American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 21, 2014, 05:45:05 PM
I don't like Carroll because of his stupid smug face
+1
I got not clue about what he did or didnt do as a college coach, but I can't stand the chap. A face you'd love to slap.
Still glad they won. I generally like the Seattle team, and I don't like the Niners coach either, but I'll be shouting for the Broncos on Sunday week

magpie seanie

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 21, 2014, 05:12:54 PM
Really Seany? You aren't sure if the head coach knew about this? Let me give you the answer. Dam sure he knew about it. In regards to USC, simply put, he bailed on a sinking ship. He knew 100% what was coming down , and got the f**k out of dodge...
Bellichick was right, Welker cleaned out Talib on an illegal hit, that wasn't flagged.

Belichick said it was deliberate play to take the player outand "one of the worst plays I've ever seen". If you think he is correct you are away with the fairies. Belichick said this calmly at a press conference the following day, not in the heat of the moment like Sherman's rant. It was a despicable allegation which is clearly untrue. It was an accidental collision and was not a penalty either as the ball was hitting Demaryius Thomas' hands as this happened.

If Denver were going to get someone to take Talib out maybe they could have used someone bigger or someone who hasn't a big history of (recent) concussions? Ridiculous.

As for the suggestion that Pete Carroll should have stayed at USC to take his punishment - you must be completely mad!!! Nobody would do that - why should they??? That's like saying Reggie Bush should have turned down his NFL contracts or stopped playing when the facts came to light. Again - ridiculous.

ONeill

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 20, 2013, 03:18:19 AM
A few thoughts after watching a few of the games from last weekend.
That was a really bad beating San Fran took from Seattle and I don't fancy their chances of reversing it next time, even at home. If Wilson had been on his passing game, the score would have been embarrassing. San Fran's offensive and defensive lines were hammered, their receivers couldn't get an inch and Gore got nothing either. The 49ers best receiver Boldin, made his first catch late on, when the game was over. Richard Sherman had the beating of him all day. The only time the 49ers looked a bit dangerous was when Kappernick stopped minding himself and started running. I'd say if they met in the playoffs we'd see a lot more of that and that in turn might create more opportunities for Gore and the receivers. I can't see them beating Seattle if Kapp stays in the pocket, even though he's a brilliant passer. His targets are struggling to get open against this defense. I know it's only 1 game but it raised a lot of serious questions about this 49ers team.

Seattle are 1 powerful team and their running game is close to unstoppable. Themselves and Denver look way ahead of the rest.

Good call back in Sept.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cadhlancian

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 21, 2014, 11:44:58 PM
Really Seany? You aren't sure if the head coach knew about this? Let me give you the answer. Dam sure he knew about it. In regards to USC, simply put, he bailed on a sinking ship. He knew 100% what was coming down , and got the f**k out of dodge...
Bellichick was right, Welker cleaned out Talib on an illegal hit, that wasn't flagged.

Belichick said it was deliberate play to take the player outand "one of the worst plays I've ever seen". If you think he is correct you are away with the fairies. Belichick said this calmly at a press conference the following day, not in the heat of the moment like Sherman's rant. It was a despicable allegation which is clearly untrue. It was an accidental collision and was not a penalty either as the ball was hitting Demaryius Thomas' hands as this happened.

If Denver were going to get someone to take Talib out maybe they could have used someone bigger or someone who hasn't a big history of (recent) concussions? Ridiculous.

As for the suggestion that Pete Carroll should have stayed at USC to take his punishment - you must be completely mad!!! Nobody would do that - why should they??? That's like saying Reggie Bush should have turned down his NFL contracts or stopped playing when the facts came to light. Again - ridiculous.
Accidental collision ? Are you blind? It was a CLEAR pick play. 100% a penalty and was acknowledged as much by EVERY analyst after the game. Pete Carroll was involved or knew of everything that happened at USC. He faced zero sanctions, regardless  of where he went afterwards. You are ridiculous if you don't think that Carroll knew his DBs were juicing in Seattle last year.

cadhlancian

Quote from: ONeill on January 22, 2014, 12:33:07 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 20, 2013, 03:18:19 AM
A few thoughts after watching a few of the games from last weekend.
That was a really bad beating San Fran took from Seattle and I don't fancy their chances of reversing it next time, even at home. If Wilson had been on his passing game, the score would have been embarrassing. San Fran's offensive and defensive lines were hammered, their receivers couldn't get an inch and Gore got nothing either. The 49ers best receiver Boldin, made his first catch late on, when the game was over. Richard Sherman had the beating of him all day. The only time the 49ers looked a bit dangerous was when Kappernick stopped minding himself and started running. I'd say if they met in the playoffs we'd see a lot more of that and that in turn might create more opportunities for Gore and the receivers. I can't see them beating Seattle if Kapp stays in the pocket, even though he's a brilliant passer. His targets are struggling to get open against this defense. I know it's only 1 game but it raised a lot of serious questions about this 49ers team.

