American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Josh Gordon suspended for a year for smoking pot.

Ray Rice suspended 2 games for beating his wife unconscious.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

Guess the Brownies will go to pot, but the Belt-her-More Cravens will be knock-out his year.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on August 27, 2014, 06:12:32 PM
Josh Gordon suspended for a year for smoking pot.

Ray Rice suspended 2 games for beating his wife unconscious.

To be fair Gordon has been suspended before and just can't seem to avoid trouble. I know it's something that isn't even a crime in all US states but he should not be doing this. It's a terrible shame because he is such a class player.

Ray Rice's suspension is a joke though.

Linkbox

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2014, 09:25:26 AM
Quote from: Linkbox on August 20, 2014, 04:23:24 AM
Manziel is a clown but the fans will chant his name if he doesn't get the number 1 spot and they start to struggle. Happened with Tebow (where the hell is he now?!).

I've been keeping tabs on hard knocks which is always worth a watch. William Moore had a ridiculous palm tree in his house. No wonder the bankruptcy rate of former players is sky high.

Tebow is out of football at the moment, but I've seen a few comments that if he came back and tried as a Tight End or a Full Back he might be able to make a career for himself. He doesn't seem keen on that. He could never throw an NFL ball, so Manziel does have that over him, but Tebow was a lot bigger than Manziel, so the old scrambling around is more likely to end up in a car crash for Manziel. And to be honest, I will smile the first time a Steelers linebacker says hello.

On another note, Darnell Dockett is out for the season for the Cardinals. Seriously bad news. Their defense is the rock they will be built on, and Dockett is a huge player and a major leader.

You and me both.

Best place to buy tickets for a regular season NFL game lads? Stubhub? Seems to be cheaper than ticketmaster. Anywhere else? Catching the Giants in December. Can't wait.

magpie seanie

Super win for da Bears last night to make up for the opening day muck up. Expected them to be 1-1 after these two games but not this way! Stayed up to watch it but fell asleep at 17-0 down and knocked it off! Was a pleasant surprise when I woke up this morning. 3 TD passes in the 4th quarter by Cutler swung it. Most importantly though the defense held up. A few injuries but it seems to be an epidemic across the league at this stage!

AZOffaly

Cardinals top of the NFC West Baby!!! 2-0 after a mad win in New York. Backup QB and about 5 other big names missing, and they still get it done, thanks to some absolutely daft New York miscues.

NFL Gamepass is the business as well. I was sitting down, playing it through my iPAd and Apple TV onto the telly in the sitting room. Brilliant stuff.

RealSpiritof98

Stayed up to watch it myself Seanie, went to the pit a H/T with my 49ers looking good, but the refs were atrocious. It will turn into Basketball if their not careful. Fair play to the bears for hanging in there and coming out with the win. The Redzone was great viewing and im glad i dont gamble anymore because there are landmines everywhere this season.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

RealSpiritof98

49ers imploding here, some terrible lack of discipline, refs tough on a few calls. AZ will be happy, value for their win tho.

AZOffaly

Great win. Delighted with it. The Cardinals Radio guys were slating the refs though. They couldn't believe some of the calls on the 49ers. Ron Wolfley said something like 'Of course we'll take it, but wait until we're on the receiving end. These are horrible calls'.

But still, delighted to be 3-0 and atop the NFC West heading into a bye week. To win 2 games with the backup QB is great as well.

magpie seanie

Nice win on the road again last night for da Bears. Lots of people predicted a Jets win in this one which I found surprising. They've a decent front 7 on defense but are only mediocre elsewhere. Not vintage from da Bears but great to see Jeffery back on song. Huuuuugge game next Sunday in Soldier Field vs. the fudge. They're a little down - now is the time to keep the foot on the throat.

AZOffaly

Did anyone notice the surnames of the scorers in the Patriots - Raiders game? Apparently the first game in history where all scorers have been 'kowskis'.

Rob Gronkowski and Steven Gostkowski scored for the Pats. Sebastian Janikowski kicked the Raiders points. The Pole Bowl.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2014, 12:26:14 PM
Did anyone notice the surnames of the scorers in the Patriots - Raiders game? Apparently the first game in history where all scorers have been 'kowskis'.

Rob Gronkowski and Steven Gostkowski scored for the Pats. Sebastian Janikowski kicked the Raiders points. The Pole Bowl.

They do love keeping track of their stats! Why anyone would have the information to verify or refute that is beyond me.

AZOffaly

It is a bit of an oddity though. I suppose that's why someone noticed. All you'd have to do then is look for the players with kowski and run some query on scorers in matches. Not that hard I'd say.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2014, 02:44:14 PM
It is a bit of an oddity though. I suppose that's why someone noticed. All you'd have to do then is look for the players with kowski and run some query on scorers in matches. Not that hard I'd say.

True. That would require you to both find it particularly interesting and notable personally and also believe that your viewers would care hearing about it to go the effort of writing the query and publishing the results though!

Don't get me wrong, I love American Football and the NBA but sometimes the stats they come up with are bizarre. E.g., in basketball when highlighting somebody's box score they might tell you that Player X was the only one to go 31-13-7 over the last 17 games. Very strange frames of reference sometimes.