American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

For me, the 5v12 games are always good auld upset chances.

Ball Hopper

Only time for this to happen:  In 2002 Maryland team is the only #1 seed who has won the championship by defeating a #16, 8, 4, 2, and 1 seed — the predicted possible seeds in each round — en route to the final.

So the only thing we can predict...is unpredictability!!!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 18, 2014, 04:28:00 PM

Harvard fit the bill nicely there. 

Minder

Hester to the Falcons & Jared Allen to the Seahawks, Seattle will have an even better pass rush next year.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Carmen Stateside

Manhattan College was very close to the mother of all shocks last night against the reigning national champs Louisville. Two big late threes from Louisville got them over the line , just!
Wasn't over till 1:30 am eastern time. Can't keep eyes open today!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on March 20, 2014, 08:54:29 PM
Hester to the Falcons & Jared Allen to the Seahawks, Seattle will have an even better pass rush next year.

Sad to see Heater go but with so much surgery required to the defense he was an unaffordable luxury. Would have loved to see Allen come to the Bears - a great addition for Seattle.

stew

Damn AZ you are good!

I got 15 out of 16 right yesterday and am tied at the top of my pool, I lost today with Duke and expect to be about 6th out of 300 by days end, $50.00 for a pool and the top twenty pay out) if I finish 10tI get $500.00, not too shabby!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: stew on March 21, 2014, 08:06:25 PM

Damn AZ you are good!

I got 15 out of 16 right yesterday and am tied at the top of my pool, I lost today with Duke and expect to be about 6th out of 300 by days end, $50.00 for a pool and the top twenty pay out) if I finish 10tI get $500.00, not too shabby!

Three of the four 12 seeds win.  Mercer impressive in beating Duke.  Having 5 seniors start every game this season for Mercer has them physically more mature than any opponent.  They could go on a run...

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 21, 2014, 12:41:42 PM

Sad to see Heater go but with so much surgery required to the defense he was an unaffordable luxury. Would have loved to see Allen come to the Bears - a great addition for Seattle.

So Jarad Allen did go to the Bears, 4 year contract.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Iceman

All American Wrestler Dan Henderson at age 43 TKO'd former UFC LHW Champion Shogun Rua on home turf in Brazil on Sunday Night. Henderson, who was taking a bit of a beating for 10 minutes and suffered two knockdowns, caught Rua with his now infamous H-Bomb and gave Rua's nose another post code. Worth a watch lads if any of you like MMA and haven't seen it. Also on the same card (though a very boring fight) was Bushmills Fighter Norman Parke who fought to a draw with another Brazilian on home turf.
An additional 2 MMA fighters from Dublin's SBG have been picked for the upcoming season of the Ultimate Fighter. Worth watching. Irish MMA is on the rise on the world stage now!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on March 26, 2014, 01:02:36 PM

Delighted with that. Probably overpaid a bit and a 4 yr contract for a guy who is almost 32 but if he plays up to his usual level he could be a top player for da Bears for a couple of seasons. Need to address the centre of the defense now - Defensive tackle and safety will be high priorities in the draft.

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2014, 10:46:47 AM

Delighted with that. Probably overpaid a bit and a 4 yr contract for a guy who is almost 32 but if he plays up to his usual level he could be a top player for da Bears for a couple of seasons. Need to address the centre of the defense now - Defensive tackle and safety will be high priorities in the draft.

It's only two years guaranteed money of 15m on the contract so not as over the top as it looks and certainly cheaper than keeping a 34 years old Peppers. Hopefully he can play a bit better than last year and doesn't spend all year chasing his personal sack records rather than defending for the team. We need to draft Ha Ha Clinton Dix or CJ Mosely if they are still on the board for us cause we are badly short at Safety and linebacker at the moment!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on March 27, 2014, 11:18:16 AM

It's only two years guaranteed money of 15m on the contract so not as over the top as it looks and certainly cheaper than keeping a 34 years old Peppers. Hopefully he can play a bit better than last year and doesn't spend all year chasing his personal sack records rather than defending for the team. We need to draft Ha Ha Clinton Dix or CJ Mosely if they are still on the board for us cause we are badly short at Safety and linebacker at the moment!!

Agreed. Think DE now has depth so a good rotation can keep all guys fresh and productive. It's a big chance (you'd hope) for Allen to win somethnig so hopefully he is more team-oriented as you mention.

Don't follow college ball all that closely but lots of mcoks show Bears taking Clinton Dix. Is it not a bit early for a safety?

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2014, 11:48:06 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 27, 2014, 11:18:16 AM

Agreed. Think DE now has depth so a good rotation can keep all guys fresh and productive. It's a big chance (you'd hope) for Allen to win somethnig so hopefully he is more team-oriented as you mention.

Don't follow college ball all that closely but lots of mcoks show Bears taking Clinton Dix. Is it not a bit early for a safety?

Not really considering the drop of the QB's after their pro workouts so a lot of defensive players are going to go quick with teams thinking they can pick up a QB lower in the draft. Dix is rated right up there ( I didn't see him last year but watched him and Mosely in 2013 and they were brilliant for "Bama") and we need a safety so if he is still there we will take him although I think St. Louis might pinch him before us.Kalvin Prior is another option at Safety in the draft ( although I must admit I haven't seen him play) but again if Mosely is there I would take him before both Dix/Prior and maybe draft a safety in round 2!