrying. Long term though it is hard to see Colt McCoy being a franchise quarterback. I think the Redskins need to establish for once and for all where they are with RG3 and that's another reason they have to start him.
That's a good point Seanie. Long term RG3 is probably the only one of the two that could be the solution but I'm not sure he'll ever physically be right again. He really struggled to avoid sacks in 2013(in 2012 was sacked twice per game, up to 3 per game in 2013) and his rushing stats were way down, too.

Syferus

He was coming back sooner than he should have from a horrible double cruciate injury. You see GAA players taking two years to get back to pre-injury levels, for all the money RG3's camp have pumped into getting him fit he's still only human. Too early to write him off.

McCoy got the short end of the stick in Cleveland, he's a solid QB and a good leader. Not great power in his arm but he's comparable to an Andy Dalton or a lesser Russell Wilson (under-sized, can move). He could start for a few teams in the league but now he's shown well he should be in the upper tier of back-ups in the league and after bouncing around the league for a while (ending up as a #3 QB) that's something in itself.

Gabriel_Hurl

Some performance in the playoffs by Madison Bumgarner - one for the ages 

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2014, 02:15:10 PM
He was coming back sooner than he should have from a horrible double cruciate injury. You see GAA players taking two years to get back to pre-injury levels, for all the money RG3's camp have pumped into getting him fit he's still only human. Too early to write him off.

McCoy got the short end of the stick in Cleveland, he's a solid QB and a good leader. Not great power in his arm but he's comparable to an Andy Dalton or a lesser Russell Wilson (under-sized, can move). He could start for a few teams in the league but now he's shown well he should be in the upper tier of back-ups in the league and after bouncing around the league for a while (ending up as a #3 QB) that's something in itself.

That's true but they don't seem to have learned anything and are rushing him back again. Should have held off until after the bye week. I think the damage might be done already in any case. Imo he's lost a few percent physically that he'll never get back. McCoy deserves to start the next game in any case but you're right that the game against the Cowboys puts his career back on track. The Americans attach too much importance to having all the right physical attributes but a quick look around the league tells you it's mostly about what's between the ears.

Linkbox

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 30, 2014, 02:27:53 PM
Some performance in the playoffs by Madison Bumgarner - one for the ages

Brilliant. Fantastic series. The Chevy MVP presentation after was the highlight. Awkward bastard. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHA8RNA1QZc

magpie seanie

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 30, 2014, 11:36:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2014, 02:15:10 PM

That's true but they don't seem to have learned anything and are rushing him back again. Should have held off until after the bye week. I think the damage might be done already in any case. Imo he's lost a few percent physically that he'll never get back. McCoy deserves to start the next game in any case but you're right that the game against the Cowboys puts his career back on track. The Americans attach too much importance to having all the right physical attributes but a quick look around the league tells you it's mostly about what's between the ears.

I think that's one of the key differences between college and NFL football, especially at the QB position. Probably because NFL defences are so good, so fast - you can't beat them with athleticism alone.