Seattle are 1 powerful team and their running game is close to unstoppable. Themselves and Denver look way ahead of the rest.

Good call back in Sept.
they were the fav and 2nd favs in September ?

Muck Savage

I'm not suggesting Carroll stay at at sinking ship but I think he should have been equally hit by a ban on coaching in college or the NFL for a few years. He knew all what was going on but instead all the player there 3-4 years later at USC still can't play in a Bowl. Not all coaches are at it, Harbaugh was clean at Stanford and he's been clean in the NFL. I'd be really surprised if there was any underhanded going on at Stanford such is their recruit standard.

The Iceman

So why did and does Pete C know about everything going on and some other coaches don't? Oh yeah because you don't like the look of him.
And he should have been sanctioned or fined like everyone else but he wasn't - which is his fault not the controlling body because you don't like the look of him.

Go hawks!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

I don't like Pete Carroll because I think a) He actively propagated the abuses at USC, but more importantly,b) I just think he acts like a knob and I don't like the big chawy head on him.

Of course, I am a Cardinals fan and that must be factored in when considering the rationality of my dislike of Carroll. :)

Minder

NFL head of refs said Welker hit on Talib was "a legal play".

Good article on the "pick" play, it's a tough one for refs to differentiate.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/15/new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-afc-championship-game-pick-plays/
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

our_fella

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 22, 2014, 12:37:29 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 21, 2014, 11:44:58 PM

Accidental collision ? Are you blind? It was a CLEAR pick play. 100% a penalty and was acknowledged as much by EVERY analyst after the game. Pete Carroll was involved or knew of everything that happened at USC. He faced zero sanctions, regardless  of where he went afterwards. You are ridiculous if you don't think that Carroll knew his DBs were juicing in Seattle last year.

Dont know what analysts you were listening to mate, but on NFL.com the next day, 90% of the people said it was accidental? why the hell would you use someone so small to take out Talib??

AZOffaly

By the way, I'm listening on audio books to 'The Last Headbangers' which is about the 1970s NFL, and it goes back a bit to the foundation of the NFL. I hadn't realised but there are only 2 original teams left from when George Halas started the whole thing in 1920. The Bears, which was Halas' team (They wear Orange and Navy because Halas went to U of Illinois, and still wear GSH on their sleeves), and the Cardinals. And the Cardinals are the only ones that still bear the original name. The Bears were originally the Decatur Staleys.

Another interesting side note, if you've played football in San Francisco and played in Keyzar Stadium there, you are treading the ground of the old 49ers :)

AZOffaly

The Brother is on his honeymoon at the moment, and is on the way to Hawaii, and he's heading to the Pro Bowl on Sunday. I know it's only a glorified challenge match, but to be able to see all them lads in the one place would be great. The bastard.

smort

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2014, 10:58:06 AM
The Brother is on his honeymoon at the moment, and is on the way to Hawaii, and he's heading to the Pro Bowl on Sunday. I know it's only a glorified challenge match, but to be able to see all them lads in the one place would be great. The b**tard.

Lucky lucky man. That would be ideal as you may never get to an NFL game. Has anyone been to any of the Wembley games?

AZOffaly

Yeah, we've been to a few. I'm an ex-season ticket holder of the Cardinals as well from my time in Arizona. The brother would have seen a couple there as a young lad, and a few of the Wembley games.

One of my favourite sporting memories is that I saw Steve Young's last TD Pass to Jerry Rice on a Monday Night Football game in Arizona. Young was creeled by Aneas Williams on a corner blitz and got concussed shortly afterwards. Young never played again.

The reason I remember it is because it was a game I saw Young and Rice combine for a TD, even though I was a Cardinals fan. The Pro Bowl will have a plethora of those star names.

deiseach

How do season tickets work in the NFL? Do you pay up front to go to all the matches like in English soccer or are you a member who gets first refusal?